Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ingame food & water: what do you eat/drink?

:

General

Old May 2nd, 2011, 18:31   #16
Firewalker

Send a message via ICQ to Firewalker Send a message via AIM to Firewalker Send a message via MSN to Firewalker Send a message via Yahoo to Firewalker
100 oz (3.1L) Camelbak with Water
Stripped down IMP's (dinner type usually).

If it's extended game, I usually have to replenish the camelback wherever there's water (or I'll bring extra water to do so if it's not available on site). Food is simple enough with the IMP's so I stay fed, watered and happy

IMP's aren't great for you, but they do a helluva job at being portable and "edible" plus they have a ton of calories for what you are going to be burning that day.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 20:53   #17
Deadpool

I bring a 3L camelback and eat some trail mix that has salted nuts, dried fruits and chocolate candy. Never had any problem of energy, headache or heatstroke.

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 21:29   #18
MADDOG

I drink litres of water sweat it all out and don't eat until the OP is done. I lose all appetite when I am active, never get hungry until downtime, good thing my spare tire never lets me down

Cry Havoc, Let slip the Dogs of War!

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 21:46   #19
Kefray

I'm 5'9 180pounds and my trainer (who knows me very well) suggested 66% sport drink, preferably G2, 33% water. At the end of the day (Rawdon, ±7hour long game) I have drank 3L of that mix, and 1 extra litre of water. Next time I'll try a 60/40 mix to fit my taste.
Kefray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 23:05   #20
Jimski

OK that's really great thanks to all!

what are your favorite brands for bars (fruits, nuts) and where do you guys usually buy them?
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:16   #21
one shot one hit marker

once on a day long simulation i filled my portable bladder with monster(and water not it make it too concentrated) that worked good all never do it again thow.

Last edited by one shot one hit marker; May 3rd, 2011 at 08:19..
one shot one hit marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 15:24   #22
LouisZimmerman

+1 to the sport drink powders: lets you mix to the concentration that you like, and is much cheaper than the pre-mixed stuff!
Water is heavy, so I usually don't fill my camelback completely. I'll run about 1.5 L in the bladder, and bring a 2L pop bottle full of water onto the field in my backpack, plus a bottle of gatoraid. (Won't put it in my hydration system.) I've usually got another 2L H2O back at the car. I'm a type 1 diabetic, so I always carry some form of carbs: granola or fruit bars, usually: in my vest so I'll have them if I need them. I also carry a sandwich (often a large Safeway lumberjack style) in my backpack, which gets left at the re-spawn point.
A suggestion for those who are really having electrolyte issues: carry a few small salt packages with you (the postage stamp size things you get from fast food places). This provides an easily accessable, small dose of salt should you need it.
L.
LouisZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 15:28   #23
Crunchmeister

I'll usually have a camelback with water and some jerky and granola / energy bars on the field. Sometimes I'll also bring some trail mix with me.

Off field during breaks, I'll have some Gatorade or other sports drinks and some sandwiches. Often, I'll have an IMP / MRE for my main meal when I happen to have some on hand.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 20:00   #24
Grizzly0679

Just searching for a thread on M.R.E.s and came across this.

For a day you just need to worry about keeping yourself going. I'd say Gatorade or the equivalent for its electrolytes, and something with carbs for foods. People suggest things like jerky which is good, but it would seem carbs would be better than protein since glycogen which you get from carbs is essentially energy for your muscles. For 6 - 8 hours though it's really just calories. I always found certain granola bars great for a simple snack that can pack an easy 200calories.

on a side but related note, does anyone know of a local store(Montreal) that sells M.R.E.s? I need some in less than 2 weeks and I'm worried ordering them will come late.
Here we are again bro -just you and me. Same kind of moon same kind of jungle. Real number 10 remember? Whole platoon, 32 men chopped into meat... We walk out just you and me, nobody else. Right on top huh? Not a scratch... Not a fuckin' scratch... - Sgt.Mac, Predator
Grizzly0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 20:07   #25
Kingsix

Pretty much the same stuff I eat when I go camping

Lots of water sometimes mixed with powered juice mix

Pepperoni sticks - I think I am famous for eating them at long games now
Canned Soup- Downtime/lunch

Things I've eaten in the past at games
Loaves of bread- I get them from the Asian Supermarkets

Rice followed by
Spam
Canned Fish
Corned Beef
Fruit bars
Packet of Nescafe 3 in 1 packet coffee (really tasty instant coffee)
Old July 22nd, 2012, 20:33   #26
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave

I carry a 2L camelbak and freeze some 500ml plastic bottles of water before the game. During breaks, I'll refill the bladder by using my folding knife to cut a circular ring around the base of one of the bottles, another cut up the length of the bottle, and then I just squeeze the block of ice into my camelbak which will melt from the heat and keep the water cold.
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 20:57   #27
dwsage

I am not a very good example since I have awful habits.
between games I was having cigars and drinking from those 710ml of monster energy drinks
But I do have a 3L hydration pack on and drink throughout the day as well as eat various clif bars between games. I like them because they fit perfectly in a STANAG pouch and it makes me feel more tacticool. lol
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:50   #28
Covax

PowerBar also has these new ‘smoothie’ carbohydrate bars that are awesome if only for the fact they don’t melt like their chocolate-based bars do. After games I’ve taken to munching on a PowerBar ‘Revovery’ bar; tends to hold me over if it’ll be 3-4 hours until a real meal (say a game ends at 4 and dinner’s at 8).

Mid game lunch for a 8-12 hr game (or related level of active day) I’ve found small sandwiches made out of flatbreads are best for me. PC Thins are my favorite bread to use; any type of cold cut, slice of cheese, no condiments. Apples and/or pear for fruit. Oranges are great nutritionally… just messy as all hell and it’s not the time to get sticky fingers.
Covax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:07   #29
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

My hydration prep begins the night before the game.. I will buy a 6 pack of gatorade, refrigerate 2-3 and freeze the rest.

I will also refrigerate and freeze a split of maybe 6 or 7L of water.

All this I bring to the field in a cooler, plus sandwiches and granola bars. Sandwiches if you have time to sit down, if you're not feeling up to it, snack on granola bars... 3 or 4 over the day gets me through. Not the super dry ones, but the sort of gooey ones.

Game day for fluids, I will carry up to 3L of water on my vest depending on type of game, though recently it's dropped to 1.5-2L cause I've been playing shorter games. I will take 1 bottle of liquid gatorade in a pouch... This is mainly to back up the water. Sometimes you get turned off the taste of water even though you need it.. you just can't get it down. A few sips of gatorade kind of reset my palate to let me get back on the water. I sip whenever I can, and I try to force myself to remember and take a sip even when I don't feel like it. One, like m102404 said, and two, you don't know when you will get another opportunity. You could be hugging the dirt for a few hours.

On skirmish I tend to go lighter, so 1-1.5L of water, 1 bottle. Leave the cooler at the safezone. In milsim, I bring the cooler onto the field to wherever the team camp is so I can refill. Depending on how I'm feeling after the first bottle of gatorade, I will pick between frozen and liquid, overtime it unfreezes as I carry it, guaranteeing that I have a really cold beverage when I'm really dying. I brought myself back from a really bad state by having it ready either on me or in the cooler.

You should always be sweating. Not sweating means you're on a dangerous threshold.
Also if you feel nauseous it's a super bad sign.

In the most extreme cases of lots of sweating/loss of electrolytes, gatorade will not replenish all of them. Basic sports drinks only have salt, poweraide has a bit of potassium.

You also need magnesium and calcium... in extreme cases, I have supplement tablets for the rest, though those jelly beans mentioned before might be tastier. Cramping and muscle twitching are signs that you are either dehydrated or low on electrolytes, though be careful when supplementing you CAN have too much. Same with water, too much at once will just flush through your body and not be absorbed. I had a bad experience with that as well, that's why sipping over time is a good thing.

I always bring way more fluids than I think I'll need. Better to go home with unopened bottles than run out midday. Most I ever consumed I think was 6L of water and 3L of gatorade in a 24 hour game. It was hooooooot.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:34   #30
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Water Water Water. Pre Mixed Gatosauce (Gatorade) in my Camalbak I also carry atleast 1 bottle of water. I only sip from the Camalbak and drink the water (24 bottle packS) bottles. As for food. I'm looking to get MREs for Deadfall but at Rhino. Cliff Bars, Protein Bars, Trail Mix, and Jerky will be my snacks and Ravioli will be my meals.

Last edited by Curo; July 23rd, 2012 at 11:38..
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General