Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Checking chamber with mag in

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old December 28th, 2010, 04:14   #1
wind953

Checking chamber with mag in

Is there a way to pull back the slide to check if there is a round in chamber when a loaded mag is in the gun, without the nozzle pushing another round into the already occupied chamber after you let go of the slide?
I heard somewhere that in real steel, if the hammer is cocked, you can pull back the slide and check the chamber, and it won't load the next round if the chamber is occupied. Either that or there are loaded chamber indicators on certain guns.
It just seems kinda silly to always have to release the mag first, after seeing there's already a round in the chamber.
wind953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:17   #2
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

You should be able to pull the slide back part way, enough to see the bb but not grab another.
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:13   #3
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
I've been able to pull the slide back a little bit, tilt it and see if there is a bit of white in the chamber then release the slide without chambering a round, but is so much easier to just release the mag, even just a little bit, and do your check that way. Is faster too. Real guns you can go 1/2" to 3/4" to check without worry about peeling a round off the mag, but because you are dealing with something that is 1/4" long, it's more difficult with airsoft.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:23   #4
Padkiller

Yeah, you'd better release the mag, as it will be less trouble, especially on the field
It's pretty hard to check the chamber with airsoft, the BBs being very small. ^__^
Old December 28th, 2010, 13:16   #5
Dimitri
Can't do math

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind953 View Post
I heard somewhere that in real steel, if the hammer is cocked, you can pull back the slide and check the chamber, and it won't load the next round if the chamber is occupied.
Not exactly, if you pull back the bolt in a rifle, to check the chamber status, you'd only pull it half way, otherwise the round will be ejected just as if it was fired. The magazine, similar to your AEG magazine is pushing the rounds up, and if the bolt goes behind the base of the bullets in the magazines, the round will attempt to load itself. Depending on the gun, especially on semi-automatics the bolt is designed to go beyond this point as its ejecting the shell and then it moves forward as it grabs the next round and loads it in the chamber.

So, pulling it back completely slowly (ie by hand) can lead to a jam due to the fact if you go beyond the base of the bullets in the magazine, the bolt going forward will try to grab that round and double feed.

Which is why on semi-automatics your supposed to let go of the bolt and let it "slam" home, instead of simply pushing it forward, for reliability of the loading process, and for the fact if it goes too slow you cannot be certain if bolt rotated completely and is properly clocked. Possibly causing a slam fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind953 View Post
Either that or there are loaded chamber indicators on certain guns.
Most firearms don't have loaded chamber indicators per-say, the only check if the hammer is cocked or not. Reason being, is that you want as smooth as possible chamber when the round gets fired.

Take the FN49, the precursor to the FAL has this indicator, which detects if the rifle is cocked.

By the way, notice the safety, not only does it stop the hammer from falling internally, but also blocks the trigger physically, and it also prevents most peoples hands from easy access to the trigger area. Also doubles as a never forget the safety, as you will feel it the moment you put your finger on the trigger and know the safety is on.

Generally speaking, if the gun is cocked, it means there is a round in the chamber, if the gun is not cocked and the bolt is closed, it means that there is no round in the chamber, at least not anymore.

Dimitri

Last edited by Dimitri; December 28th, 2010 at 13:20..
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 13:42   #6
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
I've been able to pull the slide back a little bit, tilt it and see if there is a bit of white in the chamber then release the slide without chambering a round, but is so much easier to just release the mag, even just a little bit, and do your check that way. Is faster too. Real guns you can go 1/2" to 3/4" to check without worry about peeling a round off the mag, but because you are dealing with something that is 1/4" long, it's more difficult with airsoft.
+1 to tilting if holding onto the ejected mag seems ridiculous. I don't have personal experience with RS, so I can't comment on that (I'm waaaaaaaay too lazy right now to edit that out of the quoted text).
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 16:07   #7
wind953

Ahh I see. Seems like releasing the mag is still the way to go. After doing it many times you don't notice that extra step anyway. But still it'd be nice to not have to do it.
wind953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 19:53   #8
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
At least with removing the mag to check, you can be sure the slide in is full battery as it should be when it comes to fire. If you are careful in pulling the slide back to peek inside the chamber, you'll likely slide the slide back forward then holster, and might find out that it's not in full battery when you go to use it (likely when you NEED to use it).

BTW, this is exactly what the Forward Bolt Assist is for on Armalites, to hit to make sure the bolt is full forward after a slow and quiet chamber check.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 13:25   #9
Boneyman

This is what I do with my TM P226.

1. Lock slide back
2. Check chamber
3. a. If round is chambered release mag, release slide, reinsert mag
b. If round is not chambered release slide
Old December 30th, 2010, 14:08   #10
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneyman View Post
This is what I do with my TM P226.

1. Lock slide back
2. Check chamber
3. a. If round is chambered release mag, release slide, reinsert mag
b. If round is not chambered release slide
simplicity, We have found it.
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:03   #11
Funker-Tactical

The term is called press check I haven't looked but there are probably videos on different techniques for different firearms on m4 etc real steal your basically just pulling the cocking handle back far enough to see the chamber releasing then hitting the forward assist
Funker-Tactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 23:41   #12
Point_Man

Send a message via MSN to Point_Man
If you have magazines that have an open front that allows you to visually check their position then make note of it before your load and make ready. Otherwise Boneyman's suggestion really is the best alternative and keeps it fairly similiar to a press check with a real pistol. Another thing you could do that's slightly more involved is get yourself a darker colour bb in the same weight. Place the dark bb last in the magazine (at the top), load-ready and eject the mag. If it's not at the top of the feed lips then it's likely chambered.
Point_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 14:44   #13
Ninja_En_Short

Send a message via MSN to Ninja_En_Short
For RS using staggered mags watch which sides feeds first, put it, rack charging handle, pull mag out : feeding side changed = weapon feeded.
Other way (the one I use) : put mag it, rack, pull 1/2 of the way, bullet caught by extractor = feeded then release charging handle.
On my G36 GBBR : mag in, rack, mag out, pull charging handle gun facing downward (BB fall if not).
No other way to do it because if the nozzle goes back you'll double feed.

Gun doc in Montreal on AEG, GBB, GBBR and Bolt rifle (gaz and spring)
Heavy custom builder (including painting)

Ninja_En_Short is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures