Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

NVG Equipment Gallery

:

Gear Discussion

Old June 20th, 2012, 16:23   #181
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Skeletor- View Post
Something I've notiched, not many people keep the lense cap on/attached to their PVS14s, etc.

Bit of advice/tip tie off a piece of 550/paracord to the lense cap and the PVS14(or whichever NVG you have) so you don't loose it. To avoid the lense cap from being annoying/swinging when it is no longer on the lense, try this..

get a set of 1x1inch velcro(hook and loop) and attach one of the 1x1inch squares to the lense cap and the other 1x1 onto the side of the NVGs. When lense cap is not on the lense, just stick it to the NVG and no more annoying swinging lense cap in front of your face.
A lot of us also just dump the lens cap and leave the sac lens on.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 19:16   #182
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Yea, nobody runs day covers anymore, just sac lenses.
ITT Sac lenses are external so that they are compatible with LIF, they are also coated optics.. and your day cover won't fit over that.

But if you do happen to run your day cover, and one of the older L3 Sac lenses, that's solid advice for sure.
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 20:35   #183
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Skeletor- View Post
Didn't know there was different sized sacrificial lenses that don't accept the cover. I wouldn't say nobody uses the covers anymore, maybe not you guys with the different lenses. But I think everyone in my last unit, and current unit still use them.

I like running the cover since I sometimes attach the NVG's to the helmet when it's still light out(but close to darkness) plus it's an extra bit of protection when the NVG's are in my pack.

On a unrelated note, these are a pretty cool item and work well
Wilcox amber filter covers
http://www.ownthenight.com/catalog/i138.html
Yea, extra protection from dirt/dust and crap is always good.

We've been using the Wilcox amber filters for quite some time, my only real beef with them is the following: They fall off easily, especially on PVS-15's (since it snaps onto the eyepiece oppose to screwing in) And they cause some minor eye relief problems on the PVS-14's.

Now what I would be interested in picking up, would be some PVS-15 Orion filters.

However at about $160.00 per filter vs $50.00 for the Wilcox one, seems a little bit expensive. I did get to talk to Wilcox industries at Shot show, discussed some of the issues with the Wilcox Amber filters and was told that they are going to release one similar to the Orion filter down the road. So maybe I'll just hold out for that.
Old June 20th, 2012, 21:37   #184
Karma_

Do you find a big benefit to having the amber filters?

The cost of being legit is high
Karma_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 22:14   #185
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma_ View Post
Do you find a big benefit to having the amber filters?
Honestly, the only thing I was told: "We saw your green eyes, but we were dead anyways"

So I think the only real benefit so far has been less eye strain. I would say you do lose a low % of visibility when using the filters, weather or not you are ok with that is completely up to the operators fancy.

The filters are handy on PVS-15's since everything gain related on the 15's is automatic, thus the brightness can be overwhelming at times. You can't be fiddling with gain control for two eyes, and then on top of that screwing around with your objective focus for each individual eye. So if anything the filters "normalize" the gain a bit.

I guess the only other big thing for our purposes would be it functioning as another level of protection between bb's and the eyepiece glass. So if you're not running demist shields, a single $50.00 dollar Wilcox filter would probably be a worthy investment in the "protect my shit" department.
Old July 11th, 2012, 22:45   #186
z0ng

After my sacrificial lens got shot out at the LZ last weekend I decided to just make my own out of 1/4" plexiglass:

Very pleased with the results, not the greatest picture but it sits inside the threaded section perfectly. Used some duct-tape to fill the space between the plexi and the inner threading on the PVS-14 objective lens. Had to use some pliers to screw it into place fully but its pretty damn solid and I expect will stay there until I have a need to clean the lens.

This stuff will take a large number of BB hits before shattering too not just one or two

Team GHOSTS G-42
How to fix your WE M4 Mags
z0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:34   #187
BrunoSardine

Seeing all of these fancy toilet paper rolls made me want to take the plunge and start saving up to get some myself

I'm thinking about going with PVS-15's. I need to get an arm with a Dovetail mount (I'm going with the AKA2) but is there any other essential things that I should consider getting?

I'm going to put aside a percentage of my paychecks from now on so I'll save up as much as I need to, however long it takes!
BrunoSardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:39   #188
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoSardine View Post
Seeing all of these fancy toilet paper rolls made me want to take the plunge and start saving up to get some myself

I'm thinking about going with PVS-15's. I need to get an arm with a Dovetail mount (I'm going with the AKA2) but is there any other essential things that I should consider getting?

I'm going to put aside a percentage of my paychecks from now on so I'll save up as much as I need to, however long it takes!
1. Get one with a 5 year warranty, since its the price of a car, its worth the extra money.

2. If you're using it for airsoft, get the wilcox sac lenses - they are far superior protection to any other sac lens on the market.

3. Wilcox amber filters or orion filters, whichever tickles your fancy. PVS-15's are extremely bright.

4. get a good helmet/counterweight
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:56   #189
BrunoSardine

Good to know, thanks! Hopefully this doesn't take 50 years :P
BrunoSardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 09:54   #190
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoSardine View Post
Good to know, thanks! Hopefully this doesn't take 50 years :P
I'm waiting till they can just install the upgrade into my skull..
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 01:24   #191
Derpystronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
I'm waiting till they can just install the upgrade into my skull..

I know a guy who can hook you up at the mere cost of your individuality. You might need to get some custom eye pro made as well.
Derpystronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:45   #192
Kingsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltastone View Post

I know a guy who can hook you up at the mere cost of your individuality. You might need to get some custom eye pro made as well.
bwhahaha Win!
Old July 15th, 2012, 11:43   #193
Wantabe_Warrior

Saw (bad pun) that one coming.

perks:
Chairsofter
Fortunate Son
Wantabe_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 20:40   #194
Qlong
Division

Qlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 20:51   #195
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Qlong have I ever told you how much I hate (which means jealous of) you.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion