Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Metal M4 receiver vs Baked Ceramic coating ?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old August 28th, 2011, 14:13   #1
Pre-1898

Metal M4 receiver vs Baked Ceramic coating ?

I am presently in the process of having my metal KJW M4 receiver CNC engraved with Canadian C8 markings, and then I am planning to coat it with a bake on flat black ceramic coating. The '' HIC'' is that the ceramic coating requires the part to be put in the oven at high temperature and I am not sure how tolerent is the aluminum receiver to temperature. I wish not to warp or crack it. Have anyone did this before ?
Pre-1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 16:26   #2
HKGhost

I don't recommend doing any special coating or anything with really high temperature. Most of these receivers are made from Aluminum alloy and monkey metal so it can melt or deform easily. Other than powder coating and duracoat (I know these work), most other treatments can ruin the receiver.

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 17:48   #3
WingZER0

Are you referring to cerakote? If so then I don't think it should be an issue. Cerakote's oven bake temperature specifies 250°F for 2 hours optimal hardening.

If you're really not sure, cerakote can also air dry but requires 5 days undisturbed at room temperature.
WingZER0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 18:00   #4
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZER0 View Post
Are you referring to cerakote? If so then I don't think it should be an issue. Cerakote's oven bake temperature specifies 250°F for 2 hours optimal hardening.

If you're really not sure, cerakote can also air dry but requires 5 days undisturbed at room temperature.
250F is not even hot yet... even the pot metal crap will take it properly.

High temperature is in the 500F range...
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 20:37   #5
Pre-1898

It is actually a silica-ceramic coating ( Make VHT) sold bu Canadian Tire for headers so it is also chemical and oil proof once fully cured.

The instruction say to : Bake at 250 F for 30 min. then let it cool for 30 min then back in the oven at 400 F then cool down for 30 min then bake again at 600 F which I believe would be a WAY too hot but again this is the proceeding for headers.

I was planning to do it at 300 F max. I can also let it air cure for 7 days at room temperature according to instructions. but I would think baking it would be better.

Last edited by Pre-1898; August 28th, 2011 at 20:41..
Pre-1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications