Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

AXIS UNIT 9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen

:

WW1, WW2

Old July 16th, 2012, 14:21   #1
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

AXIS UNIT 9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen

There is a new AXIS unit recently formed under the Ontario WWII Re-Enactors.

If you are interested in getting involved in WWII Reenacting, and are interested in developing a German Impression, PM me or click on the link below and complete the application form.

We can help you get started and will offer training and mentoring.

JOIN HERE
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite

Last edited by Brian McIlmoyle; August 27th, 2018 at 11:14..
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 15:10   #2
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Training Event coming up

great time to meet the other members and come check out WWII airsoft

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=144353

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old September 11th, 2012, 00:30   #3
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

More training on the way..

don't miss out.. Join up now!

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old September 11th, 2012, 10:09   #4
COL.TIKER

Guys, this is the unit to join. The commanding officer is very dedicated. Expect to see a training event/game with this unit every month.

Training events are not mandatory, but they range from patrols to fighting with entrenching tools!
Old September 18th, 2012, 18:40   #5
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

We are always recruiting!

Send me a PM if interested!

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old September 18th, 2012, 19:30   #6
Fuji

We are just starting to get in to period training and tactics. We have an excellent teacher . Brian has invested in some period training manuals for our group.

Here's an idea of what's coming up

http://ontarioairsoftwwiireenactors....pic.php?t=1622

http://ontarioairsoftwwiireenactors....pic.php?t=1621

Last edited by Fuji; September 18th, 2012 at 19:35..
Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 19:38   #7
COL.TIKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Skeletor- View Post
Sorry if this is off topic, but wondering if you guys will train in 1940's era German battle drills/tactics, etc ?
Yes, Brian is teaching out of the field manuals of those days.
Old September 18th, 2012, 23:29   #8
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Skeletor- View Post
Sorry if this is off topic, but wondering if you guys will train in 1940's era German battle drills/tactics, etc ?
Yes absolutely, including close combat techniques. We have already had two training exercises, and we will have many more.

I have built quite an extensive library of German training manuals.

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old December 5th, 2012, 15:42   #9
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Come see us at the garrison night in Toronto, this Friday at 8:00 pm 927 Dupont st 2 nd floor

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old January 30th, 2013, 11:39   #10
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

tired of the "regular" airsoft Scene?

looking for a more mature and "serious" group of players to play with?

Look no further!

Looking for new members,

if you are interested in WWII Re-enacting on the AXIS side. Drop me a PM and I can help you get started

the unit is growing.. and building up for the 2013 season.

Big things coming.. Lots of Training coming!

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old March 1st, 2013, 16:57   #11
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

2012 after action-

the 1st year of Hohenstaufen is over and we are 2 month in to our second year

the unit grew a bit in 2012, we now have a solid core of members, lots of room for more.

2012 was pretty active, we had a event pretty well every month, between training events and Battle Sims , couple with a few in Garrison events and some Living History events it was a busy year.

I'm committed to continuing to grow the unit this year hoping to get close to Platoon strength for operation Woodsman in September, we have a ways to go.

But if you are interested in Joining an active and growing WWII re-enactment unit on the AXIS side, please contact me directly.

There are lots of great events coming up in 2013,

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old March 24th, 2013, 18:22   #12
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Season opening Game at Rockwood, April.. DATE TBA soon.

interested in WWII airsoft Reenactment?

Contact me and we can get you sorted out for your first game.

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old May 21st, 2013, 17:45   #13
Forever_kaos

Recruitment thread is up!

Check it out;
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=132361
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 15:49   #14
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Gentlemen,

it has been just over 1 year since the founding of the unit. At this time I want to offer an overview of our progress.

Growth, has been slow, as expected I believe that over the next year we will see continued growth but slowly.

Unit development, everone's impressions have matured over the past year, with greater depth of uniforms and equipment.

Training: we have done quite a number of training events which have generally been well attended training goals are being met, we have a ways to go to get to standards.

Events: Foy in March? was attended by a full squad ( not all 9thss ) but the unit was under 9ss command and performed very well.

Blindside II - again we had in excess of a squad in attendance , again not all 9th SS but again under 9th command. The unit , and in particular the members of the 9th excelled.

Our Major training event OP Sharp Hatchet is coming up in about a week, I encourage all unit members to make it out, and to , if they can bring a interested buddy

Promotions: unit promotions will be posted after Sharp Hatchet, Criteria for promotion is in our establishing document at the head of this thread.

Future: Goals for this year ( year running from June 15 through to june 15 ) are continued growth with recruiting to build to a solid squad , and then to begin development of a second squad.

Training goals: to build familiarization with Basic German Language Commands and Battlefield communication. To continue to work on Squad tactical basics. More close combat training

Events: I will continue to strive to sponsor or host regular events as close to monthly as possible. OP Woodsman obviously will be our major fall event.

General: I have had a great time at every event, regardless of how many people show up or what we are doing, you are all a great group of guys ,and I'm proud of this unit and each and every menber of it.
9th SS Panzer Division (Hohenstaufen)

Wenn die Zunge wie ein Schwert schneiden konnten die Toten wäre unendlich

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old July 30th, 2013, 15:09   #15
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

9 ss , position on FARB, and expectations on joining

Farb, (reenactment)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Farb is a derogatory term used in the hobby of historical reenacting in reference to participants who are perceived to exhibit indifference to historical authenticity, either from a material-cultural standpoint or in action. It can also refer to the inauthentic materials used by those reenactors.

Also called "polyester soldiers,"[1] farbs are reenactors who spend relatively little of their time or money maintaining authenticity with regard to uniforms, accessories, objects or period behavior. The 'Good Enough' attitude is pervasive among farbs, although even casual observers may be able to point out flaws.

Farbiness is dependent upon context as well as expectations and is somewhat subjective. For example, while a "mainstream" reenactor might accept an object that looks right from a spectator perspective, a "progressive" or "hard core" reenactor might consider the object to be farby if it's not made in a historically accurate manner.

let me just say, I hate the term FARB.. I dislike how it used by some people as a sneering way to make themselves feel better about themselves. ( this applies to persons in the wider reenactment community online, not to anyone here or related to us)
Personally I'd prefer that we abolish the term within our communications between us and others.

As a reenactment unit, we have a commitment to achieve a high level of authenticity in our impressions.

We are trying as much as is practical and possible to step into the shoes of a member of our chosen unit. Both in the physical representation of our personal kit and equipment and in our behavior and mind set.

There are of course practical limits to this goal. Not everyone has the resources to step onto the filed in a fully fleshed out impression, They have to build it up over time. Others may have a differing motivation to their participation and be more concerned with the tactical elements of our activities vs the "living History" elements. We need to address all of these motivations.

Building up over time is the expected process. My expectation is from the time that a person expresses interest in joining the unit and they are ready to enter the field with a solid fieldable impression.. 6 months will elapse.. and they will have attended at least 3 events with a "work in progress" impression. Certainly some people will advance faster than this, but persons who advance slower, calls into question their motivations, and commitment to our goals.

During this time we as a unit will have assisted this person in gathering their gear, we may have even lent or donated to them some gear we no longer use. We must also instill in them that within the unit there is an expectation that people will strive towards the most authentic impression they can create, with the assurances that we are and remain an active "fighting" unit, not a showpiece.

As a guideline for all members, and prospective members let me lay out what is necessary to embark on becoming a unit member.

1, desire and engagement in our goals. We are NOT "airsofters" we are not defined by our chosen tools. This is a reenactment unit.

2. commitment to develop a field effective personal impression within 6 months of joining the unit as a recruit composed of .
period appropriate weapon- new recruits should not expect to serve as anything other than a rifleman at first an appropriate weapon is a K98 or a STG44.
Basic uniform - Dot44 HBT, Service shirt, belt/suspenders, low boots, Gaiters, equipment belt, Breadbag, Canteen, Steel helmet. ( you need none of this to join, but you need to start getting it right away)

3, commitment to acquire, Ammunition pouches, bayonet, Y-straps, Mess tin, Gas mask canister, and entrenching tool, Camouflage smock, and soft cap before they are promoted from "recruit" to Schütze

4. additional equipment, Assault pack, and pack bag, Oakleaf pattern Zeltbahn, Ezbit stove, Wool blanket, Gloves, Scarf,
Wool service uniform, for use in colder weather events.

5.Cold weather gear, insulated coat, fall side oakleaf pattern, pants, greatcoat, for participation in cold weather events ( we operate year round)

6.Camp impression items....if the member so chooses

The above is a long list, but it come together quickly, and keep in mind that many people take a couple of years to get down to the items in #5 above.

In all cases there are substantial consultation resources available within and associated with this unit, you should ask questions about items you intend to get and check regarding the quality of various suppliers so that you can know what to expect when you buy. Some suppliers are not concerned with quality or authenticity, and a lot of money can be wasted on items that you will end up wanting to replace. it's always better to save up and buy the good quality items first, they serve better and longer and make a better impression than poorer quality items. All purchases have to be tempered with your available resources. Getting it right is important, but getting into the field is just as important.

overall, we do this as a hobby, for fun and enjoyment, and in respect to those who wore the uniforms in life and death, it's an odd mix to be certain, but I have found this to be a very rewarding experience, and am honoured to serve as the unit Officer Commanding.
9th SS Panzer Division (Hohenstaufen)

Wenn die Zunge wie ein Schwert schneiden konnten die Toten wäre unendlich

OPERATION WOODSMAN

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > WW1, WW2