Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Best Goggle + Mesh Mask Combo

:

Gear Discussion

Old July 30th, 2014, 00:11   #1
Bar1975

Best Goggle + Mesh Mask Combo

im switching from full face mask to Helmet/Comtac Headset attached to helmet and Goggles with a half mesh mask

I have the headset and helmet almost figured out but not sure on the latest goggle/mask options.. i've never used them but from what i've seen they don't really seem to fit properly?

I have custom built in fans inside my full face mask because i get super hot and fogging is a MAJOR issue for me.. the goggles either need to have a fan pre-installed or large enough depth to allow for a fan installation.

any goggle recos?
Bar1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 09:07   #2
brock0

Highly recommend the Smith OTW Turbofan goggle. They work great and the fan is super quiet. No fogging issues at all, even in high humidity when I'm sweating my ass off while laying in the tall grass with zero breeze. I use them with a basic mesh lower mask and it works well. It will take some fiddling to find what's comfortable for you. I also got a large boonie cap and the goggle strap + battery pack, and mesh mask strap fit nicely underneath.

I am however getting a bit tired of having a bunch of straps on my head (I just picked up a comms headset as well) so I've ordered a fast helmet replica in the hopes that I can attach all my kit to that instead. I think having the mesh mask attached to the helmet with velco will be a lot more convenient.

This will be pretty close to my final setup. Planning to attach the mask and goggles to the arc rail / velcro on the helmet.
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 11:22   #3
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
I second the Smith Optics OTWs. Though my fan is now burnt out, it is two years old and has been through more OPs and games than I can count. It's also been through many games that took place during torrential rain storms, which is probably what caused the fan to burn out, but it still took over a year and a half of rigid abuse. Even still, I took the foam off from the frame and even without the fan I don't fog.

With regards to setting up your helmet for strapless joy, yo:

Smith Optics makes helmet bungee adapter for the OTWs just as they do for the Boogie Regulator goggles. My mesh also has a home made bungee setup to secure it to my helmet with the Headloc clips.
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:22   #4
brock0

Awesome, thanks for that.
Old July 30th, 2014, 15:37   #5
Bar1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock0 View Post
I am however getting a bit tired of having a bunch of straps on my head (I just picked up a comms headset as well) so I've ordered a fast helmet replica in the hopes that I can attach all my kit to that instead. I think having the mesh mask attached to the helmet with velco will be a lot more convenient.

This will be pretty close to my final setup. Planning to attach the mask and goggles to the arc rail / velcro on the helmet.
Where do you get those gogles? I've never seen them at local airsoft retail stores (ontario)

Also...What headset did you just pick up? Im looking to get setup with a full head gear rig.. i have nothing right now.

Last edited by Bar1975; July 30th, 2014 at 15:44..
Old July 30th, 2014, 15:50   #6
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

those are revision desert locusts... military stuff.
Old July 30th, 2014, 16:18   #7
Hughes
BurningBeard

The Smith Boogie Bungee cables ZTR mentioned can be attached to the desert locusts too. You just have to sacrifice your strap.
As for mesh. A hair dryer, tin snips, hot glue gun, and some elbow grease will make almost any mesh mask work with any goggles
Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 17:20   #8
brock0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar1975 View Post
Where do you get those gogles? I've never seen them at local airsoft retail stores (ontario)

Also...What headset did you just pick up? Im looking to get setup with a full head gear rig.. i have nothing right now.
If you're talking about the Smith turbofans, I had to order online. Don't recall where.

I got a z-tac cobra headset as a "just for now" cheapo option.
Old July 30th, 2014, 22:00   #9
fuhrmanz
previously Bunker_King

Send a message via MSN to fuhrmanz
Wow Zack.. You don't fog without fan.. I use the same one without foam and if the fan is off, it's like Newfoundland fog party.
fuhrmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 09:47   #10
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrmanz View Post
Wow Zack.. You don't fog without fan.. I use the same one without foam and if the fan is off, it's like Newfoundland fog party.
I am too, but I use C-Clear in conjunction with no foam. I also find that using the bungees I can have the goggles not sitting as tight against my face. This helps with the fogging as well without opening any gaps.

In the off season I will likely grab a brand new pair of OTWs with turbo fan, just to get back to pinnacle anti-fog status.
Old July 31st, 2014, 23:33   #11
Bar1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack The Ripper View Post
In the off season I will likely grab a brand new pair of OTWs with turbo fan, just to get back to pinnacle anti-fog status.
Where will you likely pick these up from?
Old August 6th, 2014, 20:52   #12
brock0

Needs tweaking but I'm pretty much there. 5 billion percent improvement over strapping all that junk directly to my head.

Old August 6th, 2014, 22:49   #13
fuhrmanz
previously Bunker_King

Send a message via MSN to fuhrmanz
Bar1975, I got mine (OTW) shipped from DS Tactical. I know there's an other supplier in Canada put I can't remember the name. They had the bungee also.
Just like real AKs.
fuhrmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion