Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Dollar store safey glasses? seems legit

:

Gear Discussion

Old July 29th, 2012, 15:11   #16
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

I have no problem with these. Personally lets say like at Op rhino. At American FOL we where behind shelter and away from contact this would be great cause you still require eye pro and you can have them on while not in combat.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 16:13   #17
talon

from what I've heard, dollaramas will pick up last batches of products, etc, stuff like that on the cheap, and sell it for a dollar. so the question becomes "where the hell did they get that?" It COULD be a good catch, but you just don't know if that's a Chinese label, or if it is just some company selling glasses that went under and dollarama picked up their remaining stock.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 16:31   #18
SINN

Send a message via MSN to SINN
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
from what I've heard, dollaramas will pick up last batches of products, etc, stuff like that on the cheap, and sell it for a dollar. so the question becomes "where the hell did they get that?" It COULD be a good catch, but you just don't know if that's a Chinese label, or if it is just some company selling glasses that went under and dollarama picked up their remaining stock.
exactly talon!!

and..since you shot those ones up, you better buy a new pair of you plan on wearing them.
Old July 29th, 2012, 19:07   #19
Dimitri
Can't do math

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0M View Post
so Im in dollarama, and I notice they started selling $3 items now, and one of those is these safety glasses.
Safety glasses are cheap your getting ripped off when buying at $3.00 per pair. I know I know, your used to Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Rona etc prices, at $10.00 per pair, but all big box stores have insane mark ups on their products regardless if you think otherwise (such as the sob story of small retail stores "competing" with Walmart).

The ones that companies provide in the bulk boxes cost as low as a dollar per pair for the simple clear plastic ones. Tinted ones come in at about 50 cents more. And as we all know the employer given out ones are fully ANSI and CSA certified too.

But Fox is right ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
Safety equipements need to be bought from legetimate companies.
Dimitri
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 19:16   #20
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
PB goggles tend to be low rated on the scale, and if like me, find they have all kinds of unsafe gaps around them (beside the nose as one, beneath the strap as another...... try to sight down a bolt action properly and they get shoved aside because they are so bulky), is why I only wear good tinted safety glasses or my Bolle 800s...... can't trust anything else, least of all PB goggles.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 19:24   #21
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINN View Post
exactly talon!!

and..since you shot those ones up, you better buy a new pair of you plan on wearing them.
Ditto. Replace them after shooting at them. You can't guarantee that you didn't compromise them.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 19:26   #22
BennyBoy

average retail mark ups is 30% but really they can range from -20% to 300% mark up
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 19:44   #23
CR0M

oh for sure, I go through alot of goggles for the same reason that I dont keep them after 1 or 2 shots...

I gamed once or twice with glasses, then read the worst injury ever thread, got paranoid and havent worn anything besides goggles.

I wear safety glasses every day at work and toss them all the time, why not they are free at work.
Old July 29th, 2012, 22:13   #24
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

ANSI rated is ANSI rated is ANSI rated
Chinese companies can and do fake the symbol on it, but good on you for testing it first!
If they survive a 470fps shot from 2 inches away, they're safe to use on the field.
BUT that being said, not every single one of those glasses may be up to spec. When you buy a $60 pair of safety glasses, the glasses themselves are maybe $20, the R&D is $10, and there's a $30 guarantee that those glasses are going to protect you when you need it.

And nothing is free. The money for those free safety glasses comes from the same account your paycheck comes out of.
Those "disposable" safety glasses are anything but. I just did this math at my job.
You go through a 3$ pair of glasses every week, that's $156 a year.
My ESS glasses I wear at work cost me no more than $90 a year.
Let's say 40 people throw away a pair of disposable safety glasses every week, that now costs the company $6240 a year

High quality is far more cost effective when it comes to PPE
And I know for a fact that my ESS lenses, without any stress cracks(that's why I don't wear ICE anymore), can be riddled with 500fps fire and not crack.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 22:47   #25
Dimitri
Can't do math

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
You go through a 3$ pair of glasses every week, that's $156 a year.
If your company is spending $3 per pair on safety glasses and people are replacing them on a weekly basis, they are getting double screwed.

Also, for liability purposes, any kind of scratch, dent, or otherwise on your glasses, and they must be thrown out, hence disposable pairs. Many liability insurance coverages for shops have strict policies on it.

Even a slightly hot metal chip touching and deforming the lens due to heat transfer just enough you can see it means they won't cover the employer or the employee if they were wearing that pair when a accident occurred if they investigate. Any visible damage to the lenses is grounds to throw them out and get a new pair.

Dimitri
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 22:53   #26
EdisLeado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0M View Post
hey hey relax, read the thread, Ive already stated im a goggles type of guy.

The questions now are,

are these actual ansi cert glasses? or are these repros? knock offs?
is dollarama reputable enough to sell legitimate safety glasses?

my thing is this, say these are knock offs, I lose an eye, is dollarama liable?

Personally I dont think these are knock offs... I just finished unloading a full mag (90-100 ish bbs) on these things, my sig is shooting 400fps right now. In this video I was using .25 bastards ... and the glasses held up flawlessly

http://youtu.be/eI4_cGlxkjU
There are quite a few "safety glasses" for sale out there that are cheap and obviously won't hold up - like the ACM glasses that another member here mentioned - and those are the ones people are concerned about.

If these things hold up to the test (and if they have a genuine ANSI rating), I'd say they'd be fine for the field. But hopefully you'll keep those tests of your own going and seeing how long these'll last. Thanks for posting about this, I might actually pick up a pair or two and run some tests on them myself.

Last edited by EdisLeado; July 29th, 2012 at 22:59..
EdisLeado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:53   #27
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I just remembered the classic army goggles that fog as soon as you take them out of the box lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion