Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G&G Kar98k (G980)

:

Reviews

Old February 21st, 2012, 01:55   #16
kullwarrior

wow, being $400 for a gas rifle and yet it has this kinda issue sure makes one scratch his head. atleast ARES AW338 didnt have these.
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:09   #17
Fuji

Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
wow, being $400 for a gas rifle and yet it has this kinda issue sure makes one scratch his head. atleast ARES AW338 didnt have these.
I wish it was only $400...$650 here.
Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:17   #18
Kingsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiu View Post
Just don't expect it to feel as nice as a real steel Kar98k? I haven't compared it side by side with a real one, but maybe this weekend I will... (Never touched the real steel one before so will have to see )

My friend wasn't too impressed by it, but I personally don't regret getting it, considering we don't really have much alternatives... He complained about the rear sight wobble, and how it doesn't seem heavy enough. (Although it is 9 lbs with the mag in, which is comparable to an actual kar98k weight I guess)

The ACM one seems promising, but we won't know till it comes out anyways.

If I can get it to shoot under 450 FPS by the end of this week I will definitely bring it to the WW2 game, if not, I'll have to use a stripped down modern gun for the WW2 game T.T
Maybe I'm just used to heavy guns, Considering the price compared to the current "non shell ejecting" alternatives tanaka kar98. Only time will tell if the ACM Kar98 is any good. But I wasn't impressed with the quality of metal it's a soft alloy.

Magazine had a rough feel to it. Cast alloy with some machining.

Bolt cycle was really light as expected of a gas rifle, Probably 2 fingers is enough to pull the bolt back. I belive Hammer is cocked on bolt open, maybe I'm wrong I only held the rifle for a few minutes. Trigger pull could be lighter but it's passable it's a combat rifle not a target rifle.

Plastic faux cleaning rod ruins it abit. Rear sight has some play to it. Wood is run of the mill soft wood similar to the wood on my Daisy 753 rifle. I haven't held a real Kar98 and am only comparing the feel to a Real Mosin nagant carbine.

If indeed the G&G kar98 is compatible with RA tech Tanaka parts it may be a gun that can be improved via 3rd party modifications. Shims for the Rearsight, Real cleaning rod to replace the plastic one. Steel Hammer, Trigger sear and only hard wearing moving parts.

Aftermarket Green gas magazines would be nice *ACM companines take hint*

I want to weigh that gun, I swear it's lighter than my Type 56, I don't belive in the weight. The gun must be around 5-6 pounds and the magazine is around 1-2 pounds.
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:33   #19
kaiu

Actually there isn't any plastic parts on the G&G kar98k, the faux cleaning rod seems to be a simple aluminum short rod that screws onto the body.

I weighed it myself, it IS 7.4 lbs, and the mag is 1.6 lbs, wasn't taken from an online source. Granted the 7.4 lbs is much lighter than most airsoft guns, but the total of 9 lbs seems to be right in terms of the real weight of a Kar98k.

I agree with the mag being disappointing lol, nice heft weight, but really cheap pot metal in general T.T

I am satisfied with the externals though *minus the flimy semi/safety switch, shakes on semi, but solid on safety* It is like Cyma and Dboy's kind of metal, so ok considering most of the body is supported by the wood anyways. I didn't notice the rear sight had some play until you mentioned it though.

The magazine you looked at was damaged when I tried to take out the CO2 cartridge, and ended up drilling it. That WAS a mistake on my part though because I didn't completely clear out all the remaining gas, and I guess the cartridge kinda expanded in size... (Manually opening the valve to clear out any remaining air prevented the stuck cartridge issue from occurring again, although I guess I still plan to bring a portable drill around to games if I will be using it in case )

Hammer is cocked on bolt open, and safety can only be engaged after you close the bolt with the hammer cocked of course. Weak parts I am worried about other than steel hammer...
- Trigger catch that holds the hammer (and releases it). I only see paint scratches for now...
- That other pushy thing in one of my pictures above that is hit by the hammer.

Thanksfully my Steel Hammer shows it has arrived in Mississauga, so hopefully I can get it this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
I wish it was only $400...$650 here.

The G&G G980 definitely cost me approx. $650 w/ the extra mag in country. Capital Airsoft does have it on their site also for $650 w/ 1 mag I believe. (And Forever_Kaos did mention something about G&G G980's coming in March to Canada)

Land Warrior Airsoft also emailed saying they will be receiving the 380 FPS mags in a month a couple weeks ago, so probably also March.

So far the only upgrade I can get my hands on though is the steel hammer coming in for just under $50. I do hope they produce at least a steel trigger assembly, and even a steel bolt though...

The only complaint I personally have is just the poor internals, but I was told the Tanaka also had this problem for their cocking hammer, and it IS based off the Tanaka system I guess... (too bad it didn't come pre-upgraded if it was a common issue on the Tanaka)

Last edited by kaiu; February 21st, 2012 at 12:13..
kaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:17   #20
kaiu

Another small update...
Received my Steel Cocking Hammer from BB Dragon! Unfortunately, according to them the Tanaka ones by RA-Tech won't work since the G&G is still slightly a different design from the Tanaka. (EMS was literally 2 day shipping)

The difference between the G&G (has a groove on it) one and the Steel CWI Airsoft one...

While disassembling, here is a picture of what the internal of the bolt looks like... You have to disassemble and reassemble into the tube, I just screwed them together so I didn't lose parts

And FINALLY after spamming 100 or so shots... NO WEAR at all!!!

Unfortunately, only issue, though not any big one imo...

It is slightly wider than the original, so it does bang into the wood and that metal area when using the bolt, and does damage the sides where it enters back in slightly...

While spamming 100 shots as fast as I could with BBs... (On my good mag) It averages around 580 FPS. However, as long as you pause, it will shoot at 620 FPS again. Shooting too fast, also means every 30 or so shots... it will probably misfire a bb, and you will need to use a cleaning rod to get the bb out I guess... (Happened twice when I was spamming 100 shots...)

I did notice after 30 shots you will need to change the CO2 cartridge otherwise it is literally not strong enough to shoot additional BBs too... But 30 shots isn't too bad since it is approx. 3 reloads anyways. Perhaps the lower FPS mags will be able to last a bit longer.

Last edited by kaiu; February 22nd, 2012 at 12:20..
Old February 22nd, 2012, 13:19   #21
Fuji

Thumbs up Thumbs up!

Thanks for all these reports about the rifle....even though it has a few hiccups, I am still considering to purchase it.

Are you bringing it to the game on Saturday?
Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 13:56   #22
kaiu

I will bring it to the game w/ approx. 3 CO2 cartridges to test in the chrony zone.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:42   #23
caster0007

Review g980 g&g

i have the solution for your FPS problems and it is on done on the outflow of the magazine in combination with tightening the valve spring inside.
caster0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 15:57   #24
Kampfgruppe

I recently received a G&G K98 - having a few real rifles in the past, the wood certainly isn't as robust as the real thing - I've seen a few dropped, with little damage - I wouldn't want to drop the G&G K98.....

I was wondering how it performed out in the field, specifically at the Feb game - if results were posted I apologize, as I didn't notice any....

The sling wasn't too bad ... the metal components were accurate, although the material was thinner than issued slings. For roughly $20, you can purchase accurate repros from landser.com

In ordering the steel cocking hammer from BB Dragon, I'm trying to figure out which symbols represent Ontario - any suggestions?
Kampfgruppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 16:01   #25
kaiu

I didn't game it, only shot it for fun, it shoots 250 feet without hopup pretty decent?

Around 150 feet, it feels like being shot by a 400 fps gun in CQB... (This was when it was snowing and windy lol)

Shoots a bit too hot, still haven't gotten my hands on the lower FPS mags since they still haven't received them...

For ordering from BB Dragon, I just sent an email, and they replied with a quote... (EMS Shipping cost $14.28, but took literally 2 days to get)

I believe someone on the forums maybe Kullwarrior? Mentioned how he called them instead, but had to use mandarin to talk to them.
Old March 28th, 2012, 16:10   #26
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiu View Post
I believe someone on the forums maybe Kullwarrior? Mentioned how he called them instead, but had to use mandarin to talk to them.
They can speak english, but I just can't stand the heavy accent and Chinese colliqual words used. Ie they call checkout as cashbox (in Chinese it means heading to the cash register)

//sent on my smartphone, I apologized for any unchecked spellcheck//
Old April 30th, 2012, 14:58   #27
Strelok

Anyone have experience with the v2 bolt yet?
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:05   #28
Strelok

Whee,

Has anyone tried the magazines in actual K98 pouches? Do they fit? Got a k98 on the way.

Thanks!
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 16:03   #29
Forever_kaos

I don't see them fitting at all, as stripper clips were held in the pouches (2 in each cell, so 6 in grand total) and not magazines

I believe G43 pouches would be your best bet.
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 16:16   #30
kaiu

I have the V2 bolt, I opted to use the custom steel one I got already since it was CNC'd not cast

They should both hold up though.

The mags themselves do not fit, however, the part that holds the BBs fits perfectly in my Pioneer Kar98k clip pouches if that matters lol... Considering each CO2 charge can shoot approximately 40-50 shots, it's not too bad if you mind slightly slower reloading times, but not too bad.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews