Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Propylene and GBBR's anyone tried it?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old September 13th, 2012, 14:31   #46
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post
Possibly a dumb question on my part, but is there some way to mix gasses of this kind to "blend" their temperature->pressure properties depending on the desired application?
Not a dumb question. It will technically work.

HOWEVER: Blending of corrosive / explosive gasses can be extremely dangerous. (Read: Explosive)

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 14:55   #47
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
Not a dumb question. It will technically work.

HOWEVER: Blending of corrosive / explosive gasses can be extremely dangerous. (Read: Explosive)
With my extremely limited knowledge I'm guessing getting the mix ratio perfectly right is probably not easy from a "regular Joe" usability point of view either.

Side note..

Has anyone thought about somehow keeping the gas warm until the moment right before use?

A player could maybe carry around a large LiPo somewhere on their rig that powered a Peltier heater, or maybe a set of them, wrapped around mags. Peltier-based heaters can be very very compact. You could imagine lining a bunch of mag pouches with them. You would need to ensure good thermal conductivity to your mags as well as insulating your rig reasonably well (if playing in much worse cold for example).

If something like that could work, then the mag would only begin to really experience significant cooldown during actual shooting and/or while inserted into the magwell.

Perhaps someone could make a sort of Mag pull style accessory for the winter, i.e. "Mag Booties", where you wrap the mag in some kind of thermally-insulating jacket. Combine this with a Peltier plate, and Propene, and just maybe it would be enough for a game.

Over in AEG land, I've been looking into insulating my AEG's full stock during winter time, or maybe even wrapping the entire stock in something like Thinsulate or some kind of Fleece, to keep it toasty during games when the temperature sags well below zero. With the MOSFET sharing the same space as the battery and getting quite warm during lively semi-auto fire, there's a chance I could get a decent stable temperature in there. I would love to stuff an Arduino unit or something in there during testing and actually gather some data.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 15:22   #48
DustMagnet

Could you just drop some hand warmers into your mag pouches?
DustMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 15:24   #49
Basic-Wedge

I use a blend of duster gas (HFC-134a) and propane on extremely hot days (28℃ and above). I give each mag a good two second shot of duster, then top it up with propane. This blend keeps the velocity from spiking in the heat. You could also run pure duster, but that'll take a good 100 fps off the BBs.

Basic-Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 15:25   #50
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

The problem with that is, what about the mag in your gun? It'll get cold unless you're a mag-a-kill kind of person (and if you are, I hate you).
Old September 13th, 2012, 15:42   #51
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
The problem with that is, what about the mag in your gun? It'll get cold unless you're a mag-a-kill kind of person (and if you are, I hate you).
If it's an M4, Mag Booties / Thermal jacket for the mag.

If it's a pistol, then it stays holstered in the cozy area in your jacket until it is needed. When returned to holster, it starts to re-warm the rapidly-cooling mags.

These aren't ideal but I think it would be worth testing out how far we can get this winter.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 15:43   #52
DustMagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
How about just fabric-taping a handwarmer to each mag? That way they travel with the mag, whether in pouch or in the gun.
DustMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 13:36   #53
paulwes83

Not to defend Fox, but his altitude might have had an effect on his GBBR's performance. Argentina is quite mountanous, so if he was playing at a much higher elevation than most of us, it might've worked for him as gases expand differently at different altitudes. Either way, we Canucks need alternatives to propane, pants down, cause shiz gets really friggin cold here.
paulwes83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 18:54   #54
TheSarge

I read this thread last month and I thought I would give this stuff a try. It works amazing. I tried it out last night and tonight with my closed bolt WE M16 it was about 5-8 degrees celsius. I have tried propane in about the same conditions maybe a little warmer and I have experienced serious double feeding and random bb flight paths. Propylene is by far superior to propane in my books.
TheSarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 15:28   #55
LongStone

I picked up a small can of bernzomatic MAPP but the AI adapter doesn't work with it :-/
(valve is too deep in the throat of the fitting.
any one used a brand that is compatible with the AI or metal adapters?
LongStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 16:21   #56
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Warming mags,

Lots of people have tried this... The issue is the mags generate their own cold as the gas in the mag phase changes from liquid to gas. One, two shots in the mag is down to ambient external temp .. The cooler that is .. The lower the expansion pressure.. So if you marm a mag, it will be primed for the first few shots, and then it will perform the same as a cold one.

I am interested in the propylene results and will try it
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 17:59   #57
Basic-Wedge

I use this size of propylene fuel:

The tank is a handy size I can easily carry in my web gear. It also works fine with the AI plastic adapter.

Basic-Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 18:26   #58
LongStone

damn :-/ bottle looks almost exactly the same as mine but marked as "max power" rather than "quick fire", I'll have to bring the AI adapter next time I pick up a bottle
LongStone is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications