Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Plate Carriers - Never used one, opinions?

:

Gear Discussion

Old March 1st, 2016, 23:28   #1
Mr.Chance

Plate Carriers - Never used one, opinions?

Hey guys,

For as long as I have been playing I have been using chest rigs for the longest while, and i'm looking to make the transition to a plate carrier. Due to the options on the market and the ability to integrate with my D3CR until I can get my hands on the type of pouches I would like to acquire, I have narrowed it down to 3.

1. Mayflower APC
  • Lots of molle space
  • Elastic ends to cummberbun
  • Integrated kangaroo pouch

2. Ferro Concepts FCPC
  • Very modular,
  • Tons of accessories
  • Canadian made

3. Perroz Designs LPSPC
  • Low profile
  • Minimalist
  • Option for custom work
  • Canadian made

All three are great options that have strengths in areas i'm looking for, just cant choose one...help..

Last edited by Mr.Chance; March 1st, 2016 at 23:36.. Reason: Grammar
Mr.Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 23:52   #2
Handsonic
"I like syrup on my blue waffles." #diseasedvagina

Of those three, I'd take the first option. Lots of MOLLE, kangaroo pouches are great, looks good, looks comfy. The second one has those mag pouches integrated in the side, but it looks really uncomfortable both to wear and to reach for. The third one simply has no MOLLE and is therefore not of much use since we aren't trying to actually stop any bullets.
Handsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 00:00   #3
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

first spear STT
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 00:07   #4
Mr.Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
first spear STT

Like this?

-------------------------
Primary: WDT HurricanE SR-15
Secondary: WDT TM Glock 17 & MRE Spoon
------------------------
BA Level 2 Certified
Old March 2nd, 2016, 00:09   #5
Mr.Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsonic View Post
Of those three, I'd take the first option. Lots of MOLLE, kangaroo pouches are great, looks good, looks comfy. The second one has those mag pouches integrated in the side, but it looks really uncomfortable both to wear and to reach for. The third one simply has no MOLLE and is therefore not of much use since we aren't trying to actually stop any bullets.
The FCPC has interchangable cummberbuns, and the LPSPC is a slick carrier.

------------------------
BA Level 2 Certified
Old March 2nd, 2016, 00:44   #6
EchoFourTwelve
Enjoy's Tight Groupings from behind in his Tight Pants

Send a message via Skype™ to EchoFourTwelve
Mayflower APC has my vote. I've been running with it for about a year and a half now (if not more) and have been doing PT with training plates in, with no discomfort.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 00:50   #7
Mr.Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFourTwelve View Post
Mayflower APC has my vote. I've been running with it for about a year and a half now (if not more) and have been doing PT with training plates in, with no discomfort.
How's the Cummberbund?

------------------------
BA Level 2 Certified
Old March 2nd, 2016, 00:56   #8
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I like the mayflower and banshee, smaller, less bulk, they also sit lower end of the pricing spectrum for the quality you get. It's a good tradeoff.

If you want to support the little guy, perroz and ferro do make nice stuff. Just keep in mind the more modularity you think you're getting, the more weight you might be adding, for example the exchangeable front panels, there's a few extra layers of material to facilitate the swap-ability of differently configured front panels.

I like the idea of less velcro if I were going with a PC. Loop side does tend to wear out over time, there's a limited number of times you can stick and tear. Elastic will eventually oxidize before the cordura will. Think old socks or underwear when the elastic gets crackly.

I personally like running chest rigs because they're lighter and less bulky and also less hot, it's much easier to manage body temperature. It's airsoft, there's no need to run plates, so it sort of negate the need for plate carriers.

That being said, it's however you want to look.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 06:50   #9
Mr.Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
I like the mayflower and banshee, smaller, less bulk, they also sit lower end of the pricing spectrum for the quality you get. It's a good tradeoff.

If you want to support the little guy, perroz and ferro do make nice stuff. Just keep in mind the more modularity you think you're getting, the more weight you might be adding, for example the exchangeable front panels, there's a few extra layers of material to facilitate the swap-ability of differently configured front panels.

I like the idea of less velcro if I were going with a PC. Loop side does tend to wear out over time, there's a limited number of times you can stick and tear. Elastic will eventually oxidize before the cordura will. Think old socks or underwear when the elastic gets crackly.

I personally like running chest rigs because they're lighter and less bulky and also less hot, it's much easier to manage body temperature. It's airsoft, there's no need to run plates, so it sort of negate the need for plate carriers.

That being said, it's however you want to look.
I have enjoyed running chest rigs for awhile for similar reasons. However now I kinda need more real estate.

I'm unsure when it comes to the fcpc. I have heard good things about it in its newer generations

------------------------
BA Level 2 Certified
Old March 2nd, 2016, 08:55   #10
brock0

I started out in airsoft with a chest rig, went to a PC for more space and somewhere to hang a hydration carrier (first spear STT I can vouch it's awesome), and now I'm going back to chest rig.

If you go with a PC that is 6 channels wide up front (like the STT or the Mayflower APC) you might actually be losing real estate. You can only fit 3 mags across a PC like that (6 if you're double stacking) and then it comes down to putting stuff on your cummerbund. I never put anything on my cummerbund on my pistol side to preserve a clean draw without crap in the way. That doesn't leave much space unless you like stuff mounted under your weak side arm (which I don't).

As lurking said above, PC means weight and heat. Unless you're running training plates of course, then a PC makes sense.

2016 has been the gear downsize year for me... no more PC and bulky battle belt. I get more real estate and more comfort with a chest rig and hsgi drop leg panel.

If you need a PC though, STT is great.
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:35   #11
Wilkie

Of those, the Mayflower is the lowest quality, but probably the best suited to a new player, or the average player for that matter. There's a lot of molle on there, and the construction of the carrier and cummerbund are good-enough. The kangaroo pouch is pretty lacklustre in my opinion however, as anything other than STANAG mags have the capacity to get caught while trying to draw.

FC and PD are excellent companies, but designed for someone with more specific tastes, especially with Perroz. The FCPC can be built into something along the Mayflower, albeit of a higher quality, but certainly a higher price point to boot.

The Perroz LPSPC will be my next plate carrier, but likely not for Airsoft. With probably the simplest, and best cummerbund of the three, and the ability to run my Haley Strategic D3cr chest rig attached to the front when I need more than a belt.
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:59   #12
Mr.Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkie View Post
Of those, the Mayflower is the lowest quality, but probably the best suited to a new player, or the average player for that matter. There's a lot of molle on there, and the construction of the carrier and cummerbund are good-enough. The kangaroo pouch is pretty lacklustre in my opinion however, as anything other than STANAG mags have the capacity to get caught while trying to draw.

FC and PD are excellent companies, but designed for someone with more specific tastes, especially with Perroz. The FCPC can be built into something along the Mayflower, albeit of a higher quality, but certainly a higher price point to boot.

The Perroz LPSPC will be my next plate carrier, but likely not for Airsoft. With probably the simplest, and best cummerbund of the three, and the ability to run my Haley Strategic D3cr chest rig attached to the front when I need more than a belt.
I'm becoming more inclined to get the Mayflower, it's price point allows for me to have a bit of breathing room with more things to put on it straight out of the gate

------------------------
BA Level 2 Certified
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:11   #13
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Either of the first two are adequate. If you get the right PC they are far superior to chest rigs, especially for comfort, weight distribution and modularity. I'd recommend also the Crye JPC and First Spear as well. Personally I run the High Ground Gear PC, it's epic.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:24   #14
Mr.Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock0 View Post
I started out in airsoft with a chest rig, went to a PC for more space and somewhere to hang a hydration carrier (first spear STT I can vouch it's awesome), and now I'm going back to chest rig.

If you go with a PC that is 6 channels wide up front (like the STT or the Mayflower APC) you might actually be losing real estate. You can only fit 3 mags across a PC like that (6 if you're double stacking) and then it comes down to putting stuff on your cummerbund. I never put anything on my cummerbund on my pistol side to preserve a clean draw without crap in the way. That doesn't leave much space unless you like stuff mounted under your weak side arm (which I don't).

As lurking said above, PC means weight and heat. Unless you're running training plates of course, then a PC makes sense.

2016 has been the gear downsize year for me... no more PC and bulky battle belt. I get more real estate and more comfort with a chest rig and hsgi drop leg panel.

If you need a PC though, STT is great.
When it comes to my mags. I don't run more than 8 mid caps. 2 of them are always on my first line for drawing and tac reloads and I refill those from my second line.

Being more inclined to go with the Mayflower do to the kangaroo, price

------------------------
BA Level 2 Certified
Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:56   #15
DuffMan

Send a message via ICQ to DuffMan Send a message via MSN to DuffMan
Bear in mind, Milan is very open to custom work, so if you get either Perroz rig, you could have somethings done that you won't get with the mass-production Mayflower

"He resisted. I asked him to comply."
"Telling him to 'eat it, bitch' is not really a request."
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion