Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

TM AK47 Batt/Motor/Possibly Gearbox Problem

:

Doctor's Corner

Old December 17th, 2005, 06:54   #1
CanIplayDaddy

TM AK47 Batt/Motor/Possibly Gearbox Problem

Hi, I was trying out a new batt, and my TM AK47 wire connection with a NEW battery was reversed, ie. red to black, black to red.

PS: I was not an idiot to purposely experiment with the different polarity, but mine was assembled by a friend who may have accidentely switched the colours on the battery wire. :?

Anyway, on my first few tries I could hear dull knocking sounds like the piston was moving in my AK but after I removed charged the batt a while and put in again, there was nothing. And ive not been able to make it work so far. Also I did not have a fuse installed as yet due to my friend not installing it.

What adverse effects could such a switch do to the motor? Will it short out? Will it reverse torque and screw up my gearbox? Or is my new battery simply defective or the connection wrong? (Although I doubt so due to the knocking sounds)

Anyone heard of this problem? Thanks for any info.
CanIplayDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 07:49   #2
Greylocks

Bring it to someone who does know what they are doing, has the proper tools and parts, and have it checked out. It could be many things.

Anytime I read "assembled by a friend", I usually see a post like yours asking for help a short time later. So do it right and your problems will be over.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 08:30   #3
CanIplayDaddy

Yeah Ive sent it to another pro to take a look hopefully he can tell me the problem.

That friend of mine is not your average airsoft joe hes been assembling airsoft and the like for a decade or two probably, but he can be very absent minded AND he is very busy at the moment: getting married, etc.
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:38   #4
mcguyver

no fuse is a BIG NO-NO. if your polarity was wrong your motor would have turned in reverse until stopped by the anti-reversal latch. the motor would have then been drawing full current based on winding load and would have blown the fuse if you held the trigger. but without the fuse the windings would have heated up and melted in at least 1 spot until the circuit opened. this means bye-bye motor. a fuse is a simple thing designed to protect your motor primarily, but also the rest of the electrical system of wiring and switches and must not be removed for any reason, or this is the result. which is better, replacing a 50cent fuse or a $100 motor? also, unless you build batteries for a living, don't make your own. there are many variables to battery bank construction that most people are unaware of, or simply disregard as unimportant, that will also cause serious problems later. red and black DO NOT necessarily mean positive and negative, but are rather arbitrarily assigned that way by most manufacturers. if you have doubts as to polarity, use a multi-meter to verify it. usually this only happens on the battery side of things, but polarity can get reversed at the motor connections as well.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 12:21   #5
gamer123
Banned

Hm if the battery was assembled red to black, black to red, how did you even manage to charge it without problems?
gamer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 15:06   #6
mcguyver

some chargers will auto-reverse polarity to protect the battery, some will not charge at all, and some will try to charge and kill either the charger and/or battery.
Old December 17th, 2005, 21:09   #7
CanIplayDaddy

Quote:
Hm if the battery was assembled red to black, black to red, how did you even manage to charge it without problems?
Quote:
some chargers will auto-reverse polarity to protect the battery, some will not charge at all, and some will try to charge and kill either the charger and/or battery.
Well I dont know if the Battery was charged properly but then again I did hear the piston moving at one point of time, faintly and no BB came out, so it must have been at least partially charged. The battery was not warm anyway, its a NiCd batt if Im not wrong.

But most definitely the mechbox is not damaged right?
Old December 17th, 2005, 21:13   #8
mcguyver

sometimes a partially charged (ie. nearly dead) battery will do that. with nicad's you soemtimes have to charge them 2 or 3 times initially, then they are good to go. but like i said, if you have any doubt use a multi-meter. they are cheap and will tell you right away if you have a similar problem in the future.
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:31   #9
CanIplayDaddy

Hey problem solved, mods please close this thread.

Seems like my original friend installed the motor the wrong way around, and also reversed the wires polarity so they cancelled each other out and the AK seemingly shoots fine. have gotten somebody to rectify the problem.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner