Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Is it Illegal for a Minor to POSSESS an Airsoft Gun in Canada?

:

General

Closed Thread

Old January 5th, 2008, 02:53   #16
kuchervano

Send a message via MSN to kuchervano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
It is not legal for a person under the age of 18 to posses a replica firearm.
Section/subsection number and a quote please.

Quote:
but... Airsoft guns as a class of articles are not proscribed as replicas...
They are on CFC website here

Quote:
So If airsoft are replicas..they are proscribed and Governed by the CCC and the provisions of the Firearms Act... which limits possession of firearms to persons 18 years and older, without supervision. even though they are not firearms .. replicas are proscribed so the same age restrictions apply
Again need a link/quote.

Quote:
So technically if a minor committed an offense with an airsoft gun.. and was charged... they would also likely face a charge of unlawful possession of a prohibited device...as well.
According to this, Section 91(2) under Possession Offenses, there is an 'except replica firearm' bit.

Quote:
it is not any more illegal for a minor to have one than it is for you to sell one to someone else.
If I read the Criminal Code correctly, possession of a replica firearm is not illegal, however transportation or fiddling with one, is.

edit: CFC website (link above) also mentions Minor's Possession License, additionally, it mentions that no license is required to possess a Replica Firearm.

Last edited by kuchervano; January 5th, 2008 at 03:08.. Reason: spelingz
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:02   #17
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Here's what I got from Crossman.

This is for softair/airsoft

This is for Airgun. (Only supervision is needed when using an "Airgun"(4.5 or pellet). )

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047

Last edited by Shirley; January 5th, 2008 at 03:04..
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:16   #18
Tex

exactly read that "buyer and users duty to obey all laws about use and ownership" it states nothing about the law. that image is just a warning thats all. they are talking about laws.
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:18   #19
mcguyver

From the Firearms Act:

Special Cases — Persons
Minors

8. (1) An individual who is less than eighteen years old and who is otherwise eligible to hold a licence is not eligible to hold a licence except as provided in this section.

Minors hunting as a way of life

(2) An individual who is less than eighteen years old and who hunts or traps as a way of life is eligible to hold a licence if the individual needs to hunt or trap in order to sustain himself or herself or his or her family.
Hunting, etc.

(3) An individual who is twelve years old or older but less than eighteen years old is eligible to hold a licence authorizing the individual to possess, in accordance with the conditions attached to the licence, a firearm for the purpose of target practice, hunting or instruction in the use of firearms or for the purpose of taking part in an organized competition.
No prohibited or restricted firearms

(4) An individual who is less than eighteen years old is not eligible to hold a licence authorizing the individual to possess prohibited firearms or restricted firearms or to acquire firearms or cross-bows.
Consent of parent or guardian

(5) An individual who is less than eighteen years old is eligible to hold a licence only if a parent or person who has custody of the individual has consented, in writing or in any other manner that is satisfactory to the chief firearms officer, to the issuance of the licence.

AUTHORIZED TRANSFERS AND LENDING
General Provisions
Definition of “transfer”

21. For the purposes of sections 22 to 32, "transfer" means sell, barter or give.

1995, c. 39, s. 23; 2003, c. 8, s. 17.

Authorization to transfer prohibited weapons, devices and ammunition

24. (1) Subject to section 26, a person may transfer a prohibited weapon, prohibited device or prohibited ammunition only to a business.

Conditions

(2) A person may transfer a prohibited weapon, prohibited device, ammunition or prohibited ammunition to a business only if
(a) the business holds a licence authorizing the business to acquire and possess prohibited weapons, prohibited devices, ammunition or prohibited ammunition, as the case may be;

From the CFC Fact Sheet for Airguns:

Such air guns are exempt from licensing, registration, and other requirements under the Firearms Act, and from penalties set out in the Criminal Code for possessing a firearm without a valid licence or registration certificate. However, they are considered to be firearms under the Criminal Code if they are used to commit a crime. Anyone who uses such an air gun to commit a crime faces the same penalties as someone who uses a regular firearm.

The simple possession, acquisition and use of these air guns for lawful purposes is regulated more by provincial and municipal laws and by-laws than by federal law. For example, some provinces may have set a minimum age for acquiring such an air gun. For more information, please contact your local or provincial authorities.

It's a little vague, but basically they defer determination to the provinces, but clearly forbid prohibited and restricted firearms from minors with no exceptions. They do have exceptions to the 18+ policy for PAL, but under prescribed conditions. Minors using airsoft guns is not one of them.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:23   #20
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
EDIT: Nevermind, was disagreeing with what I agreed with, pertaining to what mcguyver said. And kuchervano, it says airsoft guns MAY be classified as airsoft guns. Which we all know means jack shit. CARRY ON.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services

Last edited by Styrak; January 5th, 2008 at 03:26..
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:25   #21
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
It's a little vague, but basically they defer determination to the provinces, but clearly forbid prohibited and restricted firearms from minors with no exceptions. They do have exceptions to the 18+ policy for PAL, but under prescribed conditions. Minors using airsoft guns is not one of them.

I have emailed them. I just searched at that a while ago. So if I get an email back from them saying minors using airsoft guns is not one of them, then the rules of age to play is crossed out?

CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:27   #22
kuchervano

Send a message via MSN to kuchervano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
And kuchervano, it says airsoft guns MAY be classified as airsoft guns. Which we all know means jack shit. CARRY ON.
lolwut?
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:27   #23
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hitman View Post
I have emailed them. I just searched at that a while ago. So if I get an email back from them saying minors using airsoft guns is not one of them, then the rules of age to play is crossed out?
The rules of age to play has nothing to do with this conversation. That's game host rules.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:28   #24
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
The rules of age to play has nothing to do with this conversation. That's game host rules.
Whoops. Just got that now.

CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:36   #25
88dechmustang
*AV STATUS REVOKED*

replica guns ie: airsoft guns are not illegal to own.They are how ever not to be displayed in public view/they will be seized...and you will not get them back,,,,end of story (works for any fire arm (air gun/paintball bla bla)
They are illegal to import into canada (replica) and
you are not suppose to ship with canada post (everyone does)
i asked the person who does all my shipping and she handed me a fact sheet on it

Last edited by 88dechmustang; January 5th, 2008 at 04:03..
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:45   #26
Shrapnel[Op-For]

I'm am very happy to see this thread, I was so sick of people not wanting to help me or give me answers because they thought I was breaking some law owning my gun, (and I wish i could contribute to this argument).
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:59   #27
dodger_me

mustang,
Canada post not allowing was just a couple weeks ago. To my knowledge they ARE enforcing it. Your best to spend the 15-20 bucks more and get it purolator or UPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andrew. View Post
turns out i had to take the battey out of the stock and charge it right from the battery wire..not the wire that connects to the gun
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:00   #28
Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger_me View Post
mustang,
Canada post not allowing was just a couple weeks ago. To my knowledge they ARE enforcing it. Your best to spend the 15-20 bucks more and get it purolator or UPS
Baseball bats and golf clubs
G3SD6
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:03   #29
dodger_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
Baseball bats and golf clubs
Or just go full out and hide some crack and Ice in the gun! its not like the things gonna get Seized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andrew. View Post
turns out i had to take the battey out of the stock and charge it right from the battery wire..not the wire that connects to the gun
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:04   #30
88dechmustang
*AV STATUS REVOKED*

they dont seize them they just hand em over to the police and they deal with them

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General