Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Did replica laws change recently?

:

Newbie Tank

Closed Thread

Old May 20th, 2013, 13:19   #1
coghlan

Did replica laws change recently?

I was just in a dept store in Ottawa and noticed that about half the airsoft pistols in the case were BLACK. This was at a major retailer.

Has the law regarding replica guns being illegal changed recently?
Old May 20th, 2013, 13:38   #2
redzaku

if it shoots 366 FPS or higher, then it is classified as uncontrolled firearms, i think...
За Родину!
BRRRRRT!
Old May 20th, 2013, 13:51   #3
redneck12

Yes the laws were changed abit in our favour over a year ago, all the info you need is in the Age Restricted thread.
Old May 20th, 2013, 14:14   #4
MultipleParadox

Quote:
Originally Posted by coghlan View Post
I was just in a dept store in Ottawa and noticed that about half the airsoft pistols in the case were BLACK. This was at a major retailer.

Has the law regarding replica guns being illegal changed recently?
You would have spent 10seconds doing a search and you would have had all the info you want; there's already tens of thread on the subject...

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
Old May 20th, 2013, 16:33   #5
Shatter

Send a message via MSN to Shatter
The laws themselves haven't changed; Parliament hasn't passed any bills and the Supreme Court hasn't ruled on anything relevant to importing airsoft guns.

What has changed is CBSA's interpretation of what makes an "uncontrolled" firearm.
Old May 20th, 2013, 22:01   #6
coghlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultipleParadox View Post
You would have spent 10seconds doing a search and you would have had all the info you want; there's already tens of thread on the subject...
I searched quite a few forums here, looking for "black", "cbsa".

Actually had better luck with Google, where there was something about uncontrolled firearms, but not enough info to explain why all the black guns have suddenly appeared in at least one major retailer.
Old May 20th, 2013, 22:15   #7
coghlan

Not replica if 366 < FPS < 406???

Call me crazy, but, the whole point of not allowing replica (unless clear) guns is so that police don't confuse them with real guns.

Exactly what does making an exception for black coloured guns that shoot between 366 and 406 FPS achieve????? It renders the whole replica ban useless.

If the intent is to allow guns that look real, perhaps the US orange-tip model is the way we should go.
Old May 20th, 2013, 22:26   #8
MultipleParadox

Dude seriously; literaly ALL the info you want/need is on here; no need to ask a single question; now I can't see if you are age verified or not (I'm using tapatalk on Iphone at the moment and don't have that info), and possibly that most of this info is in the age verified section... But still, if you dig a bi you'll get to what you want;

That said; it has nothing to do a about cops and/or confusion of real/toy guns; it's just about importation regulation. Politics. Nothing else. Replicas are prohibited because of some old precedent. Guns are not because of some other laws. They need to define which is which and then an importation/ownership law is born.

You can also read the docs on the rcmp's site; it's actually easy to find and understand

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
Old May 20th, 2013, 22:29   #9
kaiu

Quote:
Call me crazy, but, the whole point of not allowing replica (unless clear) guns is so that police don't confuse them with real guns.

Exactly what does making an exception for black coloured guns that shoot between 366 and 406 FPS achieve????? It renders the whole replica ban useless.

If the intent is to allow guns that look real, perhaps the US orange-tip model is the way we should go.
As someone mentioned, nothing has changed, and *black-coloured* guns has always been available...

Thank god we aren't a full-fledged nanny state where orange-tipped guns are required.
Old May 20th, 2013, 22:38   #10
HackD

Quote:

Call me crazy, but don't wake up a sleeping bureaucracy.

The category that we fall in is 366fps-5**(?) as far as import legality goes.

The old limit was 407fps-5**(?).

Clearsoft and Cansoft is odoriferous.

A red ring around the muzzle is silly. What stops the bad guy from painting that in about 2 minutes flat, or snapping it off in about 20 seconds flat with a set of pliers.

Neon panel colors like used in UK, complete with licensing scheme. Yeah, more Government BS and taxation. Just what we need.

If these are used for nefarious purposes, and the individual is caught, then treat it as a real weapon in the commission of the offense. That is how the victim perceives it, and that is how it should be legally dealt with.

Act stupid with your 'toy', risk getting it taken away as a stupid tax. Possibly at gun-point.

Just leave the rest of us alone to the continued legal ability for responsible use of our 'replicas', please.

The world already has too many Bubble-wrap Soccer-Moms loose..
Old May 20th, 2013, 22:43   #11
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Why is this conversation happening in the newbie tank.

OP all the threads you're looking for (and there are many of them) are in the Age of Majority section. You can't find them because you're not AV'd.
Old May 20th, 2013, 22:49   #12
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
Quote:

do me a favour, read through the firearms laws and find me ONE that makes a lick of sense

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank