Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tippmann M4 Carbine Airsoft?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old December 16th, 2014, 23:31   #376
Caelan

Buffer Tube Size

As for Tippmann saying the buffer tube is compatible with most airsoft stocks Id have to disagree with that. Ive found two nice butt stocks Ive liked and both will not fit on the buffer tube as it seems that it is a little bigger then the average airsoft buffer tube (width wise).

Mabye the Tippmann is closer to a real mil spec buffer tube and is more compatible with real steel butt stocks....not really sure??? Has anybody else tried to change out their stock yet and had any success?

Last edited by Caelan; December 16th, 2014 at 23:36..
Caelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 23:43   #377
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
From what I've read and seen, the buffer tube should be Milspec, some airsoft stocks won't fit.

PS. Found some numbers for tank size and shots, apparently its relatively accurate.

Gas Air Efficiency on HPA / CO2

Official Numbers from Tippmann.

Shots per source:

12 g Co2 = 80 shots
9 oz Co2 = 1700 shots
20 oz Co2 = 3800 shots
68 cu in HPA @ 4500 psi = 4400 shots
48 cu in HPA @ 4500 psi = 3120 shots
48 cu in HPA @ 3000 psi = 1920 shots

(actual results may vary due to atmospheric conditions, tests performed at 72°F)

Though nothing on the 13/3000, dunno if scaling down the 48/3000 would be accurate but its about 520 shots if you do? Don't know much about HPA tanks so might be completely wrong.

Last edited by beta678; December 16th, 2014 at 23:55..
beta678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:54   #378
SuperHog

It is not mil spec either, but close. It will wobble if you put mil spec stocks on it. Best to leave it stock. The grips are also proprietary, so forget the Magpul.

It would be interesting if mil spec hand guards actually fits in place of the stock plastic ones.

If you could regulate HPA down to <100psi, I am pretty sure you can boost the efficiency for more shot from a smaller tank.

Last edited by SuperHog; December 17th, 2014 at 08:23..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:33   #379
SuperHog

Its too bad that Tippmann did not make the bolt system actually cycle and chamber like a GBBR for greater realism.
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:54   #380
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
It is not mil spec either, but close. It will wobble if you put mil spec stocks on it. Best to leave it stock. The grips are also proprietary, so forget the Magpul.

It would be interesting if mil spec hand guards actually fits in place of the stock plastic ones.

If you could regulate HPA down to <100psi, I am pretty sure you can boost the efficiency for more shot from a smaller tank.
Hm... wonder if anyone can measure the buffer tube w/ calipers and get some exact measurements. Also wondering if its possible to replace the buffer tube w/ a real milspec one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
Its too bad that Tippmann did not make the bolt system actually cycle and chamber like a GBBR for greater realism.
Think if they did that, it'd pretty much be something closer to the modified WE/WA M4's running off an HPA line. I'm still quite curious about the recoil though, found a very good recoil comparison vid on a facebook group for tippmann users but really need to get one in hand to try it I guess.

Video for anyone's that interested.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=935452886482948
Old December 17th, 2014, 18:53   #381
SuperHog

Remember the Tippmann M4 is a paintball gun with a hop up and a 6mm barrel versus a .68 cal barrel. Because it is a in-line blow back design, the bolt/hammer is in the rearward position under spring tension and held by a sear. Once the trigger is pulled, the bolt/hammer is released and the bolt moves forward along with a striker (hammer) to hit the valve open.

In a GBBR, striker hits a valve, and once the bb leaves the barrel, the extra gas forces the bolt backwards against the buffer tube, and forward again to chamber the next bb into the hop up. The GBBR design is more realistic in operation and kick.

Here is a in-line animation based on a Tippmann A5 very similar to the Tippmann 98.
https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/vi...yfp-t-715&tt=b

The reason why the Tippmann kicks so hard, it is because of the >800psi operating pressure "forward kick". A GBBR achieves the "rearward kick" with >100psi. If you convert a GBBR to HPA, and bump up the pressure further, the kick would be even more realistic because it is rearward like in a RS.

All Tippmann had to do was to design their M4 with the in-line system reversed so the kick is "rearwards", but I guess paintball player getting into airsoft won't know the difference if the Tippmann M4 kicks "forward". https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=935452886482948

Last edited by SuperHog; December 18th, 2014 at 09:06..
Old December 17th, 2014, 21:05   #382
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Ah, that video helps. Haven't seen a good overview of the Tippmann M4 internals and I've never been interested in paintball enough to look too in-depth into how they function. Its an interesting design, agree w/ you that it lacks the realism you find in our GBBR's.
Old December 18th, 2014, 18:23   #383
Caelan

I believe there is a added recoil system in the buffer tube..... I was told that its spring noise is common with the 98 system. The Tippmann Twang they call it So i do not think you could change out the buffer tube.
Old December 18th, 2014, 21:15   #384
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelan View Post
I believe there is a added recoil system in the buffer tube..... I was told that its spring noise is common with the 98 system. The Tippmann Twang they call it So i do not think you could change out the buffer tube.
Maybe if you use a stiffer spring, the the rearward kick would be stronger than the forward kick making it more realistic and eliminate the twang.

Last edited by SuperHog; December 19th, 2014 at 09:07..
Old December 19th, 2014, 17:04   #385
Caelan

To be honest the gun doesnt need anymore kick. It has a great recoil to it. Super crisp and snappy. Its really just perfect .

The only downfall is the buffer tube size....but i finally managed to modify my CAA stock and got it to fit just perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-12-19 15.14.31.jpg (1.19 MB, 69 views)

Last edited by Caelan; December 19th, 2014 at 17:15..
Old December 19th, 2014, 20:32   #386
shinobii

We've got them in stock and will be posting them up on our website tomorrow.
Click here for our in store review.
Like Us on FACEBOOK
Follow Us on Twitter

Store Hours of Operation:
Tue-Wed: 11:00am-5:00pm
Thurs: 11:00am-8:00pm
Fri: 11:00am-5:00pm
Sat: 10:00-5:00pm

Retail Store Address: 237 Toryork Drive, Toronto Ontario.
shinobii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 21:11   #387
Wrath144
formerly steyr

Here's a question:
If you use the Tippmann magazines without CO2 in conjunction with a remote line, will it still lock back on empty?
Old December 20th, 2014, 09:18   #388
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath144 View Post
Here's a question:
If you use the Tippmann magazines without CO2 in conjunction with a remote line, will it still lock back on empty?
It should always lock back in the cocked position since the mechanics are a in-line blow back mechanism. But the open position is so minimal like 1/2"

It does appear partially open like the early gens of the GBBR's which did not look real at all so today's GBBR's are are all open bolt designs. Maybe Tippmann will fix that for future guns and give free conversion for 1st gen customers.

I also wonder when the air run low on this Tippmann M4 does it fart just like the paintball Tippmann 98 guns?
Old December 20th, 2014, 09:21   #389
Caelan

Yes hog it does do the tippmann fart . And Superhog is right the lock back is so minimal you dont really notice it.
Old December 29th, 2014, 23:50   #390
Caelan

Just changed out my inner barrel to a 6.03 madbull python. Nice to see Tippmann using a g&g green bucking as a stock bucking. Definitely in my opinion the best bucking around .
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion