Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Raven M249 trigger / firing problem

:

Doctor's Corner

Old November 14th, 2021, 12:55   #1
Omnivorous

Raven M249 trigger / firing problem

Here's a video of the problem - https://youtu.be/NjvaFY51hOw
In words, the gun only fires sometimes when the trigger is pulled. When it does fire, it randomly stops firing even though the trigger is still pulled. Sometimes when the trigger is pulled, the gun makes the sound like it's trying to fire, but can't complete the cycle.

I left a lipo plugged into by accident and the lipo was nearly drained when I caught my mistake a few days later. Just wondering if anyone has any idea before I take the gun apart. It's annoying because there aren't any videos on it and Raven doesn't have any manuals or info. I can do it, but I just prefer having a guide for point of reference.

Thank you
Omnivorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2021, 16:51   #2
RainyEyes

You've got a couple of problems there that can vary from a dead battery to dirty contacts on the trigger or that your safety is protruding too much and preventing the trigger from being fired even when the safety is disengaged.

Definitely make sure your battery is charged and then play around with the safety.

When you're pulling the trigger with your index finger (dominant finger) it seems to be firing, but once you start feathering it with your other finger it seems to have this problem so i'm leaning towards the safety/contacts issue.

Its disassembly should be the same as an A&K m249 and it's clones.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2021, 17:02   #3
Ratters

Firing issue

While you're at it also check your motor brushes and motor contacts . Since it's a rock n roll support gun it could be wearing them down and the contact becomes sluggish, random and then not at all.

You could lightly sauder the motor connectors to the posts

11.1 lipos love eating motor brushes and charbroiling trigger contacts on standard aegs that aren't mosfetted
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2021, 17:33   #4
Omnivorous

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention I tried it with 3 different 11.1 lipos that I know work (tested them on other guns), so I know it's not a battery problem. The gun also only has a few thousand rounds through it. However, the "charbroiling trigger contacts" aligns with what I'm thinking, because the gun always worked perfectly until I left a fully charged lipo plugged in for 3 days and it drained it.

Thank you again!
Old November 15th, 2021, 12:01   #5
Ratters

Ok, make sure to check all electrical contacts from point A to B
Do this because you're running the 11.1 batteries

The increased torque, speed of rotation, current and heat produced will cause significant wear on the brushes and the trigger contacts. This will also, over time, make the contacts brittle

If I can offer some advice you could try going with a brick RC LiPo that isn't 11.1 it might slow your rate of fire a bit but your not trying to force a tidal wave of electricity through a soda straw (a bit of an exaggeration but not far off depending on the quality of wiring and components)

I'd also try and track down spare motor brushes and also check you've got solid connectors

Most if not all aeg's come with either Tamiya type mini or large connectors, these are notoriously bad as the female ends flare as they heat and contact issues arise

Most switch to Deans or the like for a more positive connection between battery and AEG

Also, if you do look at the brushes, check the commutator for black spots or Hot spots , you can gently place the file on it and turn the top gear and then some very fine sand or Emery paper, blow it off well, spray again with contact cleaner and reassemble with brushes

If your really ocd you can put a light coat of dielectric grease on the trigger contacts and motor pins or just sauder the pins to the motor with a small dab of Sauder, easy to service when needed

If you can do this and the gearbox is already built well, shimmed correctly, angle of engagement and ball bearing spring guide, piston head and quality bearings it should run reliably for a very long time
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2021, 16:09   #6
Omnivorous

I took it apart and got it working again. I believe the problem was one of 2 things. The female side of trigger contact needed prying apart so that both side could make full contact, and the negative lead on the motor seemed very loose. Works like a charm currently. I'll see if I run into the problem again.

I'm looking into the other stuff you said. It's going to take a bit. I had to look up what a bushing is, ha.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner