Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Side-by-side vs double/triple mag pouch reload speed

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:17   #16
Grizzly0679

good suggestions here I hadn't considered before (newb to airsoft). I like especially like the idea of facing full mags a different than empty ones. I was wondering what people do and if they use side pouches to drop empty mags, but unless side pouches come with draw strings, I didn't like the idea of being concerned about stuff falling out. Facing the mags diff. directions is a good simple solution.

Also, what about prone? Do you guys ever have an issue with breaking mags because you were prone(since the mags pouches are usually on the chest/stomach)? It's for this reason I'd rather get a side holster for my pistol than buy a vest with the holster on the front. I don't know...it just seems like it's begging to break.

Does anyone here keep their mag pouches, say, on the sides of their waist? Or does that make it cumbersome to run?
Grizzly0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:09   #17
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

I generally run a 1st line with 2 mags on the left hip.. these are easy access when prone.. roll the hip up.. pull the mag.. reload.

Second line .. I run a chest rig.. I have a few.. but generally side by side , not doubled.. to keep the profile low.
I have panels of Ten speed elastic pouches covering the front of the rig.. so if I need a heavy mag loadout .. I can almost double my loadout .. but not fatten up the rig too much..

I cycle full mags to my front weak side pouches from other locations whenever there is a lull in the fight.. so I am always loading from my fastest location.

I put used but not empty mags bullets/bbs up back into pouches on the strong side.. mining my dump pouch .. at every lull in the fight.

only dead empty mags remain in the dump pouch.

So.. in a fight.. I load from my fastest pouch.. depending on my posture.. prone I load from my first line as this is most accessable while keeping low.

at every break in the fight.. the first thing I do is put a fresh mag in.. and then replenish my primary pouches from other pouches.. and then mine my dump pouch to replenish the strong side pouches.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 14:05   #18
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

One thing I've learned from experience now is the old STANAG mags can slide along one another. where as things like PMAGs when you go to grab 1 mag from the pouch it really wants to pull the other mag(s) out with it.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 16:07   #19
Grizzly0679

^ interesting points guys.

So, Brian, you recommend a side pouch for empty mags? do you ever have an issue with stuff falling out? or are the pouches deep enough? I like the idea of first and second line gear for different scenarios.

I was actually looking into PMAGS...thanks for the info, Cobalt. One of those cases where basic gear > fancy stuff.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 16:49   #20
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly0679 View Post
^ interesting points guys.

So, Brian, you recommend a side pouch for empty mags? do you ever have an issue with stuff falling out? or are the pouches deep enough? I like the idea of first and second line gear for different scenarios.

I was actually looking into PMAGS...thanks for the info, Cobalt. One of those cases where basic gear > fancy stuff.
nope.. all mags are in mag pouches... empties are in the dump pouch

Ill swap empties to my most right side mag pouches .. bullets up.. so I can see/ feel their condition..

I don't leave mags in the dump pouch for long.. as they get dirty and lost in there.

so I have full mags bullets down on weak side pouches... partial mags bullets up on right side close and emptied mags either in the dump pouch or in the far right side pouches..

Everything gets constantly moved to the left.. so I have the most full mags available in my fastest reload pouch..

I am always moving mags .. whenever I get a chance..

this helps also when I go to reload mags.. I know every mag that is bullets down in the pouch is a fullie... everything else needs topping up
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite

Last edited by Brian McIlmoyle; March 23rd, 2012 at 16:52..
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 15:36   #21
Grizzly0679

cool. Rifle is purchased, and I'm going to see a local store for all my accessories. That said, I'm still in the process of choosing gear(surfing amazon, etc... for ideas). Maybe i'll post what I want and get your input.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures