Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Comtacs and ITAR

:

Gear Discussion

Old January 4th, 2016, 19:01   #1
JayGus

Comtacs and ITAR

Hey, just wondering if anybody knows if Comtac IIIs are itar restricted. Ive gone through the itar restrictions and cant really make sense of them regarding this. Furthermore, I cannot find any info that supports or denys their restriction. The reason I as is because I found a set for a steal from across the border.

Thanks in advance for any info.
JayGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 20:23   #2
redzaku

Why not save yourself some hassle and get them in Canada?
Http://srstactical.ca/3m-peltor-comt...n-headset.html
За Родину!
BRRRRRT!
redzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 22:22   #3
JayGus

Just followed the link, those are non-communication headsets. Comtac 3s that are comm compatible are 650+ from that same site. The set im looking at down south is comm compatible and half that price, thus my asking.
Old January 5th, 2016, 00:30   #4
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

SRS can likely bring them in for you. They're a good shop. Try giving them a call and specifying what you're looking for, that way you won't get raped by Purolator and import fees, or ITAR, or CBSA, or whatever...
Old January 5th, 2016, 00:34   #5
Short Round
Najohn

This thread says they are ITAR, and generally with my understanding of most retailers that sell ITAR restricted items, usually that means if one product is ITAR, the rest of them are ITAR as well.

IE. Magpul products are ITAR, so although the PMAG iPhone cases they make are exactly that, an iPhone Case, you still cannot import it.

Your best bet is to contact the retailer and ask if they can ship it to Canada.
Old January 5th, 2016, 02:09   #6
Amoki

Peltor ComTacs are made in SWEDEN.

When they arrive on USA soil they instantly got this whiff of USA STRONK, undergo transubstantiation, and becomes magically restricted by ITAR. This is the same case with Aimpoints (made in Sweden) as well as NVG tubes by Photonis (France), Harder Digital (German-Serbia), and Katod & Ekran (Russian). Once they arrive on USA soil, they instantly become transubstantiat-ed into some sort of equipment vital to USA military interest to be protected by the powers-that-be from the evil that threaten world peace and freedom.

In other words, if you buy it from an official 3M dealer in Canada (or any region of the world), they're not protected by ITAR. But if you buy it from a seller in the USA, they're protected by ITAR. If you purchase them across the border and bring them to the land of maple syrup and hockey, then they're no longer ITAR.

Last edited by Amoki; January 5th, 2016 at 03:23..
Amoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 10:40   #7
WPJ

Except the you broke the itar regulations by bringing them across the boarder. So dont get caught.
WPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 13:04   #8
Danke

ITAR is a a US regulation enforced by the Department of Commerce.

The onus is on the exporter in the USA to make sure they have the proper paperwork to export.

Since the USA has such a huge captive market and the paperwork to export is like doing a tax return most US sellers won't bother with outside CONUS.

Some of the bigger guys (Optics Planet for example) will even refuse to ship non-restricted items because it subjects them to extra scrutiny.
Old January 5th, 2016, 20:20   #9
JayGus

Thanks for the insight guys, I appreciate it. I will say that its from a third party dealer who sells mil surplus, thus my asking. I mean, I could aways use a broker that ships from a po box. But that adds extra cost that I really dont want to pay.
Old January 5th, 2016, 20:40   #10
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGus View Post
Thanks for the insight guys, I appreciate it. I will say that its from a third party dealer who sells mil surplus, thus my asking. I mean, I could aways use a broker that ships from a po box. But that adds extra cost that I really dont want to pay.
Yup. You're talking about extra time and money and our dollar right now is the shits. Trust us and contact the store in Calgary.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion