Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Opinion on ghillie setup

:

Gear Discussion

Old December 4th, 2007, 22:01   #1
Buck

Opinion on ghillie setup

Hey guys just wanted some opinions of those out there that own ghillie suits, with all this cold weather I figure mise well keep busy and make one. My question is, what kind of setups are people running under their ghillie? My current setup is a M14, highcappa 5.1, using a CIRAS as well. I'm thinking the CIRAS won't work too well with the ghillie and wanted to see what other options were out there.
Thanks,

Last edited by Buck; December 4th, 2007 at 22:15..
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 22:12   #2
pugs144

If you're going to be crawling ditch the CIRAS, it'll add too much bulk. Go as low-profile as possible with your webbing. CIRAS was never meant to be used in a sniper role.
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 22:14   #3
Buck

Ya thats what I was thinking too. Too damn bulky, what do you roll with?
Old December 4th, 2007, 22:21   #4
syne

Send a message via MSN to syne
flecktarn.co.uk sells a really expensive sniper smock that you could build a ghille on.
Buy that!
syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 22:21   #5
Amos

Simple old Patter 82 webbing would work..

Snipers around here wear a simple belt with a small mag pouch on it..
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 22:30   #6
Dracheous
Lego Head

Couple others use this line, and I do to and find it works great under ghillie.

Eagle Universal Chest Rig
https://www.sealsactiongear.com/cata...?idProduct=428
HGSI Sniper Waist Pack
http://www.oneshottactical.com/merch...tegory_Code=PA
Good Drop leg holster
Camel-pack ((always have water, ghillies get hot)),
And a good drag bag for your rifle.

One thing I'll note about the Eagle rig, is that the pistol mag pouches were made with glocks in mind. If you use your hi-cappa with it ((I use one too)) you'll need to make extensions for the flaps, this is easy if you have a sewing machine. Just sew Velcro to another piece of webbing. I did it where I have velcro on both ends so that I can remove it and use the smaller mags as well and it holds great!

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!

Last edited by Dracheous; December 4th, 2007 at 22:32..
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 22:34   #7
Amos

I really dislike drop legs for crawling.. I find it's better to have something that's on your waist... If I could I'd put something on the kidney area.. But I can't find a good holster that fits nicely in that area..
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 22:42   #8
Dracheous
Lego Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
I really dislike drop legs for crawling.. I find it's better to have something that's on your waist... If I could I'd put something on the kidney area.. But I can't find a good holster that fits nicely in that area..
Pending on your gun, look into the Blackhawk Serpas, they have great waist mount holsters! I had one for my TM 1911 before I sold it, it worked great for that.

However I still prefer the drop leg, because over all you won't always be on the ground, sometimes you'll be stalking and moving around trying to make good time across a lot of terrain, when you don't have the time to crawl there and that happens a lot; its still airsoft and the day only lasts so long :P. Also I find it MUCH easier to get too when your prone, and when people are getting too close to shoot them with the sniper rifle its very much handy to be able to get to your pistol to dispense with them...

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 23:01   #9
lupo

HSGI suspenders a nice belt and a HSGI sniper waist pack. Get a size bigger BDU top then you need , sew a slot onto the inside for a camel back and sew or glue netting on the outside to attach burlap/jute or synthetic fibers. If you go the non bdu route just make sure its big enough to cover your gear. If you need to carry a pisol attach it to the belt on the hip or use a thigh holster with a flap. The things you NEED to carry are ammo , water , map , compass and the most important a radio!
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:07   #10
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupo View Post
HSGI suspenders a nice belt and a HSGI sniper waist pack. Get a size bigger BDU top then you need , sew a slot onto the inside for a camel back and sew or glue netting on the outside to attach burlap/jute or synthetic fibers. If you go the non bdu route just make sure its big enough to cover your gear. If you need to carry a pisol attach it to the belt on the hip or use a thigh holster with a flap. The things you NEED to carry are ammo , water , map , compass and the most important a radio!
And a gun!
Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:54   #11
DC_ACU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
And a gun!
+1
DC_ACU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:24   #12
pugs144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
And a gun!
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:15   #13
Bauholzwolf
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Bauholzwolf
Any cheap BDU jacket, oversized of course, will do the job for a ghillie setup. Glue/stitch your netting onto that and from there you can add your jute and vegetation.

As for what to roll with weapon-wise, thats really up to personal preference. If you're going to carry a side arm, have it on a drop leg holster. Army Surplus here on the boards has a really nice one that I've been eyeing myself:

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=12641

As for your primary weapon and carrying the ammunition it needs, that really depends on the role you'll be filling in the field. If you're more of a scout, then you can go light on the ammo and may not even need a vest or chest rig. What I'd personally do in a sniper role is get a good pistol belt (you need one anyway for your drop leg) and load up some mag pouches onto the side and back, so you can low-crawl and not have any serious snagging.

My $0.02.
Bauholzwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:28   #14
Buck

Ya I forgot to mention in my original post, but I would ideally like to have just some basic concealment for my backside (shoulders, head, waist, legs) and a gun wrap as well for when I am prone. Does anyone here use a ghillie that is not attached to any BDU. Ideally I would like to carry it in a utility pouch and just throw it on in certain situations where some sort of concealment would help (ex. defending ). The role I play in the squad will require me to make those long shots but at the same time keeping an aggresive pace with my squad. There is already a designated recon role --- so playing as a full out sniper is not something I plan on nor do i have the patience for, so there is no need for a full blown ghillie suit, just some type of wraps that I could carry on the field and use when necessary.
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:59   #15
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Just last week I started a new ghillie, no BDUs, just an 'open front parka style'. Woodland helmet cover for a hood, heavy fish net for the rest of it. Plan is something lighter that is easier to lug around, roll up inside out and sling it kinda thing. And unlike the full blown ghillie I made a few years ago, this one will be more brown than anything else.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion