Can People Not Read?

:

General

Old August 14th, 2012, 07:54   #1
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Angry Can People Not Read?

What is it with people asking specific information about an item you have for sale, when that information is CLEARLY in the goddamn ad?

Whats included? - What it says is included in the ad.

Whats wrong with the item? - Nothing is "wrong" with the item. Look at the fricken description....IN THE AD.

IF the gun is broken, or has issues, or has ears, or smells like anything less than VICTORY, I post it in my ad.

STOP ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS.

READ PEOPLE!
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:02   #2
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
TLDR. I like the ones who ask a million questions, low ball you and when you accept the lowball they never reply again.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:09   #3
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

I find a polite, but firm, fuck off assists in these situations
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:15   #4
MultipleParadox

Exactly what Kaiu said, in my case
I wouldn't have a hard time believing a lot of them are also because people don't read though, because a lot don't, we have proof of this on a daily basis. I use to read everything twice or thrice, but heck, I recently posted a question myself without reading/searching first. It happens to all.

That being said, I think that it's also to make a first contact with seller as fast as possible, because some stuff tends to move so fast on the classifieds that by the time you read the ad carefully, another guy jumped on it and you lost the opportunity. Might be a factor there

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:36   #5
Gunk
In his Trunk!

Send a message via MSN to Gunk
TL;DR What's wrong with people asking questions? What do they want to know?

"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Numenor, and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:42   #6
m102404
Tys

I don't think any messages put forth here are going to reach the audience of people who cannot read....just saying...LOL
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:49   #7
jordan7831
will always be Mike Litoris in our hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
I don't think any messages put forth here are going to reach the audience of people who cannot read....just saying...LOL
No not unless there are some pretty pictures and lots of bright colours to catch the attention of the simple minded.
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:00   #8
Gunk
In his Trunk!

Send a message via MSN to Gunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7831 View Post
No not unless there are some pretty pictures and lots of bright colours to catch the attention of the simple minded.
Cue Permel and his ponies in 3...2...1...
"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Numenor, and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:53   #9
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
Cue Permel and his ponies in 3...2...1...
Permal would appear to be on vacation right now. In light of his absence, I bring you these.

Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 14:34   #10
Janus

Send a message via ICQ to Janus Send a message via MSN to Janus

don't kill me...
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 15:01   #11
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

lol I get that a lot. I just link back to the sale thread
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 15:22   #12
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiu View Post
It's usually imo to get a written PM confirmation before someone makes the buy.

Many people including I have been shafted after the sale because they fail to mention an accurate description, or the extent of the damage, which can have had an influence on our final buying decision.

(e.g. What was described as a small crack actually meant the whole piece was held together by tape, and it looks like a small crack...)

Not saying you would do this, but just saying it's not an uncommon problem...
This.

I've been burned before, and almost been burned - questions to clarify potential issues are a wise method of saving your money and/or avoiding grief. If you don't want to spend 5 minutes answering potentially redundant questions in order to reassure the potential buyer, then don't expect the buyer to even consider buying your potential POS.

Asking questions is also a good way of judging whether a person is trustworthy to buy a gun off of - if the person is evasive in answering questions, or otherwise says something that indicates that things may not be what they seem, then this is a buyers aid when it comes to making a judgement on whether to put down the cash for a purchase, or not.

The amount of mis-represented guns on the for-sale forum, frankly, makes me gun-shy (pun intended). I'd rather much prefer to respond to relatively local advertised guns, and make a purchase in person once that gun is verified in-hand as sound and as advertised, then roll the remote-purchase and ship dice on some of the over-priced, potentially held together with JB-Weld and a prayer battlefield rejects that often come up in the classified's here.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 15:50   #13
jordan7831
will always be Mike Litoris in our hearts

To the OP. I just took a quick peek at your sales thread that you have. In all fairness you should take a closer look at the gun your trying to sell. Not to criticize but there really isnt as much info presented as you may have thought. Also, consider the asking price of your gun. When your trying to sell a gun for that much moola your bound to get tonnes of clarification questions.

Another thing is that quite often there is A LOT of blatant misrepresentation in the classifieds lately. Just today someone bumped their add claiming a heavy weight gun is full metal. You will always get tire kickers, low ballers, and flakers. Its part of selling on the classifieds.

If you were dropping 500+ on a toy gun wouldnt you ask some questions just to double check?

I sure as hell do. Hell I ask questions for a $50 item let alone a $500 gun.

I guess what im trying to say is that people will ask questions no matter what. Consider it a form of risk protection. If you were to say buy a used car wouldnt you ask a butt load of questions? I sure would. Going back to my contract law classes, if a buyer doesnt ask, and there is something wrong with an item (like a car) then the seller has no responsibility as they were never asked. But by simply asking "is anything broken thats not in the ad" and you say "no". Well then a buyer has just mitigated a big risk, because you as a seller has a duty to be honest and truthful. Quite often I have seen sellers lie, and because of that I have been able to get some money back when I have been burned in the past.

Last edited by jordan7831; August 14th, 2012 at 15:57..
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 15:57   #14
Stryker

I personally like a buyer asking questions, because I do it myself as well. When I do post on the buy and sell, I always make sure I state that they are free to ask questions via pm. It also develops somewhat of a connection/relationship between both parties. Heck, i've had quite a good laugh at few folks that were inquiring and such. I guess it all depends on how we communicate and build rapport.
Old August 14th, 2012, 16:17   #15
horto

due diligence.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General