Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

CA m24 handle help

:

Doctor's Corner

Old August 24th, 2012, 18:06   #1
Biowipe

CA m24 handle help

So today I changed everything inside my M24, and installed Laylax cylinder and handle. But now have a very annoying problem: I can pull the handle just fine but when it comes back it does not go all the way in (AND IT IS NOT with an empty magazine. I also made sure the hopup screws are not in the way). The only way i can make it go all the way in, is IF while the handle is all the way back, I pull it down (as if it was in the initial position) which seems to push the cylinder a bit to the right; after that i can pull the handle back up and all the way back in.

It is obvious that something gets misaligned (pushed to the left) when the bolt is pulled but I just cant find what it is. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

After playing around some more here are few observations:
The situation repeats 100% of time when the reloading is done with the rifle pointing up
The situation repeats 5% of time when the reloading is done with the rifle in horizontal position
The situation repeats 25% of time when the reloading is done with the rifle pointing down

Now I have no idea at all whats going on

Last edited by Biowipe; August 24th, 2012 at 19:12.. Reason: Added info
Biowipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 21:26   #2
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Do you see any play with the barrel assembly and the stock? Like if you pull and tug on the barrel, if the whole thing move in the stock?

Is your safety lever removed on the original trigger?

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 21:42   #3
Biowipe

I just rechecked and the assembly is rock solid and all the bolts are tight.

I still have the safety lever.

When the situation occurs and I pull the handle down (and cylinder) I can see it making a slight turn to the right) so there is a bit of play in the cylinder/handle.
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:48   #4
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Sounds like Fox may have to check it out for you.

BTW, remove the safety lever and the associated pin in the trigger assembly, one, it's a useless and dangerous safety; two, it makes for a very difficult trigger pull with heavier springs.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 18:25   #5
Biowipe

And speaking of springs is it normal that with all the internals changed, it is easier to pull the spring and its quieter too? (I have the 130 spring now, not sure what the stock spring was)
Old August 25th, 2012, 18:36   #6
o2slick

I just changed everything in my Ca m24 as well. I had similar problem, but not as often as you. Probably once in a while. I have the advance cylinder with a spring swap. Look like the cylinder head is a bit bigger than the usual one so when every i push back i had to push harder. So I used fine sanding paper to make the cylinder head smooth and it work well now.
Oh yea and I have the PDI hopup . The stock hopup chamber hole is obviously a little bit bigger than the PDI one since I did not have this problem with the stock chamber.
Old August 25th, 2012, 19:09   #7
Biowipe

I also have the PDI hop up. I just find it very weird that it happens depending on the angle of the rifle. If it was the cylinder head, wouldn't it do it every time since no matter the angle the hole stays the same? But Ill definitely check the cylinder head as per your suggestion. Thanks
Old August 30th, 2012, 19:32   #8
Biowipe

Found the problem: the front trigger screw is stripped, and when it moves a bit, it prevents the bolt from going all the way in. I guess now retapping is in order.

For anyone who done it, what size of screw did you replace it with?

Thanks
Old August 30th, 2012, 21:30   #9
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Drill out and have a machinist install a helicoil in it's place. Now, you are talking about the screw in front of the fake mag area, not the trigger assembly front screw (it has steel threads in stalled already), right? I think I put in #10-32 helicoils in mine, front and back, as well as Fox_111's when I reinforced his M24 years ago. Don't bother just tapping the threads into the receiver, they will easily pull out again after a short time, get the steel threaded helicoils in there and never worry about it again.
Old August 30th, 2012, 22:14   #10
Biowipe

I was talking about the trigger assembly front screw (the small one), although the other one (in front of the fake mag) is also stripped (I found a temp solution but ill try to go with a helicoil as per your suggestion)

But what about the trigger assembly, can I do the same thing there? Or something else?
Old August 31st, 2012, 12:53   #11
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

You can do that too, but you may find it already has a steel threaded insert in there. You are talking about the screw itself, not the insert, right? If so, I think it's a metric screw, fairly easy to replace with a metric cap screw.
Old August 31st, 2012, 15:28   #12
Biowipe

Problems problems and more problems with the screws. Gotta love that M24.
In the process of fixing the above mentioned screw problem, I now have the new screw broken and stuck in the small square part through which the front trigger screw is connected to the barrel. On top of that, the the insert is also barely alive (top threads don't have any grip on them but the lower part is not stripped...yet).

The only good thing is that I definitely identified the original problem with the bolt; all is left to do now is to figure out how to get the broken screw out of that part or find the replacement part without having to order the entire trigger assembly.

Is there a way to secure the front part of the trigger somehow without that screw (epoxy maybe?) Cause right now the only thing holding it is the rear screw. The front part moves a bit side to side (and that what creates the bolt problem. When the front of the trigger assembly is aligned, all is perfect); so I just have to keep is straight somehow.

And on top of THAT, the insert for the screw that secures the hopup is also stripped. Although its not a problem as its not going anywhere anyways and it much easier to align the hopup with the magazine this way.

I really hopped that all the screw/insert stripping problems were solved with the later versions of M24, I guess not.
Old August 31st, 2012, 15:41   #13
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Ya, sounds like they added different issues! Lol

In my trigger assembly, the block that the screws pass through to secure to the receiver have slightly slotted holes (I recall, been years since I looked at it), so don't understand how you jammed a screw in there. Also, related to that, you can't permanently fix the assembly to the receiver, you need to get things apart to clean and regrease your piston/cylinder, etc.

Hop up securing screw is a common problem, again, helicoil and larger more common screws, I put in a #8-32 set screw in place of that one.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner