Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

ICS L85A2 Pinion Gear

:

Doctor's Corner

Old September 10th, 2010, 17:14   #1
Loops

ICS L85A2 Pinion Gear

Hey, I am at the end of my rope with this problem.
I broke the wire connectors off my original motor and thought I could just replace it with another ICS turbo 3000 short motor but the gear will not mesh with the one in the mechbox. I didn't notice it at the time but the L85 pinion gear is bigger than the standard gear on the ICS motors.
I have tried to find what gear I need through my local shop but they are stumped. I have also tried the Chih Shivan website, forums and have emailed Mach 1 airsoft a few times but they won't get back to me.
I appreciate any help you can offer. I have only gamed this gun once and all I want to do is go out and play airsoft. Thanks.
Loops.
Loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 19:10   #2
Brayden
¡¡¡ɹǝʞɐǝɹq oqɯoɔ-ɔ-ɔ-ɔ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops View Post
Hey, I am at the end of my rope with this problem.
I broke the wire connectors off my original motor and thought I could just replace it with another ICS turbo 3000 short motor but the gear will not mesh with the one in the mechbox. I didn't notice it at the time but the L85 pinion gear is bigger than the standard gear on the ICS motors.
I have tried to find what gear I need through my local shop but they are stumped. I have also tried the Chih Shivan website, forums and have emailed Mach 1 airsoft a few times but they won't get back to me.
I appreciate any help you can offer. I have only gamed this gun once and all I want to do is go out and play airsoft. Thanks.
Loops.
?
http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1748
weld the extra set to the motor.

Last edited by Brayden; September 10th, 2010 at 19:18..
Brayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 22:50   #3
Loops

I wish I would have posted this before I tried to fix it myself. I completely mangled the motor trying to fix the motor connectors. It was ugly. Is it possible to remove the pinion gear from the motor? It looks like the gear is machine pressed onto the the drive shaft.
Thanks for replying so quickly.
Old September 10th, 2010, 22:54   #4
ebfud

should be easy enough with a pair of pliers instead of messign around with a pinion puller

ill just add how to here
it doesnt matter if you have a long or short motor you can use
a pair of needle nose pliers to pry off the pinion gear, using
the very end of the pliers like a lever to push up on the
pinion and down on the motor and every so often move the
pliers further onto the motor shaft to get better leverage it
should come right off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I say we go over there, knock on their door and politely ask them to stop...with a cruise-missile...to the face.

Last edited by ebfud; September 10th, 2010 at 22:59..
ebfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 16:37   #5
Loops

Thanks Ebfud.
It's good to know that gear can be removed by hand. I'll give it a try when I go to work on monday. To connect the gear to the new motor shaft do you gently tap it in with a hammer or mallet or do you use a vice.
Old September 11th, 2010, 17:52   #6
venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops View Post
Thanks Ebfud.
It's good to know that gear can be removed by hand. I'll give it a try when I go to work on monday. To connect the gear to the new motor shaft do you gently tap it in with a hammer or mallet or do you use a vice.
A vise or c-clamp will gently push the pinion onto the shaft.

Visit us at :www.ventureairsoft.ca
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:16   #7
Kos-Mos

A good way to remove the pinion easy is to heat it with a lighter for about 30 seconds, then place it in a pair or pliers, so that the pliers are on the section os the pinion juste before the teeth. Then place the pliers on a hard surface and hammer on the motor shaft with a punch or small screw driver. It should come out with 5-10 taps with not damage at all.

To press the pinion back on the motor, you can go with the hammering, but make sure to place something hard in contact with the other end of the motor shaft. If not, you can break the motor's bearing or move the armature. You don't want this to happen.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner