Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Anyone else longing for a shift to real cap mags?

:

General

Old December 12th, 2013, 11:23   #106
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Like button?
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 18:20   #107
slowbird

I only ask this cause I have never been in a real cap game:

Would everyone just run low caps for their weapons, or are they loaded with the same amount of rounds that the real-steel equivalant would hold?

If the latter, how are things settled when it comes to knowing/not knowing how many rounds the mag should be loaded with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath144 View Post
If your #1 goal in an airsoft game is to shoot people, you do not belong in this conversation.
Very true.
Old December 12th, 2013, 18:35   #108
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Real cap magazines are either 30 rounds, or within a few (2-5) rounds of their real steel counterpart for the most part. Magazines that hold more than this, are usually banned from use, or must have a physical block or pin to be fieldable.
Old December 12th, 2013, 18:36   #109
ThunderCactus

they do actually sell realcap mags that only hold 20/30/however many rounds you're supposed to have

otherwise load your lowcaps to realcap loads (like we used to do at scrims)

someone at the game always knows, but a good rule of thumb is 30. Most firearms will have 30 round mags. Some will have 20 and some 50, and some 25, but mostly 30.
Old December 12th, 2013, 18:41   #110
DrDoUm

I have seen two systems. Either the player is responsible to know the realsteel equivalent and load according to that or the organiser decided on a fixed number for all the assault rifles, sniper rifles, LMG and pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
I only ask this cause I have never been in a real cap game:

Would everyone just run low caps for their weapons, or are they loaded with the same amount of rounds that the real-steel equivalant would hold?

If the latter, how are things settled when it comes to knowing/not knowing how many rounds the mag should be loaded with?
Old December 12th, 2013, 19:21   #111
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Magazines that hold more than this, are usually banned from use, or must have a physical block or pin to be fieldable.
We just short load, but it's interesting to hear that you guys will ban or require that mags are pinned. Here, if you're challenged, you'll have to show that you're not exceeding the limit.

IMO, it's a little overboard/excessive to ban but if it works for you guys, run with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
And Coach, I didn't wanna say it outright, but yeah.
lol

Last edited by coach; December 12th, 2013 at 19:23..
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 19:25   #112
Ricochet

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
We just short load, but it's interesting to hear that you guys will ban or require that mags are pinned. Here, if you're challenged, you'll have to show that you're not exceeding the limit.

IMO, it's a little overboard/excessive to ban but if it works for you guys, run with it.
No, no, I'm in %100 agreement on that. At our field with our friends it's all honor system. But at an event with tons of people, and lots of unknowns, there's got to be continuity, because there will always be a lot of cheaters.
Old December 12th, 2013, 19:26   #113
ThunderCactus

I think lindz meant for realcap LEAGUES, not referring to the odd realcap scrim.
Otherwise it makes no sense to go spent money on a set of mags you only use twice a year lol
Anyway the chances of a massive game in Canada that requires realcap mags is pretty slim, especially if you had to buy a set of mags to play =/
Old December 12th, 2013, 19:55   #114
slowbird

Hmmm...the idea to limit all players with a specific class of weapon to a specific amount of rounds isn't really all that fair IMO. I think it should be Specific to the weapon.

Yeah, maybe pistols to hold 15(ish) rounds...but I shouldn't have to load my P90 Low Caps with less ammo.

I do like the idea of a certain amount of ammo per player (not too exceed a certain x00 rounds) and if everyone has the Low/real caps and the gear to field them then I'm down for that aswell.

Last edited by slowbird; December 12th, 2013 at 19:59..
slowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 20:00   #115
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
No, no, I'm in %100 agreement on that. At our field with our friends it's all honor system. But at an event with tons of people, and lots of unknowns, there's got to be continuity, because there will always be a lot of cheaters.
understood! though cheaters are always found out and outed!

Quote:
Hmmm...the idea to limit all players with a specific class of weapon to a specific amount of rounds isn't really all that fair IMO. I think it should be Specific to the weapon.
Thus the term "real" capacity!

In "real" life, it happens all the time and not all rifles will have the same capacity.
Old December 12th, 2013, 20:10   #116
slowbird

Quote:

Thus the term "real" capacity!

In "real" life, it happens all the time and not all rifles will have the same capacity.
That's my point. Someone answered my original question saying that occasionally during real cap games the organizer will set a fixed ammo amount for all class of guns.

I was simply commenting that I don't see that as being fair for real cap games.

If I was playing an event and was told my low cap P90 mag with 50 rounds in it has too many rounds in it I wouldn't be impressed.
Old December 12th, 2013, 20:23   #117
coach
aka coachster

I think 2 things are being discussed here. Real cap and ammo cap.

Real Cap - as in an equivalent to it's real world counterpart eg. M4 = 30 rounds; P90 = 50 rounds; M14 = 20 rounds etc...

Ammo Cap - everyone is permitted to load to a maximum capacity per mag.

I see the benefit in both but often do see more games lean more towards ammo caps where everyone's mags are loaded to 30 rounds and no more.

The idea is that it levels the playing field and no one has an advantage over another regardless of what type of weapon you can afford or have working at the time.

With a real cap game, where you're limited to what the real weapon would carry, you can get into arguments about what a particular weapon's maximum capacity is. Take an MP5 for an example. What is the capacity everyone is allowed? 15? 30? 32? 40? What about a 100 round beta box? Then there's the 60 or 100 round surefire mag for M4's.

Last edited by coach; December 12th, 2013 at 20:29..
Old December 12th, 2013, 20:31   #118
Ricochet

Yeah, but a specific rule is a specific rule. I don't show up to WWII games with my carbine, I don't show up to woodland versus Cadpat in my multicam, and I don't show up to real cap games with a gun that doesn't have real caps available, or I don't have real caps for.

People's personal gear limit and/or budget is their sole responsibility, and not that of game organizers.
Old December 12th, 2013, 20:46   #119
DrDoUm

Quote:
That's my point. Someone answered my original question saying that occasionally during real cap games the organizer will set a fixed ammo amount for all class of guns.

I was simply commenting that I don't see that as being fair for real cap games.

If I was playing an event and was told my low cap P90 mag with 50 rounds in it has too many rounds in it I wouldn't be impressed.
Maybe I didn't explain clearly. I don't remember the precise numbers, but the rule was something like 30rounds mag capacity for every rifle even though a P90 real cap would have been 50rounds... or 15 rounds for every pistols even do some pistols would be less... so it was not replica specific... more or less based on the most common denominator.

This rule worked though it did not make consensus... the P90 was in the center of the debate and my intention is not to reopen the debate... I was just mentionning some people did it that way.

Last edited by DrDoUm; December 12th, 2013 at 20:56..
DrDoUm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 20:51   #120
slowbird

Ahhh....I am understanding more. So a "Real Cap Event" they would want actual "real cap" magazines and not just low caps loaded with the real cap amount of rounds.

Quote:
With a real cap game, where you're limited to what the real weapon would carry, you can get into arguments about what a particular weapon's maximum capacity is. Take an MP5 for an example. What is the capacity everyone is allowed? 15? 30? 32? 40? What about a 100 round beta box? Then there's the 60 or 100 round surefire mag for M4's.
Yes! ...and that's why I askd my original question about what happens during real-cap games and what is decided, cause there are sooo many variants of different weapons with differing Ammo capacities.

Quote:
I see the benefit in both but often do see more games lean more towards ammo caps where everyone's mags are loaded to 30 rounds and no more.

The idea is that it levels the playing field and no one has an advantage over another regardless of what type of weapon you can afford or have working at the time.
I see how giving everyone the same amount of ammo in a mag to be leveling the playing field in one sense, but it's still unfair in others. My P90 may have 20 more rounds in a mag but I can only carry so many since they're gigantic Toblerone bars.

I don't agree with the practice of limiting players to a maximum capacity per mag regardless of the weapon they are using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoUm View Post
Maybe I didn't explain clearly. I don't remember the precise numbers, but the rule was something like 30rounds mag capacity for every rifle even though a P90 real cap would have been 50rounds... or 15 rounds for every pistols even do some pistols would be less... so it was not replica specific..

This rule worked though it did not make consensus...
I understand what you're saying Dr. :-)

If that was the rule for an event I was attending I'd leave the P90 at home...and hopefully it was clearly explained before hand so I wouldn't be SOL when I arrived.

Last edited by slowbird; December 12th, 2013 at 21:06..
slowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General