Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

"G36V" DMR Project

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old August 21st, 2014, 16:21   #16
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

wide or tight isnt as important as consistant smooth bore. Alot of folks are leaning towards the wide bore setup, tho i think it is more geared towards a build with alot of extra air volume to spare as itll allow more air to escape around and act as a cushion around the bb in the barrel (i could be wrong tho) a good quality tbb like a 6.02-6.04mm has been tried and true for years so id stick with that personally unless someone can chime in a shed a lil more light on the subject. I like the madbull tight bores if yer on a budget, or a prometheus if money isnt an object. Keep in mind that it i possible that tue kadbulls may not last as long because it is coated, tho i dont think our bb's are hard enough to damage the coating and im not sure that anyone has tested them. Ive been using one for two seasons without issue in both my aeg and my bolt action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 19:08   #17
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
that's what I'm saying. If you are expecting gears to be cut from a single piece of high quality billet, then the only true 'cnc' gears are riots.
For the sake of being specific; if you want to describe something as being made from a solid piece of material, the proper term is "from billet".
"CNC" is an extremely broad marketing term that applies to anything that's ever been processed by a CNC machine of any kind.
"from billet" means something was manufactured from a solid piece of (NOT CAST) material.
Things like FTW receivers are machined from cast

And on the TBB vs WBB
You don't physically have enough volume in an AEG to even properly use a 6.08 at 550mm. You don't have a choice, it has to be a 6.03-6.05. And being tighter, also raises the chances of accuracy loss due to fouling; both because the barrel is tight, and unnecessarily long.

wide bores beyond 16" or so are specifically for gas and P* guns that have the air volume to constantly put pressure behind a BB for that length.

If the muzzle energy is the same on a short and long barrel, then there's less pressure applied over a longer distance in the long barrel. There's a point at which the constant pressure is so low to achieve that muzzle energy, that the BB simply can't stabilize itself and you lose a ton of accuracy.
Basically, if you run a 550x6.23 wide bore, even with a bore up kit, the BB is only going to be actively stabilized for the first 300mm or so, then it's just coasting through the barrel as there's no more pressure pushing it forward.

I also will never recommend another madbull barrel ever again. Every madbull barrel in a gun I've ever worked on has had scratches in it. Aluminum is not a good material for a precision bore

Last edited by ThunderCactus; August 21st, 2014 at 19:10..
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 19:24   #18
DustMagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I also will never recommend another madbull barrel ever again. Every madbull barrel in a gun I've ever worked on has had scratches in it. Aluminum is not a good material for a precision bore
What about the steel Madbull inner barrels?
DustMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 19:55   #19
ThunderCactus

Haven't seen one yet. Can't recommend it if I haven't heard anything good or bad about it lol
Old August 21st, 2014, 20:44   #20
bryanman
Banned

@Hectic
you are right about the air volume thing, WBB are for high volume cylinders or P*, etc. something consistent. As thundercactus explains!:lol:

@ThunderCactus
Thanks for clearing up the CNC gears matter... it didn't matter to me too much, good to know though :tup:

Also, I was never planning on going with a WBB, it's just that someone on ASC said a WBB is better for a DMR, but from what I've heard, for a lightly modified AEG, with no compression mods/adjustments, a TBB is proven to be the best choice. :-|

Secondly, are you saying that theoretically if I had a barrel only 300mm long or so, then I would have full stabilization until exiting? So basically I don't need a 550 barrel at all because I don't have enough volume to make use of it?
bryanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 21:08   #21
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I've turned 247mm barrels to shoot as well as 450mm barrels. There's some stabilization to be had with longer barrels to a point but unless you want that long of a gun, there's greater benefit in maneuverability in shorter barrels. If you go long, 450 is usually where benefits start tapering off.

My p90 with a 247 is probably overvolumed and has a lot of extra volume in the cylinder vs the barrel and it shoots as well as my g36 with a 407.

WBBs aren't for anything, they're the flavor of the month at the moment. Some barrel and bb combinations work better than others, possibly due to the size of the BB vs the bore.

As it was mentioned before, it's the quality and consistency of your barrel bore that matters more than the bore diameter.
Old August 21st, 2014, 21:16   #22
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

as for the madbull barrels, im talkin bout the "python" ones, they are black 6.03 and silver/grey 6.01, they are coated with a powdercoat or ceramic or some sort of something. I so far have liked em. And agreed, not a fan of aluminium or even many brass barrels (not for aegs at least) and thanks for the clarification on the WBB i was prety sure the air volume thing was the right track just have no experience with em. May try one in my gbbr if i can fing one for we rifles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 22:28   #23
ThunderCactus

I'm anal when it comes to proper nomenclature and terminology lol

PTW's are well known as being "the best an AEG can be". Yet you look in the ptw thread and it's all 9-14.5" barreled guns. It's quite rare to come across a full 20" M16 ptw these days.
Yet, these guys (and myself) have spent $2200-$6000 on the gun alone. You'd think anyone spending that much money on a gun would spare no expense to make it PERFORM better than any other gun out there. Otherwise it's just a $6000 ornament.
Well it's because the 9-12" barrels shoot just as good (and sometimes better) than the 16-20" barrels.
PTW's use the same mechanical operation as common AEG's (piston reciprocates in a cylinder to compress air to propel a BB). Therefore, whatever is possible on a PTW, is ultimately possible with an AEG. PTW's are simply constructed to tighter tolerances, which makes their potential accuracy higher. But if you made an AEG just as rigid inside as a PTW, they should by all means perform the same.
Old August 21st, 2014, 22:47   #24
bryanman
Banned

Hmmm, ok thanks guys, the only problem now is that my barrel has to be 550 or else i'll have bbs flying through the outer barrel :banghead: (that is a problem...right?)

Maybe I'll look for a steel(?) TBB. I'm just assuming off the top of my head that they would most likely be better than a brass? (I think the SKS one is)
bryanman is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications