Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Soldering??

:

General

Old March 5th, 2013, 21:10   #16
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

http://www.bernzomatic.com/item.html?id=43
thats the torch/iron im using its definately not designed for anything more then emergencey use id say.
i did manage to get the last cpl done beter then the first ones by letting the torch burn through almost a whole tank of gas then topped it off and started to solder,
i was able to heat the deans enough to melt the solder in 20-30 secconds, much beter then it was i was from the begining tinning both the wire and the deans,
i found with this crappy torch that tinning only the deans and actually loading a decent blob of solder on to it the heating the wire a bit, fluxing it and then holding it onto the glob while reheating the deans from the underside(the oposite side from where i was attaching) i was able to get the flux to "pull" the glob off of the deans into the wire making a decent looking joint
(much beter then the first ones lol) still not ideal and definately not how i remembered it in school, back then it was almost simple touch pull trigger 1 2 3 tin repeat on wire touch two bits together iron pull trigger 1 2 3 hit it with the solder blamo done.
this is how it should be right im not dreaming lol.
next tool will be a half decent soldering iron i know ill need it in the future for batteries and at least one more merf install (gonna do the "advanced" install in my AKM when it comes seein as i wont have to crack the gearbox open to get at the trigger contacts)

Yeah Trev id be down to come soak up some knowlage from the more technically inclined.
im sure i can do a gearbox but the first one i tryed didnt work, tho i think it was an issue with the shell itself not me lol.
just ever scince that i havent been able to convince myself to open a working bearbox( the other one had cracked and i got a cheap shell to try n rebuild but it couldnt cycle no matter how well it seemed to be shimmed)

sry guys i know my blabbery is hard to read sometimes english wasnt my strong suit in school lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 21:27   #17
Trev140_0

The knowledge floating round he is scarry. I am for sure going to put on an event one day in the near future like I mentioned.

Meet at a hotel or somewhere. Everyone tosses in $20 bucks and have a full on pass on session.

I have enough scrapped gear boxes along with a lot of the others members of Hill437, I am sure we can do a day.

Maybe get someone from Airsoft Parts or Mach1 in on it.

Like a spring tune up session.

Will see.

"....Your life is ending one minute at a time..."

Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 21:40   #18
coach
aka coachster

People should learn how to solder copper pipe to fully understand how to solder wire. lol
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 22:03   #19
chaz

Just use this --> No Heat Solder

No? I mean, its no heat! A monkey could do it.... I kid I kid.
I am actually doing soldering right now on a power adapter for my sons in car DVD player.
Soldering is easy.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 22:14   #20
cetane

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
People should learn how to solder copper pipe to fully understand how to solder wire. lol
copper pipe is easy to sweat together as long as it is 1" or smaller & clean/dry. above that it gets harder. 3" copper is no fun at all
cetane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 22:21   #21
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

yeah i never had any issue soldering pipes, clean it dry it flux it torch it hit it with the solder, re plumbed my whole cottage with the help of the local plumber back when i was 15 never had a leak till i was 25 (when we sold the place) really it is just my tools here that caused the issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 22:53   #22
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetane View Post
copper pipe is easy to sweat together as long as it is 1" or smaller & clean/dry. above that it gets harder. 3" copper is no fun at all
Yup. That is what I was getting at. The bigger pipes are tougher
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:20   #23
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

When dealing with any short wires or electronics, a soldering gun does the job faster and more direct. You can use an iron of course, as long as you can quickly set your bead, and draw your line or seal (I agree with 5 seconds), ideally you'll want to draw any line or seal before your solder even sets up.

If you properly use your flux and an soldering gun, you shouldn't be able to remove you solder with a paring knife, after one shot. Immediate set with almost no heat transfer.
Old March 8th, 2013, 16:11   #24
JDoorn

http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread....ans+connectors
Here's a great sticky about soldering onto deans...
JDoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General