Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Soldering to Deans connectors

:

Newbie Tank

Old January 8th, 2010, 16:14   #1
Eien

Soldering to Deans connectors

im switching my mini to deans connector. so far im done with the charging adapter. Is there anything i have to do before cutting the large connector off the battery and soldering it to the deans connector?

black is negative and red is postive correct?
Eien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 16:19   #2
flack

Cut and solder one wire and then the other (to avoid shorts)
black is negative, red positive

Do not heat the dean too long it might melt the plastic and the connectors will not be aligned anymore (happened to me)
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 16:26   #3
venture

On the package it says to tin the connectors before you solder the wire to it. I did this and the results seem solid.

As with most topics it has already been covered here at ASC. I printed this off just yesterday, the printable version is 12 pages. It is a good read.
Here is the link: http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=26918

Visit us at :www.ventureairsoft.ca
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 16:29   #4
Tuthmose

As obvious as this may seem, I'll throw it out there anyway in the spirit of "better safe that sorry":

When changing over the battery's connector, be sure to do one wire at a time, completing it before doing the other. Cut one, strip it, pre-tin it, solder, and heatshrink, all while leaving the other wire still in it's original connector. This way, the two never have a chance to inadvertently touch and fry your battery. Which will happen, if you cut them both at the same time, due to Murphy's unshakable law. A pair of bare battery wires seem almost magnetically attracted to each other ;-)

-Tuthmose

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Attack Everything" - Lanoe Hawker, WWI Ace
Tuthmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 17:42   #5
Eien

ok i just solder the female connector to my battery... i'm not sure i might be seeing things but i saw a spark when i cutted the black wire...

now when i connect it to the charger (Universal NPT Smart Charger from airsoftparts.ca) it doesnt light up or anything.. though when did a voltage test (i got a voltage detector) it seems to be fine (the eletricity running through the wires and battery is fine)
Old January 8th, 2010, 18:03   #6
Tuthmose

Hmm. Ok, questions:

Frankly, if your battery tests ok, I wouldn't worry to much about the possible spark you saw. Not much you can do about it now anyway.

You say your battery tests fine. Did you test the output of your charger? It's possible therein lies your problem. . .

Good luck,
-Tuthmose

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Attack Everything" - Lanoe Hawker, WWI Ace
Tuthmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 18:50   #7
lemegacool

the only reason there could have a spark is that you contacted the positive wire with the cutters... should not affect the battery that much...

re-check polarity... and when you stuck the voltmeter in the plug does it reads voltage?

member of fire team NOM. my other regular forum: www.toyotanation.com / gen3,gen4 camry
lemegacool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 18:56   #8
Eien

yeah it reads voltage, the charger is brand new it shouldnt have problems. maybe i should change back to a large connector.... :S or ask someone to do these kinds of things...
Old January 8th, 2010, 19:17   #9
coach
aka coachster

check that your adapter contacts are oriented in the right way. sounds like you got them reversed if the charger won't start up!
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 19:22   #10
lemegacool

thats why i told him to check polarity...you can use the multimeter to check that... at least mine indicates polarity...

member of fire team NOM. my other regular forum: www.toyotanation.com / gen3,gen4 camry
lemegacool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 20:03   #11
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemegacool View Post
thats why i told him to check polarity...you can use the multimeter to check that... at least mine indicates polarity...
I just specified the adapter as I'm assuming he only checked the battery.

with the NPT, he still needs a mini on the charger end of the adapter which could make it confusing to someone who isn't electronically inclined.

I'm willing to bet the deans connector on the adapter is attached backwards! no need for a multimeter just follow the coloured wires back to the picture on the charger which shows polarity.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:51   #12
Eien

I checked the polarity and im sure enough that i didnt got it backwards unless i solder the wrong wire from the deans connector to tamiya connector.

i bought modify ultra dean connectors.. it came with instructions on how so i follow that.

battery to female deans - black to bottom pin (left side), red to top pin (ontop)
tamiya large to male deans - black to bottom pin (right side), red to top pin (bottom)
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank