Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tokyo Marui MK23 Help

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old March 24th, 2016, 19:49   #1
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Tokyo Marui MK23 Help

I think this gun has been in Airsoft longer than I have, and that's saying something. I've finally decided to break down and build a custom one for playing in the forest out here. There's no better gun for silence versus compact versus engagement distance in my opinion.

I was hoping I could get some upgrade/mod advice, to make this thing as crack as possible. I don't want to beef up the FPS too far though, as I'd like to keep her indoor ready, so high flow lips and tapping for CO2 or HPA are out.

Also, I can't find any aftermarket slides or frames. I'd like to build her in tan, dark earth or coyote if I can, but without paint. Any TM pistol that's been around forever usually has a billion upgrades available. Does anyone have any leads on these pieces? I'd be happy with just one to two-tone my gun. May even consider a metal slide, so I can anodize it.

Thanks

Last edited by Ricochet; May 20th, 2016 at 00:03..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 20:26   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
What does "keeping it indoor ready" mean?

It doesn't have any slide or outer barrel upgrades available because why would it? They don't move.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 20:36   #3
Ricochet

"Indoor ready" = Well below 400 FPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
It doesn't have any slide or outer barrel upgrades available because why would it? They don't move.
I don't know, I'm not a doctor...

I see your point, but there's a ridiculous number of cosmetic upgrades out there for a lot of other things, due to its popularity, you'd think so for it as well.
Old March 24th, 2016, 21:16   #4
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

There's only two upgrades that you can do to this gun that are not a total waste of money. You can change the hop-up rubber for a better one, which will help range and accuracy some. You could also upgrade the aluminum barrel to a higher quality laylax/prometheus barrel, which will not help range and accuracy much, but you'll feel good about it.

That's pretty much it, everything else is just a giant waste of money.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 01:35   #5
naminator

I saw a guy take one and put it inside a vsr10 body. Made a banging semi auto scout rifle out of it.
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 02:03   #6
Amoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post
There's only two upgrades that you can do to this gun that are not a total waste of money. You can change the hop-up rubber for a better one, which will help range and accuracy some. You could also upgrade the aluminum barrel to a higher quality laylax/prometheus barrel, which will not help range and accuracy much, but you'll feel good about it.

That's pretty much it, everything else is just a giant waste of money.
Not quite IMO.

Upgrading the hop-up arm is a must, as the default TM MK23 hop-up arm bends far too easily and will not hop .25g BBs sufficiently. And this is with the default TM rubber (which is fairly soft) - most other VSR hop will cause more grief.

http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread....light=mk23+hop
Amoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:19   #7
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoki View Post
Not quite IMO.

Upgrading the hop-up arm is a must, as the default TM MK23 hop-up arm bends far too easily and will not hop .25g BBs sufficiently. And this is with the default TM rubber (which is fairly soft) - most other VSR hop will cause more grief.

http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread....light=mk23+hop
Absolutely not. My MK23 easily over-hopped 0.30g BBs with the stock arm and a firefly hard rubber. All you need is a good rubber.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:41   #8
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

I know you did not want to upgrade the fps too much. However if you use the silencer then you can run a longer inner, that will raise the fps and increase effective range by letting you use heavier rounds. Should be easy enough to swap barrels back n forth for indoor use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:39   #9
Ricochet

I looked into that. I may swap barrels, but I won't be able to travel around with the suppressor on or I'd bend it. I'll have to keep it in a taco or something. I'd like to have it available for use. My play style is just too rough to just keep it screwed on on my hip.

Is there a steel hop arm somewhere?

I'm going to grab a real steel Kydex holster as well. Any recommendations? I've used Blade-Tech and loved it, but I'm looking at a G-Code.

Anyone have issues running it on green gas other than the mags? Some people say to seal the mags and others say to just upgrade the o-ring. This thoughts?
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:12   #10
Bellerophon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I'm going to grab a real steel Kydex holster as well. Any recommendations? I've used Blade-Tech and loved it, but I'm looking at a G-Code.
Currently using a G-code for my KWA MK23, but tested it as well with another player's Marui and it works great in either case. Only problem I've had with mine is that the spring loaded back strap will occasionally get caught on the hammer while drawing, but ONLY if the hammer is up and you've made the mistake of yanking on the pistol before pressing the release button.
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:47   #11
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I have a BladeTech Mk23 holster. Fits great. However it was about $90, but worth it.

As for mags they will start leaking. Then you have to do the Mk23 propane seal mod. Or just do it to start with and don't worry about it again.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 20:39   #12
Visser

Send a message via MSN to Visser
I don't think the hop up arm upgrade is needed either. Just the barrel and hop up rubber. My favourite rubbers are firefly or nineball. Also I like the custom kydex holsters like this one (the current one I'm running) as you can holster with or without the silencer. I don't usually run w the silencer on it but I like the option to be able to for a quick reholster if needed.

Visser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 23:16   #13
JosiahJohn

I had some serious range issues with my mk23, I would get about 50 ft before .30s would hit the ground. I r hop'd the barrel and now I can take a .3 pass 100 ft with slight overhopping at the end of the flight path.
JosiahJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 23:28   #14
Amoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visser View Post
I don't think the hop up arm upgrade is needed either. Just the barrel and hop up rubber. My favourite rubbers are firefly or nineball. Also I like the custom kydex holsters like this one (the current one I'm running) as you can holster with or without the silencer. I don't usually run w the silencer on it but I like the option to be able to for a quick reholster if needed.

Where/how did you get the holster?
Amoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2016, 00:56   #15
Ricochet

G-Code makes them.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications