Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Is airsoft dead?

:

General

Old July 28th, 2008, 16:38   #16
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Airsoft players in Ottawa has at least doubled if not tripled in the Ottawa area the past two years, so there's no way it's shrinking here, even if Foxtail inadvertantly lead a boycott against his own field and left it as privately hosted games only.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 16:42   #17
Tankdude

Started with one airsofter in fredericton 3 years ago. Me.

Now there is about 20?
Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 19:20   #18
whisper_kill

This "old" airsofter is still around, on the boards and playing in the field.

I've seen impressive player counts for OP: Border War I and now OP: Border War II. The biggest stumbling blocks over our U.S. brothers is total player count and kick ass facilities. The U.S. military sees airsoft as a recruitment opportunity.

I'm currently working on three distinctly different airsoft gaming series and two new fields with as much pyro, vehicles, smoke and effects I can cram into them, coupled with kick ass storylines and objectives. On paper, they look awesome!

And I'm afraid the pricing for these type of games will be higher to cover these added costs but I think at the end of the day it's the attention detail and good solid gaming that puts the shit eating grin on your face.

Airsoft in Ontario is far from dead.

P.S. Ah hell, that was my 666th post... I will be flamed for sure.
Old July 28th, 2008, 19:26   #19
chrono88

Send a message via MSN to chrono88
yeah when i first joined in NS it was a blessing if we got 10 people out to a game, now games usually have around 30+ minimum so can't complain.
Old July 28th, 2008, 20:00   #20
Nik12

Send a message via MSN to Nik12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper_kill View Post
Airsoft in Ontario is far from dead.
Truer words have ne'er been spoken.

Translation: +1

Even Northern Ontario has its share of hxcsofters.

Out of Sport. Have Fun!
Nik12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 00:11   #21
Lakonian
kos

Money/time is my main issue, unfortunately.

Otherwise I'd hit it up every session.
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:32   #22
LUTNIT

Two years ago when I first started having 25 people show up to a game was a big deal. Now they have to put player caps on games at the LZ because too many people want to play.
LUTNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:54   #23
T_A_N_K

I think there are a lot in the Toronto Area, like Brian said at the moment there are several games a week we can attend. The Flagraiders game on the 22nd of June probably had about 75% of all airsofters within a reasonable distance. I started hosting games a paintball field my friends own, we were planning on making a permanent airsoft field in an area they weren't using but that fell through. The field was open in 2001 and has not recived proper maintenance until recently, however for a paintball facility I would say its pretty clean, and thats good enough for some airsofters since many don't have vehicles and if they do like myself, I really don't want to drive all the way to Flagraiders for a game (80km one way) or Wasaga(130km one way) which are the closest outdoors field in the GTA I would say, at least Im pretty sure they are. Now considering its summer time and held at a paintball facility I get on average say 10-15 a game, however I only host every other week usually so players have enough notice to plan ahead. This upcomming game this Thursday Im expecting at least 20 players to a max of 30 which is a lot considering its outdoor season. Its all about location and accessibility, currently right by the 401 for those who drive and for those taking public transit theres a subway station close by and a bus takes you to the front of the door. Once winter hits, as far as I know there will be only 3 regular airsoft venues in the Toronto Area, TTAC3, Area51, and SGT Splatters, and a game once in a while at Wasaga Beach. The summer games I've been hosting were just tests to see what kind of airsoft interest is out there, and so far theres seems to be quite a bit. Because it is an established paintball field and old military facility (Formerly CFB Downsview) they have catered to at least once to MIL/LE since my friends took over, and they were quite happy. IIRC it was was reserve medical unit which wanted to simulate trauma situations while taking fire.

But in the end, it is a paintball field, and will always be one as it is their main source of revenue.

Last edited by T_A_N_K; July 29th, 2008 at 02:00..
T_A_N_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:38   #24
Lawdog

Hey Tank:

I actually think the closest field to TO is Harm's Way where we host Border Wars, Humanity's Hammer etc.

I have seen nothing but growth in the time I have been in AS. Our team is growing, and considering the number of people I AV, even if only one in five makes it to a game we will still be growing.

Ld
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:57   #25
Gunk
In his Trunk!

Send a message via MSN to Gunk
If I had my own car I'd be out there every weekend I wasn't working... most weeknight indoor games too...

As is, I depend on rides...
"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Numenor, and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:27   #26
-Erebus-
pugster1980

Send a message via MSN to -Erebus-
I am somewhat new to the sport and I have got a few friends into it as well. I play at TANKS games and have a blast (other than paint getting everywhere). I have noticed a couple of things that drive people away from airsoft. Now, before you look at my profile and say "hes unvarified" You're right, however im 28 and I'll be getting varified at TANKS game this week.

1) The availability of weapons and gear. Unfortunately, it is incredibly hard for alot of people to get the weapons they want in this country. Unlike paintball, you cant just go to anystore and get good weapons. I only have 2 rifles and it was hard enough to get those.
2) There seems to be alot of kids (under 18) in the sport. For me, I was a bit turned off by this only because everyone wants to be with people in the same age range. I did however get over it when the kids I played with at A51 were actually really good and had great attitudes. Initially, I was worried though.
3) This kind of "Play" is so looked down apon in this country because of the gun problem we have. There seems to be a growing number of airsofters in areas outside the GTA but i believe its because people in these areas are not as sensitive about the subject. Why? Because all people in the GTA hear about on the news is gang and gun violence EVERYDAY. Most of these people in the GTA see us as a bunch of guys playing with guns and thats it. I know its stupid but thats life. Because our guns are replicas, we will always have a negative image.

I have been trying to find a dual facility (indoor/outdoor)in the newmarket and bradford area to help the people that dont like to spend the gas money to go to wasaga or toronto and to help grow the sport in this area. So far I have some great leads but i wanted to wait to be age varified before I start setting it up so that people on ASC will take me and my team seriously.
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:39   #27
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

I'll be in next year!
Would've been playing now, but my father is an old fart. He hates running around. I was 10 and he was too lazy to play ball with me!
But yeah, you'll have me in forsure next year. It's great living in central/mid Toronto. Get around easy, downtown, North, West or East, as when I go for the 404 or 401, they are the same distance from my house so I don't need to worry about haha. I need to start saving up for a car though, a motorcycle won't last me through rain and snow, even with a 40 inch gun in a rifle bag on my back, nor a f150 truck either. Have a ford focus, but that's for my mother. hah. Everything will be sorted out before next year. I've got a few friends of my own (same age), even my twin brother into airsoft. But they don't have the kind of money yet, but I know they will be interested into renting the guns and gears.
Why would people quit airsoft? It's a good sport for the mind, and keeping up your healthy life as in running, and loosing the fat under the gears of heat!
Not sure it will help your eyes when you're old..

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 15:20   #28
arman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I don't think airsoft is dead. Although it seems difficult to keep it alive in Canada, for the obvious reasons. During the winter time we usually head out to XT in Winnipeg of which is an indoor arena, I think if their commited enough to the sport, they will come.
roger that...we drive 4 hours 1 way to kitchener in the winter to play indoors... but it is hard here in Canada for the airsoft...

playing with my kid!
arman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 23:54   #29
Red62

a lot of younger people are getting into paintball more than Airsofting around where i live. However, there are still a few people you can find around here that have decent equipment and armory that isn't from Walmart or Canadian Tire. For home games, they are fun to use though, but i doubt they'll be any good for real games.
**Certified Tornado Tech**Will fix your guns for food and BBs**
Red62 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General