Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Retailer caution: Strider Knives

:

General

Old September 11th, 2009, 14:42   #1
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Retailer caution: Strider Knives

(originally posted on a regional board, but copied here on the advice of fellow players)

Just a warning to anyone here who is thinking about buying someone a Strider Knife for Christmas etc.

I purchased a set of gunner grips through them for a project I am working on. The catch is that their webstore has been "coming soon" for a number of months and can't complete orders. I sent them my CC info in two separate emails. Yes, it was stupid, but I really really wanted those grips.

Surprise surprise, after doing that I had a shitload of performance parts for a Dodge charged to my card; as well as a number of adult website subscriptions.

I've let Strider know about this, but until they get a proper web store running I would advise against ordering from them, as they likely have someone on staff who is less than reputable.

*Update: Strider wouldn't return my calls or emails regarding this issue... Weak; I expected more from them when their reps use "Former USMC blah blah blah" in their email signatures.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 15:08   #2
Lakonian
kos

Sucks to hear man. I usually get my blades from stores in country. Too worried about shit like this happening.

If warriors and wonders, or Knifezone can't get it for me...it's probably not THAT great.

....Unless it's a Busse....
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 15:17   #3
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

I wouldn't particularly blame Strider for that mistake... E-mail is a highly unsecure form of electronic submission. Your credit card data could have been intercepted at many points along the path of transmission.

I use to deal in the financial industry, and besides proprietary software that allowed encrypted transmission or secure web sites, we were never allowed to transmit or receive personal financial information electronically, as there is no other real way to transmit data securely.

If you must absolutely send credit card info and a secure web page is not available, just call the company. The $2 in long distance charges is worth the security, and it's not that expensive.

With that said, I've ordered from Strider Knives before as well and submitted my order via email, took care of all of the details and found a direct contact person and arranged a time that I could call them (I actually had them call me, which saved me long distance charges), where I then gave my credit card info over the phone.

Got my Gunner grips with no problem and no weird charges from a Wal-Mart in New Mexico. LOL.

This is just a general practice in online security that EVERYBODY should adopt.

Even sending credit card info across MSN, Yahoo Messenger, GoogleTalk, etc is STUPID.

It can be intercepted!

Last edited by ILLusion; September 11th, 2009 at 15:19..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 15:34   #4
L473ncy

Every form of transmission can be intercepted. It's just how hard it is to intercept.

Over the internet on unsecured connections? Easy as pie.
Unsecure computer terminals (this includes internet cafes, even in suburban/westside areas)? All it takes is a key logger.
Face to face? Well either theres a fly on the wall, or someone is eavesdropping, or the place is bugged.
Telephone? Line tapping etc.
Email? Someone with access (heck even employees with bad intentions can copy and paste the info in that email).

However I'm sorry to hear about bad experiences. At least theres a warning out to watch out for those guys.
Old September 11th, 2009, 21:34   #5
Chingyul

I've heard very good things about strider....kinda sucks to heard they dropped the ball on the customer service though.
Are you a member at Usual Suspect? They have sub forum there, and I think are pretty active.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General