Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Scope suggestions?

:

Accessories Discussion

Old January 16th, 2010, 17:50   #1
morati

Scope suggestions?

OK, so I've ordered my KWA M4 SR10 and I am going to need a scope for it. Based on its range and the type of games I'll be doin' (outdoor, forest) I am thinking a 4X magnification is gonna be the ticket. Any suggestions for a QUALITY scope? I'll go as high as $400 if need be....
morati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 18:06   #2
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Get real steel, Bushnell is great, some Tasco scopes are good too (I have one of each, mostly use my Tasco though), and get something 3-9x40 so you don't limit yourself for FOV or being able to zoom in if you need to. Zoom is for detail, not for range (ya, it's good for that too, but for airsoft it's helpful to be able to dial in close if you need to spot someone better at longer ranges).

Check out Marstar, they are near Ottawa and are mainly a mail order company for real steel guns and parts/accessories. They have lots of nice scopes for decent prices.

http://www.marstar.ca/ac-optics/index-l.shtm
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 18:09   #3
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Given the distances involved in airsoft, a scope is not needed. It comes in handy once in a while and makes your gun look cool. But do you need one? Nope.

You have the right idea for a 4x scope, anything more than that is just silly and unnecessary. You can get a decent quality ACOG replica, huang ACOGs are pretty good. I have one and its got decent eye relief and the clarity is pretty good. If you want a more traditional scope you can go for a Bushnell for the lower end of the price spectrum and still retain good quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/bushnell-sportsm...#ht_1208wt_958

Tasco makes some good scopes as well, same with Nikon, Pentax, Leapers, but the nicest, clearest and sturdiest scope I have seen is a Leopold. Those bastards are pricey though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 18:14   #4
morati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw View Post
Given the distances involved in airsoft, a scope is not needed. It comes in handy once in a while and makes your gun look cool. But do you need one? Nope.

You have the right idea for a 4x scope, anything more than that is just silly and unnecessary. You can get a decent quality ACOG replica, huang ACOGs are pretty good. I have one and its got decent eye relief and the clarity is pretty good. If you want a more traditional scope you can go for a Bushnell for the lower end of the price spectrum and still retain good quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/bushnell-sportsm...#ht_1208wt_958

Tasco makes some good scopes as well, same with Nikon, Pentax, Leapers, but the nicest, clearest and sturdiest scope I have seen is a Leopold. Those bastards are pricey though.
Yes, I am originally an Airgun guy and own Leupolds, Bushnells and Hawkes. I like the ACOG style and obvious benefits it has but $1000 is out of my price range. I agree, not needed for Airsoft either. I was looking at huangs clones but I bought a clone scope once and was VERY disappointed.
Old January 16th, 2010, 19:03   #5
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

All depends on usage, a scope on an airsoft gun in thick brush is a godsend because one can choose the clearest path between branches to be able to nail a guy with one shot. Great for spotting snipers too, as well as watching details far away. So a scope on an airsoft gun isn't silly, all depends on the gun, the shooter and what it's used for.

If you want an ACOG, should have mentioned that earlier, the clone scopes are a lot cheaper and some are pretty good quality.
Old January 16th, 2010, 20:27   #6
morati

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
All depends on usage, a scope on an airsoft gun in thick brush is a godsend because one can choose the clearest path between branches to be able to nail a guy with one shot. Great for spotting snipers too, as well as watching details far away. So a scope on an airsoft gun isn't silly, all depends on the gun, the shooter and what it's used for.

If you want an ACOG, should have mentioned that earlier, the clone scopes are a lot cheaper and some are pretty good quality.
Great which brands are good quality clones?
Old January 16th, 2010, 20:30   #7
Amos

I use a 1.5X-6X 30mm-tube Bushnell Trophy Gold on my VSR-10... I don't think I've ever shot anyone past 4X magnification.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 21:07   #8
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by morati View Post
Great which brands are good quality clones?
I don't know, I only use real steel scopes and RDS. :P
Old January 16th, 2010, 21:09   #9
morati

Thanks fellas.....I amy just end up with one of these
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell...e-730132p.html
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:23   #10
tunabreath

That's a red dot sight, not a scope. 1x magnification with a 32mm objective lens.
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:43   #11
morati

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabreath View Post
That's a red dot sight, not a scope. 1x magnification with a 32mm objective lens.
Yup, I know but its a Bushnell and that means decent glass. Just having a hard time trying to come to grips with the fact that I may not be able to afford a good 4X scope. I've still have some time to make my decision however so the search continues.....
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:11   #12
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

There are lots of 4x scopes that are cheaper than that Bushnell you were looking at. If you do get a 4x scope, get one with a 40mm lense, you'll have a bigger field of view and it'll be easier to use in low light since more light will be collected by the larger lense. Looks like most are 4x32, which will be fine for your M4, but check out the scopes on the marstar link I provided, you can get a nice compact Leapers 4x32 rubber armoured scope with illuminated mildot reticle for $49.99. LOTS of good scopes there, perfect for your price range and use. Most of their scopes are under $100.

PM Jackals on here about that Bushnell RDS you linked, he had one for a bit and sold it (not because it's crap, just because he sells everything within a few months and buys newer stuff).

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; January 17th, 2010 at 11:19..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion