Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Krytac Mk2 and shimming

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old August 21st, 2019, 15:31   #1
HaruHaruXD

Krytac Mk2 and shimming

been looking up info on shimming a krytac, and has come across alot of different infos, some stating krytac already has good shimming stock, some saying they take different size shimming, some say the self shimming spring works some say it doesnt,

I want to make the gun less noisy , i have already adjusted motor heights, and i think shimming is the next step in the process of making it sound even better( less whiny) much appreciated
HaruHaruXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 16:14   #2
Ratters

springy shims

shimming a gearbox is sort of like "measuring twice and cut once" but double and triple checked. There are a lot of moving parts inside a gearbox and a possible reason Krytac went with auto shimming is because it is a simpler manufacturing process.

Some auto shim gearboxes work well. honestly i don't know a lot on the subject of auto-shimmed gearboxes. Some might say keep them, others say re-shim and lose them, some could say don't f with it until it's broke.

what you could do, to make things quieter is install a ball bearing spring guide and piston head, re-grease the gears and the bushing contact points and check the angle of engagement. Some people remove the first tooth (from the back) others remove a tooth and a half (from the back) and install a plumbing washer or low crush/high density sorbo pad to the back of the cylinder head.

what you could do is open the gearbox, remove the spring, tappet, tappet spring and nozzle but leave the gears in and screw it back together and use a small screwdriver to press in on both sides of the gears and check for side to side slop. This will also indicate the tension on the self-shimming springs and moving forwards, allow you to make an informed decision.

Last edited by Ratters; August 21st, 2019 at 16:18..
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 17:09   #3
HaruHaruXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
shimming a gearbox is sort of like "measuring twice and cut once" but double and triple checked. There are a lot of moving parts inside a gearbox and a possible reason Krytac went with auto shimming is because it is a simpler manufacturing process.

Some auto shim gearboxes work well. honestly i don't know a lot on the subject of auto-shimmed gearboxes. Some might say keep them, others say re-shim and lose them, some could say don't f with it until it's broke.

what you could do, to make things quieter is install a ball bearing spring guide and piston head, re-grease the gears and the bushing contact points and check the angle of engagement. Some people remove the first tooth (from the back) others remove a tooth and a half (from the back) and install a plumbing washer or low crush/high density sorbo pad to the back of the cylinder head.

what you could do is open the gearbox, remove the spring, tappet, tappet spring and nozzle but leave the gears in and screw it back together and use a small screwdriver to press in on both sides of the gears and check for side to side slop. This will also indicate the tension on the self-shimming springs and moving forwards, allow you to make an informed decision.
i will give it a try, i was at a game the other day, some peoples guns was making pop sounds when they shoot and could barely hear the motor, is that the result of a good shim or is it from like a sound amp?
HaruHaruXD is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications