Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Business Idea

:

General

Old May 12th, 2008, 18:10   #31
Naglfar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha Do View Post
In order to compete against the plethora of different paintball fields, you would require a piece of property that provides a hugh variety of terrain that would appeal to the different styles of play. Thick bush, with some sparce older growth, some areas of pine, rolling hills, natural berms, some open field, and so on.
SHA DO
I've played on this property, if I recall correctly there are open hills around an open grassy area surrounded by forest. Some manner of pathways throughout the entire property, a very temporal forest, other places with more woodland/thick brush. It's actually quite accommodating to most styles of play to my knowledge with exception mainly to Vietnam/swampland sims, I don't recall any water being nearby.
The property is 15 minutes from downtown Barrie, and roughly 25-30 minutes from where the 401 meets the 400 so driving is not bad.

If you were to go through with this, I would support you in any way I could just like, I imagine the rest of DVP and probably Necrohaus.
Naglfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 19:56   #32
The Lettonian
a.k.a. FNG_13

Send a message via Skype™ to The Lettonian
wow...that's alot of post to respond to...this could take a while....

Alright, first off, location. Land is located HERE You can actually see the boundary line if you look closely...it's essentially a square that runs roadside, roadside, field to the north, and then on the west it's the edge of the sandpits and the pond there.

It's not too far off the 400...exit at innisfil beach road, take a right on highway 27, then a left at 20th sideroad. Keep going and it's on your right just after Simcoe County Road 56.

Zoning-wise it's residential, so that would be pretty tough to change, I think.

With regard to manufacture, thanks for the backing Hitarosu! And Daiviet, when the time comes I'll give you a call. I'm starting to put some of my ideas on paper, so I'll put those up when I get a chance.

As for BBs it just occured to me as one of those things insurance might be a bitch about. If not, then I'd be more than happy to re-consider that part of it. Especially because some people use tracers, others have a certain brand preferance, still others are just cheap...airsoft is very individualistic in that sense.

Attendance is something I gave a fair bit of thought today. The idea here would be to not only get the airsoft community involved, but also locals looking for a bit of fun. I went to mow a neighbour's lawn in the middle of writing this post, so I'm going to post it and add more afterwards.
|: Nos habebit humus! :|
Raug, draugi, kā šī kanna mirdz, kā puto alutiņš? Dievs zin, cik ilgi līksmo sirds, lai baudām drīz!
The Lettonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 23:32   #33
The Lettonian
a.k.a. FNG_13

I just downloaded google sketchup, and i'm going to try to put together a rough plan of what my proposed floor would look like, including the mechanism for the floor cover units...even if this never happens, I think some of the idea are sound and could be shared.
Raug, draugi, kā šī kanna mirdz, kā puto alutiņš? Dievs zin, cik ilgi līksmo sirds, lai baudām drīz!
Old May 13th, 2008, 00:08   #34
Lisa
Looking for form T-whatev

When I was looking at buying a field it the idea of memberships popped into my head. then it's run as a private club, which have slightly different rules.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 00:53   #35
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
Yea, but just skimming by with rent, tuition etc, its not financially feasable for me while im still in school. However in the future i would like to buy a nice farmhouse up north, with a big chunk of woodland, field etc. My idea is to use this field to bring in a little income to pay for taxes, utilies etc. Im in the field of Network Administration and I hope to one day to run my own business. I figure i can run a T1-T3 line to the house, run my home business from the house and use Airsoft rentals, repair, parts to suppliment my income to ease the pain of my bills. I dont expect to make much profit (if any) from my future ideas, but it will help I think.

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:27   #36
Daiviet
Captain Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG_13 View Post
I just downloaded google sketchup, and i'm going to try to put together a rough plan of what my proposed floor would look like, including the mechanism for the floor cover units...even if this never happens, I think some of the idea are sound and could be shared.
pass me up your plans when you're done with em, i might be able to cad them up. I've also got the latest building code around so I can at least make it according to the law.
Daiviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:30   #37
Epic MacPhail
aka Hitarosu

Send a message via MSN to Epic MacPhail
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiviet View Post
pass me up your plans when you're done with em, i might be able to cad them up. I've also got the latest building code around so I can at least make it according to the law.
I'll take a copy as well, I've got a few designing programs via computer and there's always the old pencil and paper. Preferably after he gets through with the laws, lol

Again, I still think it's a good idea, but it would have to be run by more than just one person. You could be in charge yes, but you'd have to have a group of very dedicated people to help cover for you while you are making money at another job, if something comes up or busy during a scheduled game.

Please note: Posting more when I get home, at school now.
Epic MacPhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:04   #38
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:

Zoning-wise it's residential, so that would be pretty tough to change, I think.

so, right there your plan is a non starter.

Changing zoning from Rural Residential to Commercial recreational is no small undertaking.

Municiple Varience to official plan, Environmental Assessment and then after substantial time and Money invested, still little chance you can get your varience.

This is exactly why the frequent "hey I gots some land.. I'm gonna makes an airsoft field" proclaimations almost never pan out.

do some homework.. find out if its even possible, get funding..do market research and then announce that you have a project off the ground.

otherwise its all nothing but Idle speculation.. and "would'nt it be cool if" pipe dreams.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:56   #39
The Lettonian
a.k.a. FNG_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
so, right there your plan is a non starter.

Changing zoning from Rural Residential to Commercial recreational is no small undertaking.

Municiple Varience to official plan, Environmental Assessment and then after substantial time and Money invested, still little chance you can get your varience.

This is exactly why the frequent "hey I gots some land.. I'm gonna makes an airsoft field" proclaimations almost never pan out.

do some homework.. find out if its even possible, get funding..do market research and then announce that you have a project off the ground.

otherwise its all nothing but Idle speculation.. and "would'nt it be cool if" pipe dreams.

Turns out I was wrong. It's actually Agricultural. Might make things easier. And I have stated that I will do some more homework, and I am not calling this a project off the ground. It's an idea. If it pans out, great. If not, then at least there's some more material for another enterprising individual to cannabalize. Thank you very much for all your input, Brian...it's great to have someone who knows exactly where to look sharing some knowledge. I'm very appreciative. Keep poking holes in this idea - it's probably the best way for me to see exactly what the weaknesses and challenges are so that I can address them effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiviet

Quote:
I'll take a copy as well, I've got a few designing programs via computer and there's always the old pencil and paper. Preferably after he gets through with the laws, lol

Again, I still think it's a good idea, but it would have to be run by more than just one person. You could be in charge yes, but you'd have to have a group of very dedicated people to help cover for you while you are making money at another job, if something comes up or busy during a scheduled game.

Please note: Posting more when I get home, at school now.
I'm not going to do a CAD of the whole things just yet, since I don't know enough about the structural reqs, etc, but rather a couple of the features. Most notably the floor of the main building, and the slots and covers. I've got some rough sketches on paper so the next step is to draw them up cohesively and then scan them and/or CAD them. Also something to do later, as I'm at work :P

Last edited by The Lettonian; May 13th, 2008 at 12:01..
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:30   #40
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Turns out I was wrong. It's actually Agricultural. Might make things easier.
Depending where you are.. maybe... in other areas.. it will make it impossible.
Some municipalities have freezes on development of agricultural land. So called "green belt" legislation.

My field, located just outside Acton is zoned "Agricultural Recreational" which allows for the use for airsoft.. also the local bylaw allows for the discharge of firearms ( which according to the municipalitly of Halton region airsoft guns are considered firearms ) in the portion of the field that we use.

I expect that the use of farmland for "informal" ( as in not commercial ) recreational use by the owner and his friends and aqaintances would be just fine. However this precludes commercial General Liability coverage. and its likely the Farm risks policy would not cover for liability incurred as a result of skirmishing with "firearms" ( insurance companies will use whatever definition allows them to legally decline a risk or deny a claim )

So if you kept your endeavor non commercial, and "between friends" you could likely go ahead and do it.

Check local building ordinances at to the maximum size you can build a structure without requiring a permit. I think it is something like 10 x 12 or so.

If you look at Flag Raiders.. you will find that most of the structures are that size or less and so classified as "temporary structures"

The Drug lab of course required a building permit and proper foundation construction to meet code due to its size.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 13:51   #41
The Lettonian
a.k.a. FNG_13

Quote:
Depending where you are.. maybe... in other areas.. it will make it impossible.
Some municipalities have freezes on development of agricultural land. So called "green belt" legislation.

My field, located just outside Acton is zoned "Agricultural Recreational" which allows for the use for airsoft.. also the local bylaw allows for the discharge of firearms ( which according to the municipalitly of Halton region airsoft guns are considered firearms ) in the portion of the field that we use.

I expect that the use of farmland for "informal" ( as in not commercial ) recreational use by the owner and his friends and aqaintances would be just fine. However this precludes commercial General Liability coverage. and its likely the Farm risks policy would not cover for liability incurred as a result of skirmishing with "firearms" ( insurance companies will use whatever definition allows them to legally decline a risk or deny a claim )

So if you kept your endeavor non commercial, and "between friends" you could likely go ahead and do it.

Check local building ordinances at to the maximum size you can build a structure without requiring a permit. I think it is something like 10 x 12 or so.

If you look at Flag Raiders.. you will find that most of the structures are that size or less and so classified as "temporary structures"

The Drug lab of course required a building permit and proper foundation construction to meet code due to its size.

It's not greenbelt. Our land in oakville is, which is why a) I don't live there and b) I didn't consider that property. And the temp structures loophole is something I considered as well.
Old May 13th, 2008, 14:18   #42
Daiviet
Captain Sunshine

Quote:

If you want to build anything bigger than 10 sqm, then you need a permit. I'll double check the sqm when I get home but i'm pretty sure thats what it is.

Also anything that has a kind of platform more than 2ft above the ground requires a building permit as well.

For outdoor, if its just the cornered structures, or just small things that don't really resemble a shed or a house you should be fine without a permit.
Daiviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 23:51   #43
The Lettonian
a.k.a. FNG_13

I had two hours on the TTC today, and I figured out exactly how to work the modular building setup. I'll essplain tommorow when I've got some time to make up some sketches.

*edit* Okay, so I'll do some essplaining at work on my lunch break. The idea would be to have a sublfloor on top of which would be a grid of 2x4s, with squares wide enough to slot a 4 by 4 into. Building corners (or at sides, or as needed) end in 4 by 4 "stilts", which slot into the grid. Then to cover the rest of the area, you have large boards (plywood sheets) that have 4x4 pieces in the corners that you slot into the grid in the same way...think inverted LEGO. Then have the "stilts" rotate at the bottom (secure at preset angles with bolts), so that you can place structures on an angle...then to fill in the rest of the floor area with smaller strips and pieces so that you don't have gaping holes around every building. It's alot of wood, admittedly...but what's the general opinion of the concept? I'll post up pics of drawings tonight when I get a chance to do them.

Last edited by The Lettonian; May 14th, 2008 at 11:29..
Old May 14th, 2008, 13:11   #44
Naglfar

It would take a log time I think to reconfigure the structures... a wall made of plywood on either side of 18"-centered studs 10' tall would weigh a considerable amount. Not to mention the trouble of removing a plywood floorboard to put in this new piece and then putting a new sheet back down.

It might be easier to just redesign the interior of buildings in the off-season every year.
Naglfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 13:44   #45
Epic MacPhail
aka Hitarosu

Send a message via MSN to Epic MacPhail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naglfar View Post
It would take a log time I think to reconfigure the structures... a wall made of plywood on either side of 18"-centered studs 10' tall would weigh a considerable amount. Not to mention the trouble of removing a plywood floorboard to put in this new piece and then putting a new sheet back down.

It might be easier to just redesign the interior of buildings in the off-season every year.
I second this as I've experienced working with wood, especially plywood and the likes, tend to be quite heavy and troublesome to move and replace. Also, If I remember correctly, you had an idea to allow for BB collection afterwords? Any news on if that is a go for re-melting and re-making, or would it be just to collect the used BBs for disposal?
Epic MacPhail is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General