Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

In Awe...

:

Newbie Tank

Old March 26th, 2009, 16:44   #1
ATF-Hatman

In Awe...

Hi everyone,

Serious n00b here who was recently introduced to AirSoft. I will admit that I was a mis-guided individual who's limited knowledge of AirSoft was that of a gang of Yahoo's with stubby kiddy-like clear guns.

Boy was I wrong!

At any rate, I'm 39 (awaiting Age verification) and am seriously interested in this. A co-worker of mine (Super6-1) has lead me into this world... So, I ask you, as a n00b, what kind of expense is typical of a starter who is not interested in low-grade equipment yet not quite willing to go full tilt on pro stuff? What gear would be recommended?

Thanks for your time,
ATF-Hatman

Last edited by ATF-Hatman; March 27th, 2009 at 13:58..
ATF-Hatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 16:54   #2
The Saint

Pro-stuff is a misnomer. There is no pro airsoft. People just buy whatever makes them happy, up to whatever they can afford.

It's a lot easier to provide advice if you could give us some idea on your personal preferences, as well as a rough budget. It's also a good idea to find an opportunity to try whatever you'd like to purchase prior to purchase, like everything else in life.
Old March 26th, 2009, 16:59   #3
Cuddles

I suggest just showing up at a local game and speaking with other players about this!

At games, there are generally other players who rent out equipment (but you should definitely find this out yourself first :P). From there you can decide what kind of equipment you should be purchasing.
Cuddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 17:01   #4
ATF-Hatman

I figure I'd be willing to spend about $600 - $700
This would include Primary and sidearm (MP5SD [AEG] & Glock)
Spare mags (2-3 of each)
Protective gear

Whatever else can come afterwards bit by bit
Old March 26th, 2009, 17:22   #5
Jimski

mm I'd say don't buy a sidearm at first and get more magazines for your AEG.
choose a chest rig instead of a big vest if you can.
get some kneepads, it's a big plus.
also coat your goggles with dishwashing liquid to avoid fog.
Old March 26th, 2009, 17:50   #6
L473ncy

Ask your friend about that.

We just get whatever we think is good or whatever.

Low end for me is Kraken which I don't think you'd really want...
Mid end would probably be the China clones and whatnot
High end would be something like TM, SystemA, etc.

May I ask where you'd be playing? Is it mostly CQB and indoor fields or outdoor fields? That should be taken into account when picking a gun (or variant).

I'd say be prepared to spend at least $450 off the bat for a used gun off the classifieds.

First thing, protective gear, ballistic goggles or PB mask, gloves (for the thorny bushes), kneepads (your knees will thank you for this),

Second thing you should do is get some good footwear, go to marks work wearhouse or an outdoors shop to test out a few boots to pick the right ones. I have a bit of a bias for getting good footwear though. IMHO You'll be spending most of the day on your feet and they move you around so get your self whatever keeps your feet comfortable. I got my boots from an outdoors shop and I use them for hiking, yardwork, etc. I even have Superfeet insoles (you don't *need* them but I muse say they are awesome).

After that, get your primary (MP5), mags, battery, charger etc.

Get your BDU's and something to hold your mags in (a chestrig or vest but chestrig is what most of us use).

The last thing you should be picking up is your secondary (in your case your glock). That is unless you'll be competing in CAPS.

NOTE: You CAN show up to games in a sweatshirt, t-shirt and jeans/cargo pants and either use a hi-cap or mid cap and keep the mags in your pocket or something. Wear white so people know you're a noob .
Old March 26th, 2009, 18:57   #7
Drake
E-01

Your co-worker should be able to fill you in on most details if he's an organized player (is it someone on this forum?)

Your cost estimate isn't bad, but I'd suggest holding off on the sidearm for now: as someone else suggested, get extra mags for your primary and decent gear to carry it, good goggles, etc. Having to carry your stuff with uncomfortable or non-functional gear, or goggles that fog or aren't comfortable, things like that can really make your day suck.

You can usually go to games and check out people's stuff, it'll give you an idea what's out there etc. Your friend/co-worker must also have stuff you can check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
NOTE: You CAN show up to games in a sweatshirt, t-shirt and jeans/cargo pants and either use a hi-cap or mid cap and keep the mags in your pocket or something. Wear white so people know you're a noob .
That's actually pretty frowned upon around here, unless its some little skirmish at Action 500. At least get a pair of ODs from the surplus for $15.
Old March 26th, 2009, 19:03   #8
ATF-Hatman

Thanks for the prompt replies. Yes, I'm certain he (my co-worker) is on these forums albeit I don't know what callsign he goes by.

Anyhow, I've spoken with him ad hoc but wanted other opinions.

Cheers
Old March 26th, 2009, 19:10   #9
Drake
E-01

There's a game at Action 500 on the 31st: it's a good place to check stuff out, etc. You can even borrow a mask/goggles at the counter if you want to check out the action on the field.

There's usually an age verifier present, too.

Link to game thread
Old March 27th, 2009, 13:53   #10
ATF-Hatman

Thanks Drake... If I'm able I will certainly go check that out.
I was discussing this with Super6-1 just today.

Cheers

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank