Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

How to be a squad/front-line radio man

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old June 15th, 2011, 01:32   #1
Ozone06

Talking How to be a squad/front-line radio man

After the Zombies game at Picton earlier this month I have discovered a great affinity to the role of squad/platoon Radio man for milsim or well organized skrims.

I have an okay rig for this role at the moment, A Cavalvy Elite II tactical headset (the Bowman 2) and the matching U94 PTT hooked up to a Puxing-888 (5w) with an extended antenna.

I'm been looking for basic and more advanced etiquette/how to's to develop myself in that role. Trouble is I'm not finding much material. I'll link what I've found...

This one is pretty good
http://cert-boone.com/Training/BC-10...o_Training.pdf
his one seems rudimentary.
http://wiki.bf2s.com/tactical-guides...nication-guide

I haven't found anything more detailed than then Boone county CERT document.

Any advise or thoughts on where to look or if you have some feedback on the role in general feel free to post!

Thanks!

Ozone
Ozone06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:20   #2
Akhéron Sombre

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...daptation.html <- more procedures on this site.

You may find more info with this research on google : military radio procedures

Good reading

Last edited by Akhéron Sombre; June 15th, 2011 at 06:24..
Akhéron Sombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 14:00   #3
Gemme

Good stuff thank you
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 17:54   #4
tygr701
"Back to you, Bob!"

Send a message via MSN to tygr701
Look at the airsoft milsim training podcast on radio procedure its decent. While not a field manual it covers the basic foundation for proper radio procedure along with the military phonetic alphabet. I hope you had an easier time getting in communication with command than our squad did in Picton lol.

TEAM MSF CHANNELS:
YouTube - Facebook - ASC - Instagram

Si vis pacem, para bellum
tygr701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 18:18   #5
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr701 View Post
Look at the airsoft milsim training podcast on radio procedure its decent. While not a field manual it covers the basic foundation for proper radio procedure along with the military phonetic alphabet. I hope you had an easier time getting in communication with command than our squad did in Picton lol.
He was on our squad lol

Good stuff Ozone thnx
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 13:18   #6
Infidel
formerly Grimm Reaper

Send a message via MSN to Infidel
Well the 'Cert' one has some bad Radio Procedure in it, such as the 'Over and Out', which basicly means 'Ok I'm done my sentence now its your turn, wait End this conversation.' Over and out should never be said over the net as it is improper voice procedure.

Your second link is infact much more helpful. It is applying to a more Military style of voice procedure and gives you a number of Prowords and even explains why you should not say 'Repeat' on a radio net.

The third link supplied isn't bad either however it does contain alot of useless Reps and Rets (Reports and Returns).

Out of all the links supplied thus far the Second one (the BF2S one) is probably the better one for basic info and prowords however you mix it with Zedic's and you have a basic understanding of radio procedure, and I do mean Basic. It takes lots of practice to become comfortable in using a CNR (Combat Net Radio, even though the Puxing is not a CNR in reality, its an Airsoft CNR lol)

If you have any questions you can PM them to me, im a military Rad Op so I have some experiance, just some though... since its my job to talk on the radio...

~Infidel
Old June 20th, 2011, 15:53   #7
MrEvolution
MrChairsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
you should not say 'Repeat' on a radio net.
Hehehe.....hehehehhe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrail25 View Post
I'm no expert on the law, but the only victims of rape in this story are the 40 men.
MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:10   #8
oOMuDOo

Send a message via ICQ to oOMuDOo Send a message via AIM to oOMuDOo Send a message via MSN to oOMuDOo Send a message via Yahoo to oOMuDOo Send a message via Skype™ to oOMuDOo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvolution View Post
Hehehe.....hehehehhe....
Say last , or say again. Bad copy.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:28   #9
McKee
Merica'

Send a message via MSN to McKee
This section actually has a really good article stickied at the top by MadMorbius. It's worth a read for sure.

The big issue I have with radio communications in airsoft though is not everyone is going to understand what you're talking about if you use proper procedure. I have my comms course so i'll use the fancy radio procedure, but not everyone else is going to understand the etiquette or procedure and it becomes pretty useless and you might as well use plain talk to expedite things.

On top of that, military radio procedure is really designed for company+ sized nets with several callsigns including atts and subunits on it. The main problem though is a lack of leadership and organization. If someone comes on the radio with the callsign 1A in the military, you can assume they are the 1st section of the 1st platoon in a company sized net. You know there are 8+ guys attatched to that callsign, not just one dude on his own doing god knows what.

Radio nets exist to speed up the chain of command and the dissemination of orders from a commander. So really in order for comms to be used effectively, it is crucial your team is organized effectively. You need predetermined groups with predetermined callsigns. You need to come up with effective codewords and nicknames because rarely if ever are your comms not being listened to by the enemy. You also need a decent way of transmitting your location so everyone understands, such as a map of the field with a good grid layout. Rather than saying "uhh we're in a ditch with the enemy to our left" you can say "we're in a ditch at grid 1234 5678 50m southwest of enemy position, taking fire!".

What can you do about being a good radio man individually? Just remember to be speak clearly, be clear and concise about what you're saying as possible. Keep things short and brief, and always be listening to your radio. Make sure you send occasional position reports, that way if you get hit, your team has a general idea of where you went down so they can either help you, or reposition other people to expect enemy in a certain position.

Commanding in Airsoft
McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 18:44   #10
Righthook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Out of all the links supplied thus far the Second one (the BF2S one) is probably the better one for basic info and prowords however you mix it with Zedic's and you have a basic understanding of radio procedure, and I do mean Basic. It takes lots of practice to become comfortable in using a CNR (Combat Net Radio, even though the Puxing is not a CNR in reality, its an Airsoft CNR lol)
Sup Jimmy...

Last edited by Righthook; November 25th, 2011 at 18:48..
Righthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 17:53   #11
icdbko32

Nato Voice procedure is king in the Comm's world, anyone looking to be a radio operator should look into it and try and find guide on it if possible although im not to sure as it is a "protected" document in Canada
icdbko32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 18:24   #12
Akhéron Sombre

Basics : http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../14226_ch2.pdf

http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.u...Procedures.htm

Last edited by Akhéron Sombre; March 25th, 2012 at 18:27..
Akhéron Sombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 18:46   #13
Ozone06

Mom nom nom! Good stuff thanks!
Ozone06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 00:43   #14
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

This will come in handy no doubt.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 17:25   #15
-Skeletor-
Repeat really doesn't mean anything on a general radio net... only means something on a Artillery Net. People

Anyways, having an affinity to be the squad/front-line/platoon radioman? Wouldn't have that feeling after doing it for real... kinda sucks carrying all that extra weight... being a good target etc..

Also, the proper term would be Platoon Signaller or RTO(US)..

Not much to the job really.. be able to carry extra weight, know how to speak calmly on a radio, know what to say and how to say it.. maintain SA, know your kit, how to field expedient remedies/fixes, etc In airsoft, it's pretty easy.. and a role that really isn't needed as majority of players carry their own radio(FRS, etc).

Also, icdbko, there really isn't a NATO VP, every nation has its own way of talking on a radio and reports & returns. There are similarities and some reports are standardized for theatre (ie US 9 Liner Casualty Evac being the standard for ISAF forces in Afghanistan)

You can probably find some of the Canadian ones online, pretty sure you can find the majority of US ones online.

Last edited by -Skeletor-; March 27th, 2012 at 07:30..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures