Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Folding Stocks and Magazine Compatibility

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old August 5th, 2013, 21:39   #1
MrMoo

Folding Stocks and Magazine Compatibility

Hey all,

Some newbie questions for all of you. I'm looking in to my first guns, and I'm really kind of set on the idea of real steel and wood. I've been looking at the Echo1 Red Star Wolverine, for example, and while I like it, those folding metal stocks worry me. How stable are these things, if not on the Wolverine then in general? This is a game where presumably you'll be running around in the woods, crawling, diving, rolling and potentially tripping and falling. I don't want to spend all that cash on a new gun only to fall on it and snap the stock off. Then again, a folding stock does seem very convenient. Just not sure if it's worth the risk! Any thoughts or opinions or experiences would be great.

Second and unrelated question, how compatible are various magazines? Now that I'm AV'd and looking at various retailers, I'm having trouble finding a gun and magazines for that gun from the same manufacturer. Are all AK mags the same? If I can't find an Echo1 AK magazine, are there any similar ones I could cram in there, or should I risk it?

Thanks in advance for the help!
MrMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 21:41   #2
boren93
Dicks

Dont bother with Echo-1 go get an LCT AK less than $400. Full steel, mag compatibility depends as you may need to file down the mag lips unless you get the LCT mags.

Last edited by boren93; August 5th, 2013 at 21:45..
boren93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 21:43   #3
Slow
Loves Furries

May i ask what your spending limit is? If its around the $500 mark i would stray away from E1

If ASC were real life, there would be no Chuck Norris, only CDN_Stalker

MANITOBA IVAN
Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 21:45   #4
MrMoo

Oh, really? I just thought they looked nice, and I dug the metal and wood. The blowback on the Wolverine was nice, too. Anyway, I'm not sure I have a real spending limit in mind, I'm still feeling things out and trying to figure out what I can get for how much. I could probably manage something close to the $500 mark, if I gave up on getting a pistol for a while.
Old August 5th, 2013, 21:49   #5
boren93
Dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoo View Post
Oh, really? I just thought they looked nice, and I dug the metal and wood. The blowback on the Wolverine was nice, too. Anyway, I'm not sure I have a real spending limit in mind, I'm still feeling things out and trying to figure out what I can get for how much. I could probably manage something close to the $500 mark, if I gave up on getting a pistol for a while.
Well the LCT I bought brand new is $352 shipped from one of the retailers here. I gave up my Real Sword and haven't looked back since.
Old August 5th, 2013, 21:50   #6
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

I would not hold blowback as a selling feature in an AEG. The systems are notorious for breaking.

If you can afford it, an LCT or a Real sword are definitely the way to go for AKs with quality steel and wood.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 21:51   #7
MrMoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boren93 View Post
Well the LCT I bought brand new is $352 shipped from one of the retailers here. I gave up my Real Sword and haven't looked back since.
Wow. That is some pretty high praise. I'll have to keep an eye out for retailers that carry them. How easy is it to find accessories and magazines? Also, same question about the folding stock. How sturdy are they?
Old August 5th, 2013, 21:54   #8
Slow
Loves Furries

Well as long as you don't fall on them. They should not break

MANITOBA IVAN
Old August 5th, 2013, 21:55   #9
boren93
Dicks

Pm'd you the retailer. Accessories arent that hard mags I'd suggest specifically LCT ones or you can get MAG branded ones but you may need to file them. VFC are also good. Also you should purchase the LCT magwell spacer to keep your mags held securely.
Old August 5th, 2013, 22:02   #10
MrMoo

Awesome! I appreciate the tip. I hadn't heard of LCT before, but, I'll definitely check in to it. I'll also try not to fall on my gun if I get something with a folding stock.
Old August 5th, 2013, 22:12   #11
boren93
Dicks

FYI you can also change the type of side folding stock you want.
Old August 5th, 2013, 22:19   #12
MrMoo

Oh, that could be helpful. Also, will I run in to battery issues with those kinds of guns? I assume that, without a stock, they need smaller batteries since they have to fit them elsewhere. Is that a significant drawback?
Old August 5th, 2013, 22:21   #13
Slow
Loves Furries

They would fit in the receiver.

Most AK stick batteries are bigger then stock batteries

MANITOBA IVAN
Old August 5th, 2013, 22:39   #14
Kingsix

I owned a Echo one wolverine. they OEM is APS so expect the stock release to brake( pot metal) the bolt handle to break (potmetal) and the hinge to break pot metal.

I got it really cheap as a loner/backup gun. Would not recommend buying one brand new.
Old August 5th, 2013, 23:31   #15
MrMoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
They would fit in the receiver.

Most AK stick batteries are bigger then stock batteries
Gotcha. I'm still trying to figure out batteries and what kinds to use, so, I'll have to find the most appropriate one there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsix View Post
I owned a Echo one wolverine. they OEM is APS so expect the stock release to brake( pot metal) the bolt handle to break (potmetal) and the hinge to break pot metal.

I got it really cheap as a loner/backup gun. Would not recommend buying one brand new.
Good to know. Thanks! Everyone seems to agree, so, I think I'll avoid them for now.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion