Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Protecting your optics

:

Accessories Discussion

Old June 12th, 2013, 15:11   #16
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I had a custom piece of polycarbonate (lexan) cut to fit inside the scope cap of my nicer scope.

just call up any place that makes acrylic, polycarb, plexi displays or stuff and see what they'll do. Here in ottawa we have canus plastics. I just called up, asked them if they could cut me 2 circles of 1/4" lexan in x size and boom, it was done a couple days later, picked them up for 15 bucks or whatever.

The only issue is they will fog since you're not sealing it completely and vacuuming it, so use a bit of anti fog or leave a way of ventilating the space between.
Old June 12th, 2013, 18:38   #17
SuperHog

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
I had a custom piece of polycarbonate (lexan) cut to fit inside the scope cap of my nicer scope.

just call up any place that makes acrylic, polycarb, plexi displays or stuff and see what they'll do. Here in ottawa we have canus plastics. I just called up, asked them if they could cut me 2 circles of 1/4" lexan in x size and boom, it was done a couple days later, picked them up for 15 bucks or whatever.

The only issue is they will fog since you're not sealing it completely and vacuuming it, so use a bit of anti fog or leave a way of ventilating the space between.
Good to hear. Will you be making a pair for $15 to ASC members soon and possibly include a rail mount?
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 19:37   #18
LongStone

Airsoftparts.ca is now carrying Black Watch Optic Shields (Ultimate Airsoft has had them on site for a while)
Full disclosure, I make these with a friend at his CNC shop.

They're made out of UHMW and rated for 1 joule. they take multiple hits and don't scratch or fog
they do have a "mesh goggle effect" on unmagnified optics but that pretty much disappears with both eyes open or on magnified optics like the ACOG or Elcan Specter

this one has taken multiple hits at UA

Doctor mounted on top still has a clear poly carb guard (not shown)

http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...rd=Black+Watch
LongStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 21:06   #19
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
Good to hear. Will you be making a pair for $15 to ASC members soon and possibly include a rail mount?
didn't even see this reply :I

Answer: no, I don't make stuff, I no haz machine shop.

Also, polycarb is a bitch to cut, you need specialized tools to cut it cleanly and smoothly, otherwise it sort of ends up melting.
Old June 26th, 2013, 21:43   #20
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongStone View Post
Airsoftparts.ca is now carrying Black Watch Optic Shields (Ultimate Airsoft has had them on site for a while)
Full disclosure, I make these with a friend at his CNC shop.

They're made out of UHMW and rated for 1 joule. they take multiple hits and don't scratch or fog
they do have a "mesh goggle effect" on unmagnified optics but that pretty much disappears with both eyes open or on magnified optics like the ACOG or Elcan Specter

this one has taken multiple hits at UA

Doctor mounted on top still has a clear poly carb guard (not shown)

http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...rd=Black+Watch
Slick. If one of those will fit the zombie stopper I want one!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 23:58   #21
Wilkie

Thanks Longstone. I'ma gunna wander over there now to check those out
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 00:18   #22
Spadona

In case your optics are too big or too small for the optic shields, you can look into the rail mounted lens protectors. They're not the prettiest thing, but they get the job done.

http://airsoftdepot.ca/catalog/produ...oducts_id=1201

Spadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 20:01   #23
LongStone

these are the sizes we offer (so far) use a pair of calipers to measure your optic housing

37.5mm
35mm
34.2mm
33mm
23x32mm (EoTech)
27.5x37.5 (SightMark Holo. discontinued unless there is demand, airsoft parts and UA may still have stock)
Old June 27th, 2013, 22:56   #24
AlexBisnett

Does the honeycomb pattern Blackwatch one distort you view at all or block your vision? Maybe im just not understanding how they work but idk. Id deffintly like to buy a holo sight and try them out.
AlexBisnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 23:07   #25
Spadona

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBisnett View Post
Does the honeycomb pattern Blackwatch one distort you view at all or block your vision? Maybe im just not understanding how they work but idk. Id deffintly like to buy a holo sight and try them out.
No not at all. When you're aiming, your eyes are focused on the object that's farther away, and the honeycombs disappear. The honeycombs are actually very thin.
Spadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 13:04   #26
kaiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongStone View Post
these are the sizes we offer (so far) use a pair of calipers to measure your optic housing

37.5mm
35mm
34.2mm
33mm
23x32mm (EoTech)
27.5x37.5 (SightMark Holo. discontinued unless there is demand, airsoft parts and UA may still have stock)
It kept popping out before I sanded mine down, now it fits, but can easily fall out, probably because the EoTech clone that I have, the glass is slightly curved so it won't really fit in all the way?

I ended up just not using it since I didn't want to try and glue it or something to keep it there securely... I also found the plastic mesh on this quite noticeable? It is more noticeable than say the metal killflash that come on most clone aimpoints.

I now use the transparent plastic covers that I had before for eoTechs though, and that works great except for some distortion T_T.
kaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 23:07   #27
LongStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiu View Post
It kept popping out before I sanded mine down, now it fits, but can easily fall out, probably because the EoTech clone that I have, the glass is slightly curved so it won't really fit in all the way?
Sanding doesn't work very well on the material, the best way to reshape it that I've found is by scraping with a very sharp straight edge (either a utility knife or a burnishing tool, that info should be on the insert sheet as well). make sure the edge is still "square" and not angled. test the fit OFTEN, a couple 1000th's of an inch can make a big difference whether or not it will fit securely. If the sanding created some "fuzz" scrape it with a blade or give it a very quick pass with a torch (more than 1/2 second and the material will start to melt) to remove that, any "fuzzing" can actually act like a lubricant because the material is pretty slippery.

It shouldn't need to seat "all the way" for a secure fit, but they need at least 1.5-2mm of surface inside the housing to fit securely, so the housing should also have a shape like this:
||_____||
rather than like this:
|\_____/|

One of mine (pictured in the EoTech clone above) sticks out about 1/2 way and I've never had it fall out. When I tested the fit with some of Duy's scopes I ended up bruising my hand trying to knock it out and the guard didn't budge.

For the curve of the lens you can take a drill bit a little larger than the holes (must be very sharp!) and drill out the center area so that it follows the contour of the lens a little better.

If you're going to play at Finch's field this summer or we can co-ordinate meeting at airsoft parts send me a PM and I'll come over and check it out and see if I can get it to fit or bring you a replacement.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 23:14   #28
LongStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrIeSt View Post
Slick. If one of those will fit the zombie stopper I want one!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
if your zombie stopper looks like this:

it won't fit (see the "housing shape" info in the post above)

if it looks like this:

it should have the standard EoTech shape and fit
Old July 2nd, 2013, 23:18   #29
LongStone

it's about time we ran a contest here!
Show us your broken optics!
Post a video to YouTube 1-3 minutes in length telling us why you need a Black Watch Optic Shield and post the link to the video under this status update on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/BlackWatchO...97107410398571. We will choose a winner to receive 1 Optic Shield for every 10 videos posted there! See http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...rd=Black+Watch for styles available.
Contest closes Friday July 5th, limited to US and Canadian residents.
Old July 10th, 2013, 21:15   #30
SuperHog

Hey Longstone,

Do those Black Watch shields cut down the light and make the image darker?
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion