Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

MechBox.com

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old November 21st, 2006, 00:25   #1
tunabreath

MechBox.com

Has anyone seen this site yet? I though it was pretty good, but I'd like to see an actual gundoc/airsmith's opinion:
http://www.mechbox.com/site/
Old November 21st, 2006, 00:30   #2
Mongoose

Cool site...too bad they don't have anything regarding Armalites. Good find tunabreath!!
Old November 21st, 2006, 00:51   #3
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Good site. Check out their recompilation of my spring comparison chart. It was a collaborative effort.

http://www.mechbox.com/site/airsoft-...son-chart.html
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:11   #4
Gryphon

Brian, while I deeply respect the time and effort you put into producing that spring chart, I cannot help but feel the results are inaccurately high due to the bearing spring guide and piston head, tightbore barrel, and other upgrades over stock parts that will serve to preload the spring and improve efficiency. For example, the Prometheus MS110SP ought to clock in at 363 fps according to a straight conversion from 110 m/s. However the chart shows it chronoed 386 fps, some 23 fps over what is normally expected. Why not perform these tests on a stock gun? Wouldn't it make for a more accurate representation of spring velocities?
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:56   #5
Pip

Send a message via MSN to Pip
Wow, thanks Tuna for finding this :cheers:
Smelly troll is smelly.
Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:09   #6
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Brian, while I deeply respect the time and effort you put into producing that spring chart, I cannot help but feel the results are inaccurately high due to the bearing spring guide and piston head, tightbore barrel, and other upgrades over stock parts that will serve to preload the spring and improve efficiency. For example, the Prometheus MS110SP ought to clock in at 363 fps according to a straight conversion from 110 m/s. However the chart shows it chronoed 386 fps, some 23 fps over what is normally expected. Why not perform these tests on a stock gun? Wouldn't it make for a more accurate representation of spring velocities?
Again, that's not the point of the chart.

The chart is meant as a comparison between different springs... ie "how much higher can I expect THIS spring to shoot over this OTHER spring?"

Most of the other upgrade parts that I had installed in my test platform were purposely put in there NOT to boost fps, but because they offered considerably higher consistent velocity results over stock parts. I did that in an effort to minimize all variances as much as possible so that the results of the spring test were as accurate as possible.

If I were to go your route, I might as well have also tested in an M4 platform, since that is the most common gun out there... but I chose the P90 because:
a) its design provides a much more consistent velocity
b) its much easier and quicker to swap springs

A side-result of using the P90 is that the velocities also tend to be higher (I surmise this is based on the better air seal design it holds over all Armalites and almost any other AEG design available.)

I hope the above made sense.

Last edited by ILLusion; November 21st, 2006 at 02:13..
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:39   #7
Gryphon

Perfectly, and the spring chart makes more sense to me now also. Though may I humbly suggest a note is added to it that indicates the upgrades and such will provide atypically higher velocities than you would normally see on a stock gun? I know I've referred to it a few times with the intent of sourcing a spring that will get me to a certain average velocity and had to consider the variance due to the extra goodies.

Again, fantastic job on the chart Brian. Hope my comments aren't taken the wrong way.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 12:32   #8
HaZarD SFD

A bunch of locals this weekend are getting together and will have a recording of an Armalite mechbox teardown and rebuild!
Old November 21st, 2006, 12:38   #9
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Perfectly, and the spring chart makes more sense to me now also. Though may I humbly suggest a note is added to it that indicates the upgrades and such will provide atypically higher velocities than you would normally see on a stock gun? I know I've referred to it a few times with the intent of sourcing a spring that will get me to a certain average velocity and had to consider the variance due to the extra goodies.

Again, fantastic job on the chart Brian. Hope my comments aren't taken the wrong way.
That note has always been in place, as follows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springchart
Your results will vary from these published below. Different upgrades will provide different results. The data contained in this chart should only be used as a reference and as a comparison between springs. Not as a precise predictor of your results.
I have encountered some upgrades (generally mostly stock) that resulted in velocities higher than what's posted in my chart. Hence, my unwillingness to indicate which way the difference leans.

Last edited by ILLusion; November 21st, 2006 at 12:40..
Old November 21st, 2006, 13:24   #10
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
One problem I've found with the spring chart (not so much the spring chart, but the way it's used as a reference by new airsofters) is they get in the mindset of "This <insert spring> will get me this fps!" then find out they aren't getting it. I remember getting my new Prometheus 110SP spring and installing it in my MP5 with the bearing spring guide, and found my velocity was around 340fps using 0.20g BBs. Anyways, I yanked it and put my good PDI 150% back in, and when I got my second MP5, put the 110 in there.

Maybe if someone could make a chart for basic mild upgrades most people will do it could be a better resource fo the community? I respect highly Brian's work on the present one, but get tired of explaining to people (who are constantly quoting it based only upon what fps their spring choice is) that there are a LOT of other factors that give that number, other upgrades that will affect the fps, etc. Overall I try to discourage newer players who want to upgrade their gun to 400fps to go with a lower setup, generally around 350-360fps. Hate it when players want to use 400fps as their goal and not treat it as the maximum velocity allowed.

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; November 21st, 2006 at 13:32..
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 14:49   #11
yanhchan

Send a message via AIM to yanhchan Send a message via MSN to yanhchan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZarD SFD View Post
A bunch of locals this weekend are getting together and will have a recording of an Armalite mechbox teardown and rebuild!
YAY!!!!!!!!

Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country ~John F. Kennedy
yanhchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 19:57   #12
6mm

Arrow About Mechbox.com

Hi tunabreath, et al.

Thanks for finding us and posting questions about Mechbox.com. I'm also curious to hear what other "smiths" have to say about the videos we are developing!

I do consider myself a gundoc as I've been repairing, upgrading and modifying airsoft guns for more than 5 years.

The videos developed have so far been fairly shallow in content. We debated whether to go into the finer points of mechbox repairs, etc. and decided that a series of basic breakdowns would be a good place to start. We do plan to get more in depth as quickly as we can.

In regard to quality, correct information, tips, suggestions and feedback...we are absolutely open to user input. Our goal is to provide the best information in the quickest and cleanest format possible. We are working as fast as we can to turn out better and better content.

Down the road, we would LOVE to add trusted gundocs, airsmiths and gun type "experts" from the community. For example, almost every team/club has a fanatic of one kind or another...someone who breathes G36, or worships the Armalite models. These are exactly the personalities we'd like to call on to create more in-depth articles about modifying their favorite guns.

I hope that adds some clarity to who/what we are!

6mm, out.

Last edited by 6mm; November 21st, 2006 at 20:08..
6mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 22:36   #13
Mud Gunner

Send a message via MSN to Mud Gunner Send a message via Yahoo to Mud Gunner
well

6mm,

You are one of my new airsoft heroes, your video helped me put my mechbox back together and I think this time better than the last guy who "retuned it".

Look forward to seeign the latest and greatest as I think your efforts will make the sport all that much better going forward, least it did for me!

One idea is develop wiring configurations, from front to back and vice versa and soldering tips, be a great addition to what you have on yoru site now!

Mud
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:03   #14
Hortons Heros

How is this site not stickied or added to new and information, heck even solutions section!

Better than a diagram, show you so much more than a page of typing can and easy to reference number marks when people ask question

Q"my AK fire selector isn't working right"
A"reference this page from 1 min to 2:05"
http://www.mechbox.com/site/ak47-resassembly-video.html

maybe over simplified example but you get the idea
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:17   #15
conrad13

Send a message via MSN to conrad13
6mm, you made my upgrade really easy on my M4.
conrad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications