Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tips For Removing Stripped Pistol Grip Screw?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old May 13th, 2019, 23:05   #1
The Phoenix Reborn

Tips For Removing Stripped Pistol Grip Screw?

Trying to swap out an old grip on one of my M4s and I'm having trouble removing one the screws because it seems it was way over-tightened out of the box. I can see / feel the head beginning to strip because my screwdriver is losing grip and I don't want to wear this thing down any further until I've figured something out - If it helps, the gun is a VFC VR16 CQB II (Mk.18)

Any tips on the best way to remove a stripped phillips-type screw from inside the confines of an M4 pistol grip?

And also, what are the screw-specs for this type of screw so I can go get some better ones from the hardware store?

[CLARIFICATION] - The screw I'm referring to is not the grip panel screw that lets you access the motor, it is the screw that attaches the grip to the gun itself after you've removed the motor from the inside

Many thanks in advance!
The Phoenix Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 18:15   #2
Full-Auto-Seer

If it's already stripped out, this is your best bet, and then find some replacement screws.

http://www.aldn.com/Pages/grabitMicro.php

Canadian Tire should have them. They've saved a gearbox of mine before.
Old May 14th, 2019, 20:01   #3
Cr0nik

The old rubber band + screw driver trick.
If you're in a pinch and need to improvise something try it:

Cr0nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 04:18   #4
The Phoenix Reborn

@ Full-Auto-Seer - Will keep that in mind! The screw still has a bit of meat left in it so I may try to see if I can get some grip using a torx bit. Do you know the size and dimension of the screw that's typically used to hold these M4 grips?

@ Cr0nik - Tried that, but unfortunately no dice. May also try aluminum foil as well to see if that works to fill in the gap a bit more

Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2019, 14:35   #5
Full-Auto-Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phoenix Reborn View Post
@ Full-Auto-Seer - Will keep that in mind! The screw still has a bit of meat left in it so I may try to see if I can get some grip using a torx bit. Do you know the size and dimension of the screw that's typically used to hold these M4 grips?

@ Cr0nik - Tried that, but unfortunately no dice. May also try aluminum foil as well to see if that works to fill in the gap a bit more

Thanks!
I don't know the type of screw exactly, but you can probably check at an airsoft/hardware store to try and find screws with the same gauge and pitch.
Old May 15th, 2019, 18:56   #6
The Phoenix Reborn

Yeah, I did some asking-around and as it turns out, you can actually use the same kind of screws found in PCs. Did a test earlier today on my grip and it works like a charm, so the replacement has been taken care of. Now I just have that one stripped screw to content with lol
Old May 16th, 2019, 17:49   #7
Danke

Part one. Do the other 3 bolts up tight.

Part two. Use a solid screwdriver. No little thumbwheel ones.

Part three. Clamp or secure the receiver so you can use 2 hands on the screwdriver.

Part four. Lean your weight with your palm on the driver so it can't cam out of the head and slowly wind out the damaged screw. Throw it out so you're not tempted to use it in a pinch. You'll have 3 good ones to use as comparison.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner