Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Trigger Finger Placement

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old April 16th, 2011, 12:52   #16
groomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
On a 1911, the grip is smaller so the trigger comes naturally on the first joint.
I definately agree, as for basically every other gun I find I use the tip of my index while the 1911 handles best fired with the first joint.
I was always taught to fire from the tip, and not from the hip...
Unless you're rambo or Arnold in Commando. They can hit anything, regardless of finger positioning.
Old May 25th, 2011, 22:07   #17
miker123

Send a message via MSN to miker123
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbadon View Post
Just do what is comfortable for you, if you spend all your time trying to make sure you have the "proper" part of your finger on the trigger (based on what other people think is their expert opinion) then your not going to be paying attention to what is going on. Same goes for how you carry your gun, move your feet, firing position you take. If you just want to look like someone from a magpul vid, then more power to you. But eventually you will learn what works for you, and do things that way.
I couldn't agree more.
its not about what others think you should do, its about what feels right to you.

if you have a way of doing it which you find comfortable and easy to do, stick to it.

Old May 27th, 2011, 22:31   #18
davidnleeh4

Finger Placement

I too, was taught to use the "distal joint (the first joint after your finger tip)", but I was taught to use it whether I was shooting/firing a pistol or rifle. Along with shooting in that manner, I was taught to "squeeze" the trigger using a SLOW progressive movement so that it was a surprise to me when the weapon(s) fired.
davidnleeh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 01:01   #19
Greyhame888

Thanks to everyone that decided to comment. This turned into a nice little discussion. Some of the guys out here, myself included, run APSCA games. Basically the Edmonton, Alberta version of CAPS. I've been regularly winning the competitions lately, but I'm still trying to improve myself regardless.

On a second note, sometimes I wish I lived in Ontario, I'd love to pit myself against some of the CAPS guys
Greyhame888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 23:35   #20
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
when learning pistol shooting habits there are thing you need to start with. We combat shooters are looking at close range center mass. Even thought the habit is best taught early. The finger tip on the trigger.
Practical exam 1
left hand up Index finger extended. Right trigger finger tip on the inside of left index finger in a mock trigger fashion.
Pull the trigger and see the movement.
Repeat using the Trigger finger Pad then knuckle than second pad.
The further along the finger you go the more left right movement is enacted in the pulling motion of the trigger finger ergo the tip is most accurate for direct back forthe movement with mimimum horizontal variance. Its science bitches, Trigger-nomitry!
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:33   #21
SniperSam

Send a message via AIM to SniperSam Send a message via MSN to SniperSam Send a message via Skype™ to SniperSam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyissue View Post
Its science bitches, Trigger-nomitry!
Permission to sig cap'n?

Whoa guy with the thumb rings, save some pussy for the rest of us

Welcome to Bed Bath and Beyoncé, if you find anything you like, put a ring on it.

What idiot called them Black Bears instead of African Abearicans
SniperSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:14   #22
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
lol sure
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 16:03   #23
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Formally RedComrade

When I was on Oxford Community Police Auxiliary and we had to do training with Sig 229s we were told 1st joint to mid section of your finger to ensure you squeeze and don't pull. I find some pistols are just uncomfortable because my finger doesn't sit right. 1911s are bad for me, so far my favourite/most comfy are the SIGs. I love my kjw 226, sits in my hand just right. I can squeeze the trigger as opposed to feeling like I'm trying to pull it. Damn these smallish hands.
Old June 9th, 2011, 16:11   #24
m102404
Tys

That's so odd (for me)...I end up with the exact opposit. I've got short-ish fingers and meaty hands.

A SIG just does not sit comfortably (it holds ok, but doesn't stay put under recoil)...and I'm forever yanking the trigger sideways (at least for the DA shot).

Any single action setup seems to be ok for me...which tends to narrow it down to 1911/2011/glocks.

Re. the original topic...I've always used the pad of my fingertip...about dead center. I started shooting that way...and a lot of it was target/precision-esque stuff with light-ish triggers. So it's a habit I got into and haven't broken. That type of "loose" shooting (especially benchrest) has led to other problems though...some guns just seem to need a firmer grip.

It's not that you can't teach an old dog new tricks...it's that the old dog just doesn't want to change
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 16:51   #25
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Formally RedComrade

Just goes to show how different everyone's ultimate shooting style is. Trust me it's frustrating not having the 1911s sit right in my hand cause I love them so much. My Desert Combat Elite doesn't get nearly the love it should.
Old June 9th, 2011, 17:40   #26
m102404
Tys

I've had about 6 226's over the years to see if it's ever any better...some real beauts too...but to no avail...
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:40   #27
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
I like to put my finger on the trigger and pull it, but that's just me.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 12:06   #28
Reckless

precision shots.long aimed singles, well braced and prepped... finger tip

full forward assaulting, running and gunning etc .. generally first joint...

realistically by the end of a full day ... which ever part of my first or middle finger that doesn't hurt! (now that I'm keeping my current stuff, need to take some time and customized the triggers) LOL

Quote:
"SIR!, you've gone mad with power!"
"Ofcourse I have, you ever gone mad without power, it's useless, no one pays any attention"
The Cavalry Comes
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures