Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ashamed.

:

General

Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:17   #1
Uberg33k

Ashamed.

That's the best word to describe what I saw yesterday. First off hello to everyone. I'm new to the world of Airsoft (The game) as well as new to this forum. I've been reading as much as I can to get a feel for the community as a whole. So far I'm pleased with my experience.

Last night however, not so much. I went to a local Airsoft store to purchase a couple of weapons. The clerk was amazing and nothing here bad about the store itself. What did shock me however was some of the clientele. As I walked in I was immediately 'sized up' by some ass-wipe standing tall brandishing a rather large hand canon (maybe making up for an inadequacy?), I ignored him and began talking to the clerk. After a few minutes in walks a band of brothers wearing full tactical gear, now when I say full I mean FULL. Minus actual weapons of course but still. They seemed to know hand canon guy go figure.

If that wasn't enough, they were loud and obnoxious to boot. It was clear from the paint stains on the one kids vest that they're from the paintball world but none-the-less they were there to purchase more patches showcasing their membership into their own clan I'm sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining because they simply wore their gear, but these dudes were down right rude to the clerk, rude to me (skipped the line) and I witnessed them making fun of a gentleman who was there with his girlfriend looking at a rifle, making fun racially.

I watched these buffoons and thought to myself; "Isn't this the exact sort of thing that brings a negative stigma to the hobby"? Anyone witnessing these morons would be turned off instantly. I know I was. Now I'm not totally ignorant to this and I do realize that more than likely this is an isolated incident, but I shutter to think that now that I've entered this world, I too may be painted as one of them instantly because isolated or not, it only takes one bad apple, or one bad experience to destroy a reputation. First impressions and all that jazz.

Lastly, I also want to point out that I overheard these guys talking about this forum, hence this post. Someone please chime in on the wearing of the kit outside of the game, is this common practice? Have you witnessed this behavior before? By the way they were young guys and I'm sure that factored in, if you're a young member don't take offense as I'm sure most of you are not like that. In the end I bought two new AEG's and left happy. I just wanted to post this in the hopes those guys would read it and maybe change their ways. Yeah I know, wishful thinking huh? lol Thanks for letting me rant guys. :salute:

Last edited by Uberg33k; February 2nd, 2013 at 08:28..
Uberg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:54   #2
Redneck Jimbo

The wearing of kit in public (my buddy went to the release of Battlefield 3 in full kit and was happly welcomed by the stores manager and customers) is genraly fround upon. many players will wear there combats (uniform not vest, holster, helmet exc.) to and from games just for the conveanince of it but when confronted by a "civi" they will tell them they just went or are going to an airsoft/paintball game. Depending on the proximity of the nearist paintball/airsoft arena some (most) players will walk over to buy new stuff with out taking off there kit. Iv done this sevrel times in Montreal at Action 500 but NO PAINTBALL MARKER WITH ME. The pro shop is next door.

The attitude those players had was dispicuble and yes it dose come up from time to time but in most cases its curbed in short time by the respective comunitys. We have "eliest" players in airsoft as well, I have been guilty of this my self in the past.
Dont let this insident spoile what is otherwise a grate comunity for you. get out to a game (provided your of acceptible age for your area) and meet the crowd and you will be plesntly supprised by the welcome you will get.
P.S. sorry for the shit spelling my first language is english, I just suck at it and theres no changing it.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:55   #3
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Most of the members here do not wear full gear outside of game, some members here are either current or retired LE or Military, some are from other walks of life. the two things that we all have in common are love of airsoft and hate for douche bags, There are ups and downs through out airsoft history in my time (since 89) and these times are the downs, with all the new players and easy acces to airsoft compared to the old days, douchebaggery level has increase to the level where some older members have simply walk away. Unfortunately most new players now have the tendency to run before they learn to walk.

Ultimately it's up to the new players to dictate where they want airsoft to go next, most of us prefer the quiet unknown stature of airsoft of the old where it's just a simple game between friends and like minded individuals with simple rules in and out of game, no politics, douchebaggery and other bullshit that exist now.

Last edited by wildcard; February 2nd, 2013 at 09:00..
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:01   #4
pugs144

A wise man once said, "The problem with airsoft is airsofters." Lol.
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:23   #5
Uberg33k

Thanks for your replies guys. I do know that these ass-clowns don't represent the community as a whole. I guess I was just shocked at the blatant disregard for their hobby. We had guys like that join the Royals, it was always funny to see the very few that would make it through BMQ. We'd even have side wagers on the guys we felt would drop out. Most of the time they would do just that. But every so often someone would surprise us and make it. The funniest thing also is that individual almost always ended up being the most stout of soldiers. I don't know, it just bugged me. Walking around in all black BDU, vest with "SWAT" plastered on it. I actually did a double take when they first walked in.

The attitude extends to store clerks as well. I went to purchase a weapon at a different place the other day and I was treated like an FNG which pissed me off. Won't get into it, but nothing is more irritating than some guy fresh out of high school that claimed to have never fired real steel lecture you on how "I'd get pwned" <----- Yes he used pwned. lol By him and his "Posse." <------ Yup. lmao! But I digress. :P

Last edited by Uberg33k; February 2nd, 2013 at 09:26..
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:30   #6
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

I hope said store was also an indoor field otherwise thats prety lame. I do wear bdu pants often but not with the top too lol least not scince i was a kid.
Tho now that AS is more mainstream u sill see more morons unfotuneatly.
I assure u tho most of us are not like those guys u seen yes we will poke fun at our buddys we play with regularly but we are prety friendly to the newcomers and definately wont judge folks or make racial slurs and the like.
Once u get out to a game u will get a beter idea of how the community is as a whole.
Welcome to asc and welcome to AS hope to see u soon and put your concerns to rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:42   #7
Uberg33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
I hope said store was also an indoor field otherwise thats prety lame.
No sir it was not. So yes, very very lame. lol It was the swagger also. Very; "look at me I'm SWAT." Terrible.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:04   #8
L473ncy

Okay, you're mil so you might relate to this (I'm not mil at all but let me explain).

You know those blackgun guys who go to the range with their tricked out AR's and have that "Magpul ALL THE THINGS!" attitude (yet have never heard of companies like Noveske, LaRue, JP Enterprises, Nikon, Schmidt & Bender, Anschutz etc.) and are super tacticool "xXx1337 ghost shadow seal ranger delta sas jtf2 commando SF PMC 1337xXx" yet probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 metres and always seem to be fatasses who couldn't pass a PARE or CF Express test or even get through one to save their lives? That's probably what those guys you saw were.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:15   #9
Uberg33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Okay, you're mil so you might relate to this (I'm not mil at all but let me explain).

You know those blackgun guys who go to the range with their tricked out AR's and have that "Magpul ALL THE THINGS!" attitude (yet have never heard of companies like Noveske, LaRue, JP Enterprises, Nikon, Schmidt & Bender, Anschutz etc.) and are super tacticool "xXx1337 ghost shadow seal ranger delta sas jtf2 commando SF PMC 1337xXx" yet probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 metres and always seem to be fatasses who couldn't pass a PARE or CF Express test or even get through one to save their lives? That's probably what those guys you saw were.
LOL! That's awesome. No believe it or not they were young fit dudes. Not overweight, not uber skinny. I mean I can't obviously speak for their fitness levels but they weren't those guys you're referring to. They also looked like possible stoners so maybe that's the reason. lol
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:26   #10
MADDOG

If you stick around long enough you will see it is just like every other unit, asshats mixed in with switched on guys and the whole gamut in between.

You need to find the guys that fit your style and until you play a few rounds and see the different players and groups keep an open mind.

Cry Havoc, Let slip the Dogs of War!

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Last edited by MADDOG; February 2nd, 2013 at 10:33..
MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:10   #11
Jimski

Quote:
I just suck at it and theres no changing it.
I'd like to respectfully point out that if you read lots of good litterature it will come naturally
it's just difficult to find the time
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:13   #12
mzo

There are also fat individuals who go to the range with a black AR with "tacticool" accessories, who are safe, can hit their targets, are polite, and considerate of others who are using the facility. Like me.

Also I have been using real steel for about a year now and I still have plenty to learn and I am looking forward to learning more. While I enjoy adding tacticool accessories to my black AR and using it in a safe and recreational manner (target shooting), I am not informed about all the firearms companies that you listed. However that in no way makes me rude or ignorant.

As for the jerkoffs at the store, they are just that jerkoffs and unfortunately they can be found in every corner of society. However as an airsoft newbie my experiences have shown me that the majority of airsofters are decent people who want to have a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post

A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe - Pierre Berton
mzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:27   #13
L473ncy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzo View Post
There are also fat individuals who go to the range with a black AR with "tacticool" accessories, who are safe, can hit their targets, are polite, and considerate of others who are using the facility. Like me.
I don't know what it is but it seems to be a problem with the tacticool blackgun guys especially. Competition shooters are a different beast but I feel there's a bit more underlying respect between them, and with hunters you can either get rednecks to egotistic doctors who go on hunting trips or anything in between.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:33   #14
Maxxa

If they don't have the grapes to say anything to your face who cares what they say? To be honest what you are doing here isn't a whole lot different than what they were doing there.
They were obvoiusly geared up to impress eachother and themselves and it's not much different than homie the clown in an oversized camo rapper suit. Just continuing to think about them after you left the store is giving them waaay more credit than I'm sure they deserve.
Maxxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:37   #15
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

assholes will be assholes, whether they be paintball assholes, airsoft assholes, hockey assholes, football assholes... or just assholes.

The great thing is that society can spot an asshole quite easily, and for the most part can ignore them, regardless of what activity they pretend to be good at.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General