Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Sniper rifle vs DMR

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old June 2nd, 2019, 13:50   #1
joshua3302

Sniper rifle vs DMR

Played airsoft a dozen times and I want to get into sniping but from what I read there is a lot of downside to it. Lots of airsoft fields don't have good areas to hide in and higher quality AEG m4's have the same range, so what is the point? With bolt action you get one shot off while your opponent gets a number of shots off. But using your sights to line up a perfect shot can feel more fulfilling than just a rapid spread of fire, so is the answer a DMI ?
If so, my local field allows 450 fps for DMI. Most higher AEG M4's come with 400 fps so an upgrade is necessary. Thinking of a Krytac spr MK2 with upgrades?
joshua3302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 21:43   #2
Drake
E-01

Unlike what Hollywood and videogames would have you believe, sniping isn't about the gun; it's about the skillset. Getting into a big firefight with a BA is a battle you will lose way more often than not. The sniper role is a game of stealth. Most of the serious players who play sniper roles don't use bolt actions because it has vastly superior range, they use em because they're quiet and because they're consistent from shot to shot (or they should be anyway).

Where airsoft is concerned, DMRs are largely BS. Unlike the real world where you'll have significant differences in energy and ballistics between a 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 round, in airsoft everyone is shooting more or less the same BBs and have the same FPS/energy restrictions.

So really just find a gun you like and work on making it more accurate. (see your other thread on DMRs)
Old June 3rd, 2019, 16:43   #3
Hiker_Boy

In my opinion the role of a sniper and the role of a DMR are similar but not the same. A sniper is about going out on recon missions designed to observe gather information and neutralize targets covertly. I see a DMR more as a squad support tool...someone who has a little more range to take out hostile targets who are engaged in fire fights with the squad. A DMR does not need to be as covert. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Hiker_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 19:34   #4
Drake
E-01

That's basically what i said. Except in airsoft, where everyone is using the same ammo and velocity/energy limits, "a little more range" comes down to making the gun more accurate. And with work most common guns can be made more accurate.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 20:25   #5
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

The most useful snipers also happen to be the CO's eyes. The sniper's most useful weapon is often his radio.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 21:52   #6
Hiker_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
That's basically what i said. Except in airsoft, where everyone is using the same ammo and velocity/energy limits, "a little more range" comes down to making the gun more accurate. And with work most common guns can be made more accurate.
While you can make any weapon better with upgrades, you have to admit that if everyone played different roles with the same looking weapon it would neither be immersive or very fun.

Old June 6th, 2019, 22:24   #7
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

There's a lot of disadvantages that are obvious.

But I've also held off waves of attackers with just one or two other AEG's while using a bolt action.
I can stop whole squads in their tracks because they're afraid to get hit.
I can convince a team to stop sending people in a certain direction because they keep getting shot over there.
I can defend a huge open area because of my range and accuracy.
I can single-shot people 300-350ft away who aren't using cover at all, or aren't covering the side open to me, just because they think because they're way out of range it means everyone else is.

I think being a recon sniper is very helpful to a milsim, where you can hide, be a ghost, and relay vital information to commanders.
But I spent $1200 on the gun, it's got better range and accuracy than most other guns on the field, so I want to be on the front line where the gun is going to make the biggest difference.

That being said, I still prefer an AEG for the sheer versatility it offers. And I respect that the ability to rack up dozens of kills at a scrim with a bolt action requires the accumulated skills of years of understanding a variety of concepts; from the physics of the gun itself, to how airsofters tend to react to different situations, knowing when to shoot at someone and when NOT to shoot at them, etc.

A bolt action can be a very powerful force multiplier, but it's not an easy tool to master.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 22:31   #8
joshua3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
There's a lot of disadvantages that are obvious.

But I've also held off waves of attackers with just one or two other AEG's while using a bolt action.
I can stop whole squads in their tracks because they're afraid to get hit.
I can convince a team to stop sending people in a certain direction because they keep getting shot over there.
I can defend a huge open area because of my range and accuracy.
I can single-shot people 300-350ft away who aren't using cover at all, or aren't covering the side open to me, just because they think because they're way out of range it means everyone else is.

I think being a recon sniper is very helpful to a milsim, where you can hide, be a ghost, and relay vital information to commanders.
But I spent $1200 on the gun, it's got better range and accuracy than most other guns on the field, so I want to be on the front line where the gun is going to make the biggest difference.

That being said, I still prefer an AEG for the sheer versatility it offers. And I respect that the ability to rack up dozens of kills at a scrim with a bolt action requires the accumulated skills of years of understanding a variety of concepts; from the physics of the gun itself, to how airsofters tend to react to different situations, knowing when to shoot at someone and when NOT to shoot at them, etc.

A bolt action can be a very powerful force multiplier, but it's not an easy tool to master.
Could you please tell hat gun you using with what upgrades ?
Thanks
Old June 7th, 2019, 10:08   #9
Swattiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua3302 View Post
Could you please tell hat gun you using with what upgrades ?
Thanks
+1. And the FPS of your gun ?
Swattiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 15:15   #10
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Piece of crap snow wolf M24 (srsly would not recommend it to anyone, I'm a machinist and I have done so many mods to it; custom teflon cylinder guide bushings, retapping holes for larger bolts that dont strip as easily, TDC, shims, etc, and the mags are just awful)
2.3j with .43s

If you want a bolt action, I HIGHLY recommend getting something VSR based
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 15:45   #11
Hiker_Boy

Running a SRS Silverback pretty much stock right now other than the M150 spring. I have a fast hopup and tight bore barrel on backorder. Right now I'm shooting 470 FPS with a .2 and I'm shooting a .4. Not sure what distance but it easily outranges my Krytac SPR.

Old June 10th, 2019, 09:17   #12
joshua3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker_Boy View Post
Running a SRS Silverback pretty much stock right now other than the M150 spring. I have a fast hopup and tight bore barrel on backorder. Right now I'm shooting 470 FPS with a .2 and I'm shooting a .4. Not sure what distance but it easily outranges my Krytac SPR.

Are you concerned with a heavier spring and the rest stock something will break soon? I been told that guns are manufactured to run at a certain fps and changing the spring puts too much stress on the gun so you have to upgrade trigger and cylinder etc to compensate?
Old June 10th, 2019, 09:23   #13
joshua3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua3302 View Post
Are you concerned with a heavier spring and the rest stock something will break soon? I been told that guns are manufactured to run at a certain fps and changing the spring puts too much stress on the gun so you have to upgrade trigger and cylinder etc to compensate?
Where did you buy your SRS Silverback? At Division XP or Evike?
Old June 10th, 2019, 09:35   #14
joshua3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker_Boy View Post

There is one video on youtube about the SRS claiming it can shoot 145 meters!
That's crazy? Maybe they had the fps at 700?
Old June 10th, 2019, 12:00   #15
Hiker_Boy

I bought my SRS at Division XP. Got no concerns about the spring strength. This gun can handle it. I have actually been thinking about going to a m160. Right now I need to work on making the gun quieter.

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion