Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

need help buying backpack

:

Gear Discussion

Old May 26th, 2012, 09:35   #1
mas_oyama

need help buying backpack

I want to buy a new backpack, my old one is finished...

I was looking at this one:
http://ascmart.ca/product_info.php?c...products_id=45

Is it any good? The "army look" is not an actual criteria for me, I just figured that army stuff should be sturdy XD

My criterias:

-Solid. I abuse my bags a little bit, I need them to be strong and sturdy, the zippers have to be of good quality and not break on me.

-Motorcycle kida friendly. I am not looking for a motorcycle backpack per se, but well... I need to be able to wear it on my bike!

-good capacity. I don't use backpacks all that often, but when I do, I overload them. So not only it needs to be solid, it also need to be able to carry lots of stuff. This is why I don't go with a motorcycle backpack, I fear they would be too small for me.

So, is the 3 days molle bag by pantac any good? if not, what would you recommend?

Perks:
Dedicated, Steady aim, Quartermaster , Infiltrator, Spider sense, Treasure hunter,
Dance, F**ker Dance!, Death or Glory, I Mean Business, Drama Queen,
Quadruple Bypass, Hypocritical Oath, Fortunate Son, Acrobatic, Gun Slinger, APC
mas_oyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:59   #2
Aper
E-30

What is good capacity for your need ? 27L ? 30L ? 50L ?

If the military look isn't a criteria, I would suggest either Osprey, Arcterix or Mountain Hardware.

I have a 25L Marmot backpack and it's perfect for those little 1-day journey. It has an exo-skeleton with some Easton aluminium rods and ventilated back-rest.

I also own a 75L Osprey back-pack, but I only use this one for hardcore camping / hiking for a couple of days.

If you want a back-pack for your need, I would strongly suggest looking for a 30L or 35L pack, with waterproof zippers and getting yourself a waterproof cover for your backback for those rainy days.

West Coast EOD Supporter. // Bang One, Bang Em All ! // In war, it's not who's right, but who's left.
Aper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:01   #3
L473ncy

IMO Pantac and Flyye stuff is pretty solid but nowhere near the quality as say Eagle or Paraclete. That said it's sturdy enough for every day use IMO and it's not like you're in some super harsh environment.

Also look into some of the condor bags.

This one may be a bit small for you (if you overload your bags and need the capacity) but it's a great moto pack and you can tie it down with the vertical straps on the back to make it more aerodynamic so it's not flopping around everywhere when you're riding.

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/126medi...ssultpack.aspx
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:04   #4
Deadpool

I bought the LAPG operator backpack

Sturdy, comfortable and affordable. Lots of room and pouches for stuff and a even a space for your hydration pouch if you need it.

There even a review on youtube LA Police Gear Operator Backpack - YouTube (though the guy must be a sissy, he keep saying it's heavy)

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:05   #5
Ozone06

I didn't see a price requirement sooo...
http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Equ.../FAST-Pack-EDC

I've lusted after that bag since I took a look at C3sk's at Zeons game.

Depending on your body size the Condor 3 Day pack.
http://www.warfightertacticalstore.c...ault-pack.html

I was looking as USCAV, at the 5.11, Tru-spec or S.O.C and decided on the condor because of the great reviews about it. I Had room to spare on a 24-hr game earlier this year and it was comfortable with any load I put in it.

Keep in mind its big. It quite adjustable, my wife was able to wear it securely, and she's 1/4 my size... no really. you can cinch everything down and the straps have velcro on the ends that allow you to police any excess straps so they're not flapping in the breeze.
Ozone06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:07   #6
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

I have the CONDOR Urban Go Pack in multicam;

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/147_urb..._Multicam.aspx

It's awesome - I use it for work and travel, I'm serving in an Army field Unit, and it's great for day to day and for field exercises as well. I also drag it out to airsoft events, so it's a great all around bag.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:34   #7
The Chad
formerly LoveMyStubby

Check out oneshottactical. They have maxpedition at a good price. I would suggest http://www.oneshottactical.com/Merch...tegory_Code=PA there is a good color selection.
It's also a perfect day pack or man purse if you will.
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:31   #8
thpethalK
ksuechuc

5.11 RUSH Series. They have all flavors of color and come in 12, 24 and 72 hour capacities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyissue View Post
Saying that you are trying to prevent bad Airsoft publicity while generating negitave Airsoft publicity on a nationally monitored Firearm web site is like fucking for Virginity.
thpethalK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:11   #9
mas_oyama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aper View Post
What is good capacity for your need ? 27L ? 30L ? 50L ?

If the military look isn't a criteria, I would suggest either Osprey, Arcterix or Mountain Hardware.

I have a 25L Marmot backpack and it's perfect for those little 1-day journey. It has an exo-skeleton with some Easton aluminium rods and ventilated back-rest.

I also own a 75L Osprey back-pack, but I only use this one for hardcore camping / hiking for a couple of days.

If you want a back-pack for your need, I would strongly suggest looking for a 30L or 35L pack, with waterproof zippers and getting yourself a waterproof cover for your backback for those rainy days.

cool thanks. I am now hesitating between the Arc'teryx Axios 25 or the Mountain hardware Enterprise 30.

What would you suggest? I find the MH a little bit better looking, and its 30L instead of 25, but with all those straps and stuff the Arc'teryx looks a bit tougher and kinda more... better. lol.

They are both the same price at a local store here (La Cordée).

MH: http://www.lacordee.com/fre/product/...rise-30/61344#
Arc: http://www.lacordee.com/fre/product/...xios-25/50108#

kokanee, the condor looks pretty cool, but I fear the worse with their zippers. My tactical vest for airsoft is also a condor, and while the vest itself is pretty nice, the zippers are complete garbage and that backpack loos like it has the same zippers.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for a military type bag. The one on the ASC mart just caught my eye, but I think I'll go with either the Arc'teryx or the Mountain Harware. I'm a rock climber myself, and I know Arc'teryx products and trust them, I don't even know why I didn't think about checking out La Cordée...

Perks:
Dedicated, Steady aim, Quartermaster , Infiltrator, Spider sense, Treasure hunter,

Last edited by mas_oyama; May 26th, 2012 at 12:16..
Old May 26th, 2012, 13:04   #10
Aper
E-30

I would personnaly recommend going in person to either La Cordée or Atmosphere to try a couple of models. It's hard to tell via Internet if a backpack is better than another and there's so much model these days that it's a must going out and actually try them out.

That's what I always did, especially for 45L + backpacks where you need a custom fit for some packs if you don't want to break your back off after 4 hours of hiking lol.

West Coast EOD Supporter. // Bang One, Bang Em All ! // In war, it's not who's right, but who's left.
Aper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 13:42   #11
MASAKO

I have been using a couple of backpack, each of them has their main purpose. Normally I always like and prefer CamelbaK but at on I got a good deal on something so I jump on.

-Camelbak Thermobak hydration pack use mainly For carry water and a few small stuff, as for airsoft I used it for CQB when you limit go back to respawn. More or less in other activity where water is mainly need I grab that one.

-Camelbak Ambush hydraTion pack, that use when mainly extra stuff need to carry around, I used it for backyard camping with kids, short outdoor activity also I add extra pouch on the Molle, that give me more space to drag around a few goodie. As for airsoft, I used it it for outdoor game which require you to stay on the field most of the time, it keep you hydrate, carry extra bag of BBs, tool box, speed loader, battery and small first sit kit plus it doesn't look bulky.

-ATS RAID Pack, this is the first generation. It comes to a point where extra items mandatory need to carry around, I did use it for a motorcycle trip in Cambodia for one week. It did the job quite well but I wish I could have bring a bigger pack but too big will slow me down and hard to carry on my backpack.

Good thing with those bags, they are life time warranty.
MASAKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:46   #12
Krookedatmosphere

Send a message via MSN to Krookedatmosphere
I been using this and it holds a shit load
cbqr m4 ptw when broken down and light fighter rig and duty belt plus pistol and mags and ammo and also water great bag and very solid

http://www.camelbak.com/Military-Tac.../2011-BFM.aspx
Krookedatmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 11:19   #13
mas_oyama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookedatmosphere View Post
I been using this and it holds a shit load
cbqr m4 ptw when broken down and light fighter rig and duty belt plus pistol and mags and ammo and also water great bag and very solid

http://www.camelbak.com/Military-Tac.../2011-BFM.aspx
wtf? Okay, people need to freaking read my first post. to quote myself:

"The "army look" is not an actual criteria for me, I just figured that army stuff should be sturdy XD"

Stop talking about an M4 and a ****ing duty belt. I AM LOOKING FOR A BACKPACK. not for airsoft stuff. Just a freaking backpack for everyday use.

As of now, the only guy that seemed to have read it is Aper.

Perks:
Old May 27th, 2012, 11:33   #14
Endymion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas_oyama View Post
My criterias:

-good capacity. I don't use backpacks all that often, but when I do, I overload them. So not only it needs to be solid, it also need to be able to carry lots of stuff. This is why I don't go with a motorcycle backpack, I fear they would be too small for me.
People are relating their experiences with pieces of gear by comparing items/weights that others reading this thread would likely be familiar with. There's no need to jump down their throats for trying to offer advice using criteria you've listed.

Regarding the specific pack you first mentioned, I've been using it for years in various roles including daily work (laptop, hard drives, etc.), airsoft games (as much kit as will fit), and travelling (clothing, laptop, everything). I've beat the crap out of it and haven't taken much care with it and so far it has held up well - no visible signs of damage along seams or straps. I can't speak from experience how well it would hold up to use on a motorcycle.
Endymion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 13:28   #15
mas_oyama

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Skeletor- View Post
Actually you got a lot of good recomendations for packs, not just from Aper.

As well I would assume Krookedatmosphere only mentioned the AEG, and other gear just as an example showing that the bag can be filled with a lot of stuff which was a criteria for you.

You didn't rule out "Military'ish" packs so there were included in recomendations, as well most of those packs can be bought in black so they won't stand out as being a tactical/military pack.
true. My point is just that EVERYBODY except Aper actually mentioned stuff other than military style packs. Actually, I prefer non-military. I was just sick of all the post about military packs... So please, from now on, no more posts about military packs. I am now ruling it out. I am not buying a military pack. apparently this is the only way of getting feedback from "normal" backpacks...

Perks:
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion