Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tapping an outer barrel, Help please

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old September 21st, 2018, 17:08   #1
paulwes83

Tapping an outer barrel, Help please

Hi all,

Does anybody do or know of someone who can do an inner 14mm cc thread on the inside of a barrel?

I'm looking to merry up an LCT steel outer barrel to a WE Tech AKS-74U barrel so that I can have a full steel WE Tech AK with LCT parts. (yes, I know you can just get a GHK, but I needs me the full travel bolt)

I have a tap and thread set, but I can't seem to tap the outer barrel because the internal diameter won't allow the tap to fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care

Last edited by paulwes83; December 30th, 2018 at 10:52..
paulwes83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 19:00   #2
cetane

If you just want to tap the inner barrel yourself, drill the inner size from the 8.5-9.0mm that it is to 1/2” (12.7mm). A M14x1.0 requires a bore size of 13mm for threading. 12.7mm of a 1/2” drill size is close enough.

No guarantee you’ll get the hole tapped dead straight by hand. I make threads in a lathe and chase them with a tap to ensure they’ll thread onto a male M14x1.0 if I’m doing an internal bore.
cetane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 19:09   #3
paulwes83

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetane View Post
If you just want to tap the inner barrel yourself, drill the inner size from the 8.5-9.0mm that it is to 1/2” (12.7mm). A M14x1.0 requires a bore size of 13mm for threading. 12.7mm of a 1/2” drill size is close enough.

No guarantee you’ll get the hole tapped dead straight by hand. I make threads in a lathe and chase them with a tap to ensure they’ll thread onto a male M14x1.0 if I’m doing an internal bore.
Thanks man. I don't have access to a lathe, but I did see a video where they used a drill press and just hand cranked the tap to make the threads. That'll probably be the most precise way of doing it.

Thank you very much for the sizes though, that's a big help as I don't have those. I was really unsure of the sizing.

Thank you

Last edited by paulwes83; December 30th, 2018 at 10:53..
Old September 21st, 2018, 22:33   #4
Full-Auto-Seer

I don't wanna be a wet blanket here, but there's full-travel upgrade kits for the GHK AKs... From W&S Airsoft.
Old September 21st, 2018, 22:47   #5
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

If you want to ruin your GHK AK its a great kit. There have been pictures of metal shavings and damage around for a while now. If you want full travel, stick with WE.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 10:24   #6
paulwes83

Yeah, I'm not looking to drop more cash in picking up a GHK, plus they weren't designed to be full travel even if there are kits now.

I have mags, the Ra-tech internals installed and custom fit LCT externals on to the WE Tech so that it's full steel, save the internal part of the outer barrel, so to abandon it all now would be a HUGE waste of money.

Thank you all for the input though
Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:39   #7
Full-Auto-Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post
If you want to ruin your GHK AK its a great kit. There have been pictures of metal shavings and damage around for a while now. If you want full travel, stick with WE.
Mine's been running fine, even on CO2. Granted, I can't say anything about the version 1 kit. Which I think is the one that was eating bolt carriers.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 20:36   #8
AirsoftAntics

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwes83 View Post
Hi all,

Does anybody do or know of someone who can do an inner 14mm cc thread on the inside of a barrel?

I'm looking to merry up an LCT steel outer barrel to a WE Tech AKS-74U barrel so that I can have a full steel WE Tech AK with LCT parts. (yes, I know you can just get a GHK, but I needs me the full travel bolt)

I have a tap and thread set, but I can't seem to tap the outer barrel because the internal diameter won't allow the tap to fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care
Hello, did you still need help with this?
AirsoftAntics is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications