Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

KWC Sig P226 X-FIVE (CO2) - pic heavy

:

Reviews

Old May 7th, 2010, 20:59   #1
EagleDriver

KWC Sig P226 X-FIVE (CO2) - pic heavy

The Sig Sauer X-FIVE series pistols are performance oriented and are produced mainly for competition shooting. They come in the X-FIVE mode, Competition model, Tactical model, and Allround model. Most of the versions are single action, except for the Allround, which uses Sig's traditional double action with de-cocking lever. The X-FIVE differs from the standard P226 in several external aspects, including longer barrel, beaver tail, and ambidextrous safety (on single action models.)

Being the owner of an X-FIVE Allround model I have wanted an airsoft X-FIVE for some time. The PGC kits were just too pricey for me to want to take to the field with. So last year I heard about KWC's news that they would produce the Sig P226 X-FIVE Tactical version in 6mm airsoft. No news for a while, and then Palco Sports new catalog shows two versions - a 4.5mm version (BB gun) and a 6mm version (airsoft.) I contacted Palco in Minnesota and they said that although they list it in their catalog, they have no idea when it will arrive. They also mentioned that it was licensed from Sig, so trades should be intact (at least here in the States.) So I kept checking and on Saturday, Cobra Airsoft (www.cobraairsoft.com) listed both versions for sale. I ordered the 6mm version for $108 USD and paid $38.00 for 3-4 day shipping. I had a few other things in the order, and this was my first order with Cobra. I checked the status of my order - processed Monday, shipped Tuesday. Friday, just three days later, it arrived.

Product link from Cobra Airsoft

The Box

The box was typical HK to US packaging - turned inside-out. It was easy to return it to the description side out. Inside of the box, it contains the gun, one magazine, a box of BB's, an allen wrench, and a spare magazine CO2 cap.

Top of box

Bottom

Inside

The Gun

At first glance, the KWC X-FIVE has a matte black finish and mine came with the obligatory orange front. The grips feel similar to stock Sig plastic grips and the slide has X-FIVE and Sig logos painted on the slide. Note that the real X-FIVE does not say X-FIVE on the slide. Since this is a copy of the tactical version, which is matte black stainless, it seems like KWC did a good job with the finish. I have not fielded it yet, so I cannot comment on the durability of the finish.

Left side (note that I got finger prints on the slide)

Right side

The frame and slide are metal as is the barrel, spring guide, trigger, and hammer. All of the other hardware, except for the grips are also metal. It seems to be pot metal, which is typical airsoft fare. With a side to side shake, the slide has a little rattle, similar to my KJ Works P226 and P226. In fact, when comparing to any of my other P226's (Tanaka, Marui, and KWA) the KWC X-FIVE comes closest in fit and finish to the KJ Works. I'm not saying that is bad, it's just that is what it most resembles.

The gun functions like the real Tactical model, and is a blowback, so the slide locks back, the ambidextrous safety engages, and the trigger has a pull weight similar to my Marui (stock Marui.) There is no de-cocker lever since this is a single action version, BUT it fires double or single action.

Hopup is a wheel and is only adjustable if you remove the slide. The inner barrel is brass and ends before the outer barrel, so it appears to be a stock P226 length inner barrel.

Comparison

Compared to my other P226's, the X-FIVE is longer, as is the real one.

Side by side with KWA M226R

Magazine

The gun comes with one magazine. Being a CO2 gun, I was hoping that the CO2 would reside in the magazine and not in the gun grip itself. I was not disappointed. The CO2 cartridge (12g) is inserted into the magazine by using an allen wrench to remove a threaded cap over the CO2 chamber. You put in a cartridge and screw it tight. Much easier than my G&G Xreme45's CO2 installation. BB's load standard and magazine capacity is 24 rounds.

Holstering

Unfortunately, the trigger guard is 3mm wider than my KWA, which is 11mm. Therefore it does not fit into my Blackhawk Serpa holsters - neither the real one or the EBB knock-off. I will try to modify a Sportster and see if I can get it in.

The Manual

The manual is a fold-out type and lists the model as "KWC Model KCB 70". There are directions for use, safety directions, an exploded diagram, and parts list. Note that the magazine is listed as separate parts and also as a single part number, so hopefully spares will be available at some point in the future.

Specifications

With a loaded magazine and CO2 12g cartridge, the X-FIVE weights 2 lbs 10 oz (1.19 Kg)

I loaded it up with .25g BB's (no .20's on hand - I don't really use them) and inserted a CO2 cartridge. I fired off a magazine and then ran the CO2 dry. It seems to get just about two magazines before the power drops off noticeably.

With the MadBull Chronograph I was reading 362 to 391 FPS and it was all over the pace with each shot. Not a smooth downward slope. Towards the end of the CO2 it was down to 300 fps (after re-loading.)

Conclusion

With an all metal body and slide, this X-FIVE impressed me with its weight and feel. My only other KWC is an older plastic P99 and I am not too impressed with its build quality. This one seems to be much better, but not up to KWA/TM quality. It seems to be skirmishable, but I won't get to test that out until next weekend. I am going to see if the screw cap for the CO2 on the magazine stays put with 21 hours of fielding this gun. There is a spare that is included in the box, so maybe this was a concern of KWC?

Paint is even and smooth and trades are crisp but painted on. One small detail is that KWC did a nice job on the front strap checkering.

I will post more after I have had a chance to skirmish with it.
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 00:42   #2
sortie39
Banned

thanks for the review,
but unfortunately,this is canada,we cant order guns from overseas as you can...
sortie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 21:27   #3
Shazee083

were did you buy it from did you buy it with in Canada or some were else.
Shazee083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 21:46   #4
TechSeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazee083 View Post
It's mentioned very clearly in his review.

North Trail Sports - Mora, Motorola, Puxing, Fogtech & More! / Our ASC Retail Thread
TechSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 21:56   #5
deadbolt

have you looked, or know of a silver slide for this bad boy?
looking to recreate the gun used by John Travolta in from paris with love.

don't settle with words what you can accomplish with a flamethrower
deadbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:28   #6
SniperSam

Send a message via AIM to SniperSam Send a message via MSN to SniperSam Send a message via Skype™ to SniperSam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazee083 View Post
Should also check his location... USA...

Whoa guy with the thumb rings, save some pussy for the rest of us

Welcome to Bed Bath and Beyoncé, if you find anything you like, put a ring on it.

What idiot called them Black Bears instead of African Abearicans
SniperSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:58   #7
Wetmelon

Send a message via Skype™ to Wetmelon
On a side note, 360 FPS is NOT "Pistol legal" in most places (even in the states) and will likely get the pistol banned from the field. Everyone should be aware of this before they purchase.
Wetmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 20:55   #8
SniperSam

Send a message via AIM to SniperSam Send a message via MSN to SniperSam Send a message via Skype™ to SniperSam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetmelon View Post
On a side note, 360 FPS is NOT "Pistol legal" in most places (even in the states) and will likely get the pistol banned from the field. Everyone should be aware of this before they purchase.
It is in CT/VT, save for indoor CQB

Whoa guy with the thumb rings, save some pussy for the rest of us

Welcome to Bed Bath and Beyoncé, if you find anything you like, put a ring on it.

What idiot called them Black Bears instead of African Abearicans
SniperSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:39   #9
momoney

the mags look very similiar to my Limited Custom mags....my gun is made by KWC for Cybergun. I wonder if they will fit?
momoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 23:27   #10
GWoolfrey

I wonder that too. Can regular P226 co2 mags fit? Or do they have to be x-five mags? I would assume since its still a p226 that it will fit. But I don't know.
Old January 5th, 2013, 17:03   #11
callmemario

SO...where is your field testing report?...would be nice to have your opinion. Thanks!
callmemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 09:57   #12
HaZarD SFD

Necroposting with valuable info.

Cybergun and KWC are both identical. I have an X-Five from each company and both are cross compatible with parts and magazines. They have very little if any fitment issues.

Mags for the Cybergun are a bit thinner on the baseplate and thus the only real issue.
Old March 4th, 2016, 14:05   #13
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
That's because Cybergun guns ARE KWC. Not very similar. They're KWC. Cybergun doesn't make anything, just rebrands stuff.
This is well known.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews