Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

How important is eye protection to you?

:

Gear Discussion

View Poll Results: What eye pro are YOU wearing??
$3 and I can't prove from factory they're actually Z87.1+ 12 2.94%
Z87.1+ shop glasses, uvex, pyrex, whatever, they're a brand and have test documents available 104 25.49%
MIL-SPEC. My eye pro eats SHRAPNEL for BREAKFAST 264 64.71%
I wear mesh, it's BB proof but not shrapnel proof...as often as that ever happens... 15 3.68%
I'm gonna go upgrade my eye protection now... 13 3.19%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 30th, 2016, 18:29   #91
BenG

Personally Id replace a ANSI87.1+ lens after 1 strike, or after 2 years. And ill be replacing my oakley/smith optics lens every 2 years as well or if I notice any damage to them or if they take multiple strikes. in 7 years of playing I can think of only half a dozen times when my eyepro has been struck by a bb, typically its in the helmet, or finger.

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I think that's the direction I should have gone with this one though.
gen1 - I can't see shit
gen2 - I see LOTS of green, but not many people
gen3 - Nobody wants to play with me because I'm an elitist asshole now
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 19:26   #92
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

87.1 are nothing but dust/debris shields, most reputable manufacturers will tell you to replace them after a significant impact of anything greater than dust or debris.

Remember that the ratings don't just cover the lens shield, the ratings (and particularly milspec requirements) include the frame as part of the rating. The frame must help distribute the impact forces, much like the windshield of your car requires the frame around it to be strong, and the frame becomes stronger because the windshield is in place.

I've seen people with their 5 year old goggles have the frames break on them because they were either knockoffs or just old enough that the sweat and heat cycling from usage outdoors plus uv rays weakened the material. His lens was in ok shape but the frame was unable to hold the lens properly.

Pyramex stuff is generally under 30 bucks and they make milspec rated stuff in that price bracket, there really is no excuse not to be vigilant and overly cautious about protecting your eyes.
Old November 30th, 2016, 21:02   #93
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I've actually seen guys play with regular Z87.1 faceshields before. Back before we really knew anything about ratings. Of course now we know that's extremely dangerous lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 07:04   #94
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Many of us spent years wearing whatever safety glasses we had and many ended up really old and scratched to shit, but we never thought about it. I've been struck in the eyewear hundreds of times, but luckily most safety equipment is much stronger and more durable than its rating. I remember a game we hosted and Kimbo from JOC was wearing his ESS ballistic glasses (I think they were ESS), but they were quite old. I shot them right off his face, a BB literally broke right through the frame or arm of the glasses because it had been so weakened from years of abuse. For years I also used to have a pair of ESS ballistic goggles, but they never saw much use at all. One day I took them out of my gear bag and was inspecting them and the frame literally disintegrated in my hands like it was wet paper.
Old December 1st, 2016, 11:11   #95
ThunderCactus

I had an old thread on here where i had a bunch of pictures of a 3yr old pair of ess ice glasses that i blew apart.
Actually i think i broke 2 lenses shooting at them in my basement, but i was demonstrating how dangerous the ess ice glasses ended up being due to their mounting system causing stress fractures in the lens. Dont have the pictures anymore though.
Old December 1st, 2016, 11:27   #96
docholiday
docholidayy

I use the Oakley M-Frames sometimes with sometimes without halo kit for the outdoor stuff and for indoor arenas I use the Oakley Revision once.

Personal policy and i think what most people on the team do is switch the lenses on them once per year.
docholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 11:49   #97
chaz

replacement lenses are cheap!
Buy a good set of whatevers, Smith Optics, Oakley, Revision, etc and just replace your lenses often enough to ensure you don't get fucked.
I mean, shit, most lenses are what $20-25 for those systems?
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 12:23   #98
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

M-Frame lenses are $60US plus shipping, that's right from Oakley. Still, I could easily spend that once a year to save my eyes. Mind you, if you are running proper ballistic eyewear, that have not taken a shit-kicking, then you could probably replace them every two years if you properly inspect and store them.

Last edited by Ricochet; December 1st, 2016 at 12:28..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 13:01   #99
docholiday
docholidayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
M-Frame lenses are $60US plus shipping, that's right from Oakley. Still, I could easily spend that once a year to save my eyes. Mind you, if you are running proper ballistic eyewear, that have not taken a shit-kicking, then you could probably replace them every two years if you properly inspect and store them.
CAD50 from 911.
docholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 13:40   #100
ThunderCactus

$50 plus shipping to vancouver
Old February 11th, 2017, 03:09   #101
Feels

Just got a pair of Revision Desert Locust today. Ordered from amazon for about $40. They were 55% off for some reason, 2 left in stock, hell yea I took em. Made sure they were from Revision themselves too. Might not have a gun yet but I sure have these dank goggles that just wont fog no matter how hard I try.
Feels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 15:37   #102
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

amazon does that from time to time, I have a feeling it's because they order a set number of items when they restock on something and then with the low stock they liquidate it. Just make sure they're legit ones.. fake ones are not safe.
Old February 11th, 2017, 19:29   #103
Feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
amazon does that from time to time, I have a feeling it's because they order a set number of items when they restock on something and then with the low stock they liquidate it. Just make sure they're legit ones.. fake ones are not safe.
I mean the seller really was Revision.
Feels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 20:07   #104
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I have had fake shit sold to me off amazon before that said it was from the manufacturer. If it's sold and shipped by amazon, it's likely legit. If it's sold by X company and shipped/fulfilled by amazon it could be fake. if it's a marketplace vendor coming from china, it's fake.
Old September 20th, 2018, 03:57   #105
ValaskaAirsoft

Fairly important for me, if it has ANSI and the lenses are affixed solidly enough (either full frame replaceable or affixed permanent) then its good enough to be honest. Some of these extremely expensive brands people wear honestly aren't that great!
ValaskaAirsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion