Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ver. 3 MOSFET

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old October 21st, 2012, 13:26   #1
TaroBear

Ver. 3 MOSFET

Hey guys. I noticed that there's a delay between the time you pull the trigger and the time the gun actually fires with AEG...I hear there's something called a MOSFET you can install into an AEG that lets you have faster response times.

I also heard that it's a tight fit even for Armalites. Can/has anyone ever put it into a Version 3 gun? I want to put one into my SIG 553.

If not a MOSFET, what else can I do to improve response time?

Edit: I'm an internals IDIOT, so I need even simple things explained. XD
Old October 21st, 2012, 13:52   #2
Off_kilter

the delay is caused by the time it takes the motor to spin the mechbox a full revolution.

several ways to fix this:

some of the easier ones

bigger/higher voltage battery

improve electrical effeciency you can do this with better wireing, adding a mosfet, haveing a better motor

high speed gears with high torque motor

put in a lighter spring
Old October 21st, 2012, 13:54   #3
THe_Silencer

A MOSFET will most certainly work on a V3 gun. How much space you have will depend on the size of the MOSFET and the space you have in the gun. Switching over to lipos (11.1v ideally) will offer you the most noticeable improved trigger response for the least amount of work. Next would be a high torque motor. These 2 upgrades alone will yield the biggest improvement in trigger response with minimal effort. Of course if you make the jump to 11.1v lipos and more powerful motors, it's HIGHLY recommended you overhaul the rest of your aeg as well since the internals will be under more stress. The aforementioned MOSFET is a MUST along with higher quality wiring and Deans/XT60 connectors since the stock Tamiya connectors will likely melt.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
-Founder of Steel City Hamilton Infantry and Tactics
-Certified level 43 Autosniper by Commander Amos
THe_Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 14:11   #4
JerryMcGoulBerry

Yeah it will most liekly fit. If you do use a fet, than start using some 11.1. Mosfets also protect yourtrigger comtacts so you will one less thing to worry about. I recomend getting a basic fet. It does everything a mosfet should. And its small. Those giant mosfets are programable, so they can give your gun a 3 round burst, but can also screw up semi auto if you don't use it right. Also, get a tech to do it. No use breaking your gun trying to do it.
JerryMcGoulBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 14:42   #5
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

reducing electrical resistance in the system will increase rof and trigger response ie: nicer wiring, remove fuse...

Snappier trigger response comes from lower electric system resistance or mechanical speed.

A higher torque motor and lower ratio gearset will give you faster trigger response time, but rof will increase as a result. A high torque neodynium magnet motor (JG blue or SHS or lonex) paired with 16:1 ratio gears will give you a really snappy trigger time, but with an 11.1v 20C lipo will give about 30rps. This is when shimming and AOE adjustment is super important... pistons will strip very easily at higher speeds. Factory gearsets are around 18:1 (turns of motor to 1 cycle of the piston)

You can have ridiculous trigger response but your gun will probably fire >20 rps... that's when you start adding in stuff like computerized mosfets to drop ROF but maintain trigger response.

A bigger battery provides more current and will achieve what you're looking for, but at the expense of burning/scoring your trigger contacts from increase current arcing.

It all depends on how you want to get to your goal.

My p90 does about 30rps when I let it loose and my g36 is doing about 32-35rps. I have triggermasters in both to give me 100% motor speed on the first cylce and it automatically drops the voltage on the motor to whatever I set it at... in my case 50% so I get 15~ rps rof without wasting ammo. 30 is a bit excessive, and my midcaps run dry in a 4-5 second burst at that speed. I could technically achieve 40rps on my g36 since it has an even faster gearset, but I have to do extensive modification to the piston assembly to make it lighter.

Last edited by lurkingknight; October 21st, 2012 at 14:46..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 14:48   #6
TaroBear

The thing about the gun is that it has a built in (and I mean it's actually built into the gun, not attached via a wire) large Tamiya plug. It also has no room for any larger batteries than an 8.4 Mini. I'm not a fan of Lipos, so that's out. That means I'm already running my battery through an adapter. I don't really mind a drop in FPS, since I rarely use the automatic mode on the gun.
Old October 21st, 2012, 16:04   #7
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

rof and trigger response all go back to electric efficiency. If you cant improve the system from that perspective, you're looking at putting in a more powerful motor. Factory motors are also fairly weak so you might have an issue putting in a lower ratio gearset without enough torque from the motor to pull it. Neo motors while super efficient are also a bit more power hungry. You might just have to buy a motor and try it. SHS are more power hungry than lonex from what I read... or if you feel up to it.. you can rip the armature out of an existing motor and put it into a motor like JG blue or SHS and create a frankentorque motor... supposedly stupid levels of efficiency and crazy torque if you pick the scavenged parts correctly.
Old October 21st, 2012, 17:23   #8
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
umm Sam, Mosfets have been around for a while now, but glad you caught up to the game LOL

Extreme Fire Mosfets work with V3 also you could try burst avocado and the one Stealth Sells on his website
Custom SAI BLU Glock Build (Timberwolf Base)
Custom Zev Noveske Shooting Team Glock 34
Project Guns
Custom Zev Dragonfly G17 (Project) (In progress)
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 20:25   #9
MaciekA

One of my more peppy guns in the trigger-response department runs a high torque neo motor (G&P M160), high speed gears (SHS 13:1), a MOSFET (AWS Raptor), has fat wiring, and is wired to XT60 to a battery that is 65C.

All these elements tend to run together. The voltage doesn't matter that much, it's all about the discharge rate of the battery, an extreme-enough ratio in your transmission, and the most torque you can produce at the motor's pinion gear... The final question is whether you can deliver that juice to your motor when it asks for it.

Or is it really the final question?..

Actually, the only substantive thing I have to add to this thread that the other fine folks haven't already said is that some MOSFETs have ways to get even faster trigger response, like the AWS Raptor. The Raptor has a pre-cocking mode that can keep your piston pulled almost all of the way back after every semi-auto shot, so the next shot is nearly instant because the piston only has to get wound up for a tiny distance before firing. The difference is astounding.

I played the above setup today at a game I attended after having run my usually-full-auto Diablo for a few months.. Reminded me that you can work your ass off to get "really awesome trigger response" in one gun, only to never hope to catch up to a computer-powered trick of offsetting a gearbox cycle.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 20:27   #10
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloudernow View Post
try burst avocado
The burst avocado is a complete waste of your time if you're looking to get trigger response, use LiPos, or do pretty much anything useful *except* program trigger modes. It's also more expensive than even a very high performance MOSFET like the Gate GDS-4005 (which Stealth sells). Go for a real MOSFET instead.

Now you know

Old October 21st, 2012, 23:09   #11
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the problem is that the AWS raptor has gone the way of the dodo. They went under and the guy who ran it is doing some other mosfet now, but it's in the prototype stage.
Old October 21st, 2012, 23:42   #12
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
the problem is that the AWS raptor has gone the way of the dodo. They went under and the guy who ran it is doing some other mosfet now, but it's in the prototype stage.
You mean the Black Talon Chimera mosfets? the finished the prototype stage already, my brother is already placed a group buy for a bunch of them

Also to the other guy, i suggested Burst Avacado since its in the classifications of mosfets, and yeah i was suggesting the Gate mosfet as well just didn't remember the name at the time. But as i said Stealth sells it on his website
Custom SAI BLU Glock Build (Timberwolf Base)
Custom Zev Noveske Shooting Team Glock 34
Project Guns
Custom Zev Dragonfly G17 (Project) (In progress)

Last edited by phloudernow; March 12th, 2013 at 10:04..
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:05   #13
THe_Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaroBear View Post
It also has no room for any larger batteries than an 8.4 Mini. I'm not a fan of Lipos, so that's out.
Then your options for quick trigger response have become extremely limited. There's no real reason for anyone to avoid lipos (unless they're retardedly incompetent). Don't believe all those old wives tales about lipo spontaneously combusting at the slightest breeze. Just take proper care of them like you would a normal battery. A good small 7.4v lipo will VASTLY outperform any 8.4v mini NiMH/NiCAD. In fact, you could have the most awesome setup ever with computerized MOSFETs, 13:1 gears, mega ultra torque motor, top secret military grade wires, etc. and you will NOT be able to benefit from any of it if you run an 8.4v mini battery. Unless you're looking into running a large 9.6/10.8v battery in an external bag, though this will cost several times more than a decent lipo setup and will look like shit to boot.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
-Founder of Steel City Hamilton Infantry and Tactics
-Certified level 43 Autosniper by Commander Amos
THe_Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:51   #14
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

If you're worried about the dangers of LiPo's, don't be. They've proven VERY difficult to damage, and give you several hours worth of warning before actually doing any damage.

a 7.4v LiPo with high speed gears, high torque motor, and a mosfet would greatly increase your response time.
The key factor for choosing LiPo over NiMH is amperage. LiPo's provide significantly more amperage, and therefore, more torque for your motor. And it's that torque that you need to get up to speed quickly.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 22:49   #15
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloudernow View Post
Also to the other guy, i suggested Burst Avacado since its in the classifications of mosfets
Your classification is meaningless and you are in the wrong for pushing this unit because it will not increase trigger response which is the whole point of this thread.

The Burst Avocado cannot decrease resistance between the motor and the battery, because all of the current still travels through your contacts.

Seriously, if you lack understanding in this area, I strongly suggest you stop recommending products you don't understand. Regardless of whether there is a MOSFET on this unit or not, it does not serve the same function as do actual MOSFET setups with separate trigger wiring.

There's no free lunch here. Avoid this product, which only serves as a programmable trigger computer.

Now you know

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications