Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

best way to mount GoPro and Contour

:

Accessories Discussion

Old August 20th, 2012, 11:11   #1
SuperHog

best way to mount GoPro and Contour

I am looking at getting either a GoPro or Contour. I have not decided if I will mount it on my helmet or gun.

Can people post up pics on how theirs is mounted.

I was told that from the paintball side that the Relay camera is better than the GoPro and Contour, but I have not heard of airsofters using it.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:29   #2
SF_Chewy

I have the ContourHD.

Two methods I use:
1. Mount on the side with the provided goggle strap mount. Depending on the type of goggles you wear this may work well. Paintball masks generally have a hard side/soft ear which holds the camera very well. Tactical goggles tend to let the camera flop around a bit more. I feel the shots you get from this type of mount have a bit more character (you see what the player is seeing, mostly). Problem is is that the mount is on one side of your head, so the view may be obstructed

2. Mount on gun with picatinny mount. Very sturdy, doesn't flop on any of my guns (ACR, TAR, M4). I mount it like I would mount a PEQ (almost looks like a larger one). The shots are very nice, you can see where all your shots are going and provides nice kill cams. Problem with this is that you have to point the gun in the direction of your shot, so you get quite a bit of "looking at the ground" effect.

Unfortunately I don't wear a helmet, but I'm told that those mounts work well. I believe with some helmets you can use the Picatinny mount, or there are helmet specific mounts.

With regards to the ReplayXD. It looks like a fine camera. I believe the camera itself fits into flashlight mounts and it is smaller than the other two.
SF_Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:04   #3
MultipleParadox

I have a Contour GPS, love it.

Before buying it I looked at a few video comparison of the GoPro Hero, Contour 1080, and Replay. I was not impressed by the quality and framerate of the replay quite a bit when compared to the two others.

The GoPro Hero and Contour 1080 seemed to be pretty comparable, each with their respective strength and weakness. I'm not sure about the Hero2, as it was not released when I checked.

I tend to prefer the Contour, especially the GPS and Contour+ version for their ability to pair to a Android Device or iPhone through bluetooth to allow setting modifications on the field, and "streaming" the video to the device to align your shot and set the white balance and what not according to the actual weather conditions.

The Contour as a slimmer profile and is more suitable for airsofting I think, especially when mounted on an helmet with ARC rails or Contour's side mount, or on a gun (I can't imagine how a GoPro would look and be annoying mounted on a picatinny rail...!)

The GoPro have a bit more accessories available and are a bit easier to get, but whatever Contour offer will suit most needs I think. Buying accessories online will save you a few bucks anyways, so that make them easily obtainable as well :P

Contour had some pretty sick deal in the past few months to try to outsell GoPro (I guess) which is more popular, being on the market for longer, etc etc.

Your call really, it'll all boil down to personal preference in the end. The GPS function of the Contour GPS is pretty neat as well

===
Edit to better answer OP's specific questions regarding mounts:

IF you have a helmet, the best way to mount the GoPro would be on the VAS shroud as they make a mount specifically for that

The Contour has side mount you can stick to your helmet if you don't have ARC rails. If you have ARC rails, the best mount would be OPS-Core custom mount, specifically made to mount a Contour on the ARC. That's what I use, it's very stiff and nice.

I tried the goggle strap mount; Didn't quite like it as the Cam's weight had me tighten the strap to it's max (leading to a headache, but I'm particularly prone to headaches) and it was still wobbling a bit but acceptable.

Contour also has a picatinny mount, so mounting to a gun is painless and quick. It's size even allow to mount it on a handgun, if the rail and barrel length is long enough (HAven't tried it on my HiCapa 4.3, but I'm almost sure it'd fit.

Take a look at the official mounting options on Contour's site: http://contour.com/products/accessories
haven't checked GoPro

Hope this help

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh

Last edited by MultipleParadox; August 20th, 2012 at 12:12..
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:23   #4
SF_Chewy

Here's a site that I use for some harder to get accessories for any of those cameras you listed:

http://pointofviewcameras.ca

They've been good to me, some of their prices may be a bit high. Research and shop accordingly.
SF_Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 15:28   #5
5kull

Tried most ways and now use either a helmet or my baseball cap with the strap provided. Fits nicely on your Airsoft but you end up filming the sky and the ground most of the time and when you do film the action you it moves all over the place to fast.

I like the contour because it's so stealthy but i purchased the Gopro for the quality of the pictures and a great price when on sale
5kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 15:47   #6
tygr701
"Back to you, Bob!"

Send a message via MSN to tygr701
I have a contour roam and I mount it on my helmet on the MICH ARC rails with a contour OPS-core mount.

TEAM MSF CHANNELS:
YouTube - Facebook - ASC - Instagram

Si vis pacem, para bellum
tygr701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 15:58   #7
jakster

Something that I'm going to try is to mount 2 Contours on a rail. One facing forward to catch 90% Ground and 10% action and another facing me to catch another view. Little bit of editing and it should make for a good show. I found alot of my mounts on E-Bay, just search Contour mounts and you'll find all sorts. Myself I prefer the Contour just for the size of it. It's a little less good in low light area's but overall I', really happy with it
jakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 16:03   #8
HeadlessChicken

By price point and picture quality, the GoPro tops Contour. Plus the weather/water proof armour is nice. I've only had it mounted on the headband strapped to my helmet ...here is one video I took with it. Keep in mind though in that video I didn't realize it was on and thought it was fucked up, and it was my first time trying to do some simple editing.

I haven't tried the Contour but it seems to have a lot more mounting options, especially geared for shooters. The bluetooth connection is especially nice, you can actually see where your camera is pointed while in use then adjust without removing the camera.
"Hey I'm the first one to say its a great country but its a straaaaange culture. This is a place where gun store owners are given a list of stolen credit cards but not a list of CRIMINALS and MANIACS. And now they're thinking of banning toy guns...AND THEY'RE GONNA KEEP THE F**KING REAL ONES!"
-George Carlin 1937 - 2008 (RIP buddy)
HeadlessChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 16:25   #9
MultipleParadox

Boom here's your deal : http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=144475
:P

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 23:31   #10
mmmken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultipleParadox View Post
.. and gone.

Thanks for the free advertising, lol! I may have another one for sale, but I'm still deciding.
Old August 21st, 2012, 16:44   #11
audi_bhoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmken View Post
.. and gone.

Thanks for the free advertising, lol! I may have another one for sale, but I'm still deciding.

Just the right package for me ! I wanted the Contour as I find it stealth compared to the go pro that sticks out of no where on top of the helmet.
audi_bhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 17:01   #12
Fallen
formerly Qc_Sarado

I saw some videos of players from France who mounted a gopro on his helmet. He strapped it with tie wrap or something else on thw NVG mount of his helmet and painted the protection case to match the helmet camo color. Gives really good results!
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:22   #13
SuperHog

Thank guys for all the suggestions and input.

I have been doing my research on the side as well. Excited to get a cam but got a few surprises when I contacted Contour tech.

As for starters, I will be going with either the Contour or RePlay because of their narrow profile better suited for airsoft.

In case you have not looked at the RePlay, is has two nice features over the Contour. It is smaller and does not have distortion which is call pin-cushion. Some of the videos taken with a head mounted Contour gives me motion sickness when a player moves so much. I think a shoulder mount would be better.

Although Contour has lots of accessories, I only need the picatinny mount.

The videos shot with the RePlay looks so much nicer even though the field of view is less. Even motion does not make me sick taken on the RePlay.

The shocker was a call to Contour. I was told that if lense cover on the Contour was shot and damaged by any projectile, warranty is void. This makes me think of the GoPro, but I don't like the bulky look of it. Have anyone had their lense cover shot at?

Last edited by SuperHog; August 22nd, 2012 at 10:03..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 13:23   #14
mmmken

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
Thank guys for all the suggestions and input.

I have been doing my research on the side as well. Excited to get a cam but got a few surprises when I contacted Contour tech.

As for starters, I will be going with either the Contour or RePlay because of their narrow profile better suited for airsoft.

In case you have not looked at the RePlay, is has two nice features over the Contour. It is smaller and does not have distortion which is call pin-cushion. Some of the videos taken with a head mounted Contour gives me motion sickness when a player moves so much. I think a shoulder mount would be better.

Although Contour has lots of accessories, I only need the picatinny mount.

The videos shot with the RePlay looks so much nicer even though the field of view is less. Even motion does not make me sick taken on the RePlay.

The shocker was a call to Contour. I was told that if lense cover on the Contour was shot and damaged by any projectile, warranty is void. This makes me think of the GoPro, but I don't like the bulky look of it. Have anyone had their lense cover shot at?
You can buy the lens cover separately. It's an accessory.

Contour is awesome with their warranty support. I dropped mine into the ocean while diving (well, seatrek), and it fell to the bottom. I had a diver recover it immediately, but it was too late. Took it home and tried to repair it myself, but the board was done for sure when I cracked it open. Last ditch effort, I emailed Contour two weeks ago with what happened, and shipped my camera out to them. Immediately two days after they received it, I had a brand new one (in retail box) in my hands since they shipped it UPS expedited from WA, USA. Surprisingly, there was no brokerage or duties considering it was UPS - I guess they declared everything properly. Not to mention that the warranty period was probably over anyway (180 days I think, I had it for about 8 months now).

Fantastic customer service. These guys are definitely competent.

Having that said, I'm selling this one too now with a rifle mount and extra stuff.

Might want to decide quick though considering how fast my other one sold, lol.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 14:40   #15
CR0M

pros and cons to both equally... I like the gopro for its indestructibility , honestly, theres vids of it being dropped from 30 000 feet and shotgun blasted from 10 yards and its still fine...

I used one of the 3m mounts on the side of my gun like this

it can easily detach, and at night time when using a IR light it acts as night vision (when you buy the screen attachment like i have) ... does it film the best stuff from there? no ... on a helmet it sticks out like a sore thumb, the contour is the way to go for helmet footage... which is the best type of footage i think

Last edited by CR0M; August 22nd, 2012 at 14:43..
CR0M is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion