Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Frequently Asked Questions
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft and Canadian Law - Important Readme for New Folks (cleaned)

:

Frequently Asked Questions

Closed Thread

Old July 8th, 2008, 23:46   #76
Donster

im afraid i still dont understand why we cant classify airsoft as firearms and get a place like Wolverine Supplies to order it for us assuming we all have our PAL and such. can someone explain that to me?
Old July 9th, 2008, 00:04   #77
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONSTER 125 View Post
im afraid i still dont understand why we cant classify airsoft as firearms and get a place like Wolverine Supplies to order it for us assuming we all have our PAL and such. can someone explain that to me?
well first i really doubt the idea of airsoft can be considered a shooting sport like hunting or target shooting

furthur more if they were to be classified as firearms would we not have to abide by the same restrictions that firearms carry?
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:26   #78
StarfuryMS

Send a message via MSN to StarfuryMS
The Ideal solution for all this of course, would be if the government could be convinced that there is nothing inherently "wrong" with airsoft guns, and grant them their own section under the Firearms act that defines exactly what an airsoft gun is, and allows their import, purchase and sale. Of course, there would have to be some restrictions to appease the gun control nuts, like only being able to buy them if you are over 18. It would also be nice if they recognized Airsoft as a sport, like paint ball. That would make things so much simpler, wouldn't it?

Of course, trying to get the government to do anything sensible is like banging your head on a brick wall , isn't it? lol
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:12   #79
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONSTER 125 View Post
We've been through this a thousand times. If airsoft guns were "firearms", all of the restrictions that apply to firearms would apply to airsoft. ALL of them. So.. 5 round mags, no full auto, and we wouldn't be allowed to shoot them at eachother.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
Old July 9th, 2008, 16:38   #80
gabe_guitarded

Get it shooting upwards of 407 FPS then downgrade it to less than 407fps and see if it stops being classified as a firearm even though it was imported as one. This probably won't work but it's an idea I guess.

P.S. StarfuryMS +1

Last edited by gabe_guitarded; July 9th, 2008 at 16:41..
Old July 9th, 2008, 16:46   #81
The Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe_guitarded View Post
Get it shooting upwards of 407 FPS then downgrade it to less than 407fps and see if it stops being classified as a firearm even though it was imported as one. This probably won't work but it's an idea I guess.
There's an entire dozen page thread on why that wouldn't work. The short of it is that the 407fps rule has no bearing in actual law.
Old July 10th, 2008, 15:35   #82

Mirror the VCR Act in the UK.

Works for them. Can work for us. Let's start a petition and send it to the public safety minister.

Just a thought, anyways.

Last edited by 808; July 10th, 2008 at 15:36.. Reason: Atrocious spelling
Old July 10th, 2008, 15:56   #83
The Saint

The VCRA was decidingly anti-airsoft. It still is. The only reason the British airsofters were able to save themselves was because 1. there are a hell of a lot of them, and 2. they were able to participate in the process behind VCRA. There aren't a lot of us, and the Firearms Act is a decade old and difficult to change. Finally, the defence provided for British airsofters is pretty crappy.

We don't need public petitions. Petitions do nothing, especially when it's tiny. If we need anything at all, it's another policy push.
Old July 10th, 2008, 16:15   #84

If you have any other ideas on how to start a policy push - you're welcome to share them.

And as anti-airsoft as the VCRA is, it still allows UK airsofters to own, operate, and import airsoft guns & equipment.

Old July 10th, 2008, 17:13   #85
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
If you have any other ideas on how to start a policy push - you're welcome to share them.

And as anti-airsoft as the VCRA is, it still allows UK airsofters to own, operate, and import airsoft guns & equipment.
The difference is in the UK the law didn't exist to make airsoft illegal. In canada it already does and has for 10 years.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:10   #86
airsoft7895

if you are under the age of 18 would a parent be able to verify you?
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:47   #87
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by airsoft7895 View Post
if you are under the age of 18 would a parent be able to verify you?
the purpose of verification is too keep minors out of the classifieds that would defeat the purpose would it not?
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:58   #88
Dirtbag

Regulation not law

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
The difference is in the UK the law didn't exist to make airsoft illegal. In canada it already does and has for 10 years.
Airsoft is not illegal by law, but rather regulation. The criminal code defines that replica's are illegal. The firearms regulations define what is a replica, which is the problem or our saving grace depending on how you look at it. Some office worker decides that this airgun is a replica and this one is not, they do not have to justify anything, there is no debate (that we know of). Regulation changes, yesterday you were a law abiding citizen today you are a criminal in possession of a a prohibited device, and as icing on the cake with little or no notice.

Ok that is a simplification, but none the less that is how it works. While in fact there is little or no difference between much of the clearsoft and regular airsoft the regulation says one is illegal to import and one is not.

Until the various gun groups, and airgun groups get together this will be a downhill battle. Staying "under the Radar" has never and will never work, you need to be out in the public eye all the time. Demand your rights and hammer on all those who claim you are dangerous or an abberation. Worked for the gay community, should work for firearms people too.
Old July 14th, 2008, 15:13   #89
MillerBRo

Indeed- for as much as we see airsoft guns as a great sport the average canadian is seemingly VERY anti-gun. Just last night on the news there was a BIG report on some idiots out in Vancouver who were looking at their hunting rifles on a public street. Someone passing by called it in and the cops swooped in on them. The guns were all legal, all legally licenced and owned... but displaying them even casually on the street had the neighbors dialing 911. After the police arrested the owner the neighbors all came out and congradulated themselves in front of the TV camera... it seemed a little... over reactionary to me but to them they had just removed a 'menace' from their neighborhood.
Old July 14th, 2008, 15:28   #90
Long_Bong

To make even more sense of out of this, I spoke with the police analys in charge of releasing weapon permit in Quebec. Here is the law down here (at least, provincial wise):

You can own a AK (or any firearm) that was disabled by a certified weapon tech. You don t need a permit, licence, or any document, no need to register it as well. All you need is certificate stating that it was disabled by a qualified weapon tech. But if it shoot stuff (pellet, BB, etc) it become a replica and it illegal... But, if you go to canadian tire, you can get a Crossman pellet pistol that look very real to me... Make no sense...

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Frequently Asked Questions