:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old September 10th, 2012, 18:36   #1
LongStone

Propylene and GBBR's anyone tried it?

if you've seen the scoutthedoggie vids with Daedalus and his WE M14 EBR
he talks in this one about using Propylene, especially for cold weather
WE M14 Airsoft Gun Details Section8 Scotland - YouTube

Availability is no issue, you can find it at Home Depot, Canadian Tire etc and it uses a "CGA 600" fitting just like the propane tanks.

I do have questions regarding its volatility compared to propane as well as propylene's status as a "Volatile organic compound".

It is supposed to be a little harder on your gun as well.

Anyone actually used it?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
LongStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 18:57   #2
viking9934

I was using it in my we m14. No big
Issue for winter use. But don't do the mistake of using it in summer!
Here a little link
http://http://community.evike.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=62&func=view &catid=34&id=158262
Old September 10th, 2012, 20:58   #3
LongStone

some good points in the link, thanks
LongStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 23:34   #4
Ross

I laugh at the comment in the link about how flammable propelyn is. As if propane was all that much safer. I've used it in my we scar in cooler temperatures. It worked fine. Just be sure to release the gas before storage as the higher pressure makes mags leak quicker.
Old September 11th, 2012, 00:04   #5
Fox62
Banned

Don't use it. Propane works just fine in the cold.

Fox.
Fox62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 00:23   #6
Rommen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox62 View Post

Fox.
Where are you getting this info? Because it really doesn't. Not the same performance at all.
Rommen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 00:27   #7
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:

Fox.
Argentina cold?...

propane suffers significant loss of pressure under 10 degrees c

basically it does not work in the cold..

if getting 10 shots out of a 30 round mag before the it vents is "working fine" .. then I guess I have higher standards
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 16:46   #8
Fox62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
Argentina cold?...

propane suffers significant loss of pressure under 10 degrees c

basically it does not work in the cold..

if getting 10 shots out of a 30 round mag before the it vents is "working fine" .. then I guess I have higher standards
Argentina gets easily under 10 ºC in the Winter during the morning and night time (closer to 0-5ºC). My SCAR mags have been pretty much frozen outside and working fine. By work fine I mean normally, no difference at all.

I've gamed GBB's for a while. Where are you getting this info? Is the gun in fact failing for ya?

What gun are you running? If it's a crappy gun/crappy mag, it's gonna fail, hot or cold, just a bit more in the cold.

We all remember this one, right? WE G39C Performance in The Cold and Snow - YouTube And that's a buried mag and gun, if you keep the mags inside your vest, or whatever, and don't go crazy on the full auto, there's no reason why you shouldn't get that performance.

Fox.

Last edited by Fox62; September 11th, 2012 at 16:55..
Old September 11th, 2012, 17:05   #9
m102404
Tys

Quote:
Argentina gets easily under 10 ºC in the Winter during the morning and night time (closer to 0-5ºC). My SCAR mags have been pretty much frozen outside and working fine. By work fine I mean normally, no difference at all.

I've gamed GBB's for a while. Where are you getting this info? Is the gun in fact failing for ya?

What gun are you running? If it's a crappy gun/crappy mag, it's gonna fail, hot or cold, just a bit more in the cold.

Fox.
I think a good number of these are Brian's....does not include his pistols. And it does not include the dozen odd M4 GBBRs that he had for some training exercises. But those training ones were all the same make model....so I suppose you wouldn't count those.

I've never had much luck with propane gas in cooler/winter temps...ENLIGHTEN me please on how you're getting this "just fine" performance?
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 17:21   #10
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I think shape/size of the gas reservoir makes a difference. We were shooting kwa pistols at a friend's place last november... my 226, an open bolt WE pdw and ksc g18 all shot fine, while a friend's usp wouldn't even puff gas. Temps were definitely below 10C.

That same usp once warmed up shot fine.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 17:30   #11
Danke

Quote:
It's maybe 5 in the morning here now; that's just about when we break out the long sleeved T-shirts.

We will be playing all winter at twenty below zero Celsius on a regular basis.
Old September 11th, 2012, 17:47   #12
WalkingTarget007

nice collection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
I think a good number of these are Brian's....does not include his pistols. And it does not include the dozen odd M4 GBBRs that he had for some training exercises. But those training ones were all the same make model....so I suppose you wouldn't count those.

I've never had much luck with propane gas in cooler/winter temps...ENLIGHTEN me please on how you're getting this "just fine" performance?
This is off topic, sorry I'm of no help with the topic, but this airsoft gun collection is sweet! Just needed to say! Nice work!
WalkingTarget007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 17:49   #13
Fox62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
WE SCAR Open Bolt, VN Style Mags, it's in a DMR config. so semi only (which helps a lot), but still, I can mag dump a mag (activating the full auto), then load, mag dump again, then load, and it'll shoot as good as new with the mag pretty much frozen on the outside.

And what about the vid for the G39? That's a fake, right?

Maybe you haven't had much luck with the guns/mags you've tried, and propane ain't the culprit.

Fox.

Last edited by Fox62; September 11th, 2012 at 17:51..
Old September 11th, 2012, 17:58   #14
Derpystronk

Quote:
WE SCAR Open Bolt, VN Style Mags, it's in a DMR config. so semi only (which helps a lot), but still, I can mag dump a mag (activating the full auto), then load, mag dump again, then load, and it'll shoot as good as new with the mag pretty much frozen on the outside.

And what about the vid for the G39? That's a fake, right?

Maybe you haven't had much luck with the guns/mags you've tried, and propane ain't the culprit.

Fox.
Some guns work just fine with propane in the winter. They are in the absolutely distinct minority of exceptional exceptions. However the vast majority do not function or function well. I have a personal collection myself that is starting to get close to the picture Tyson posted and propane does them no good in the winter.

It's not really something you can debate. It's physics. Propane pressure drops by quite a huge amount when it gets cold. Most guns don't work. It's much in the same way I use duster in the blasting heat because the temperature is too high for propane creating warp speed BB's and a kick back that replicates real steel, but duster becomes a great substitute and keeps my guns from exploding and my airsofting safe.

I'll be trying the propylene at Shallow Lake this weekend. I'll report back with my findings.
Derpystronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 18:08   #15
Fox62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltastone View Post
Some guns work just fine with propane in the winter. They are in the absolutely distinct minority of exceptional exceptions. However the vast majority do not function or function well. I have a personal collection myself that is starting to get close to the picture Tyson posted and propane does them no good in the winter.

It's not really something you can debate. It's physics. Propane pressure drops by quite a huge amount when it gets cold. Most guns don't work. It's much in the same way I use duster in the blasting heat because the temperature is too high for propane creating warp speed BB's and a kick back that replicates real steel, but duster becomes a great substitute and keeps my guns from exploding and my airsofting safe.

I'll be trying the propylene at Shallow Lake this weekend. I'll report back with my findings.
I know, it depends a lot on gun and mags as I said earlier. But I'm just not convinced about heat and cold affecting FPS of the gun that much. We have temperatures as high as 40ºC in the summer, and as low a -5ºC in the winter. I haven't chronoed in those extremes, but I've chronoed in 35ºC, and say, 5ºC, and the FPS have been very similar (they did vary a bit, but not dramatically). Maybe it depends on the system as well? My main gun is a precision gun, so I've done extensive testing, but the other GBB's are all "grunt" guns.

To the OP, I've tried Propylene and I've hated it. If you can avoid it, do. If you find that your gun runs well on it on winter and is just not gameable on propane, well, you don't got much of an option.

Fox.

Last edited by Fox62; September 11th, 2012 at 18:10..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications