Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Convert real steel M4 to Airsoft?

:

Newbie Tank

Old March 2nd, 2009, 15:39   #1
Mister Donut

Convert real steel M4 to Airsoft?

Hey guys, I know that governments and law enforcement is concerned about airsoft guns being converted to real fire arms, but has anyone done the reverse engineering? Convert real steel to airsoft? Because I was just looking at some classifieds and doing a bit of comparison, and sometimes real steel is cheaper than airsoft.

Right now, I've got a TM M4....what can I say? I like the M4/M16 series. I can't really say that I'm shopping, but I am always looking at what's available, and it seems like if you're not upgrading your standard issue AEG with metal bodies and upgraded internals, then the PTW or GBB M4s are the way to go.

I think I like the GBB, but mags are hard to come by and I've read that some GBB break down after a while.

I saw a WA M4 GBB on Craigslist listed for 2K.....now compare that to a real steel CQ 5.56 M4/C8 Style Semi Automatic Carbine for $899 CAD.

So, the question is, has it been done or ever considered? Take out the working parts of the real gun, swap in something like what they use in PTWs for airsoft days, then switch back for days on the range?

I imagine this is quite a stupid question, and that's why I hope I won't get so many tomatos thrown at me in this section.
Mister Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 15:41   #2
Amos

... I'm guessing it would be over 2 grand to get the machining work done to a realsteel M4 to even fit a gearbox or something like that in it.

Not to mention that even that I'm pretty sure modifying a real firearm like that illegal.

You're basically talking about engineering a drop in kit for real-steel guns... Pointing real guns at other people is never a good idea, even if they're disabled.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 15:43   #3
Crunchmeister

Oh man. Just the legalities of this makes it far more than I want to touch...
Old March 2nd, 2009, 15:45   #4
The Saint

The legality isn't that terrible, all things considered. But it sure as hell ain't practical in the least.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 15:45   #5
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Donut View Post

I imagine this is quite a stupid question, and that's why I hope I won't get so many tomatos thrown at me in this section.
Well you are right in that regard..

being able to swap out parts to make it a AS gun and being able to swap back does not alter the condition of the AR-15 in question being a restricted firearm.

It would still fall under all the restrictions of the firearms mode when in AS mode.

Impractical.. pointless
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 16:12   #6
Mister Donut

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured, there's no cheap way around it. I guess I'll have to keep the two worlds separate.

When I started reading more about airsoft, and all the new products coming out, I started to feel that my AEG was already dated. I picked it up last year in Japan for about $230 CAD and thought I was getting a helluva deal. Now I'm seeing all these PTWs and GBBs with the added realism, action, metal parts etc.... and I'm thinking "Hmmmm...maybe that's why my AEG was so cheap".

When I read more about the GBB and the PTWs, it made me think what a POS my AEG was, and how cool and realistic these other guns are, how they mimic real guns so closely. But mine's not really all that bad. It's got some metal parts, but it's mostly plastic, it's not as realistic as some of the GBB and PTWs, but in the end, it's a toy, like all of the others and it works fine and will do the job - and that is to provide me hours of fun without sending me to jail.

Anyways, I drooled over the idea of a GBB M4, but I've got an AEG that works fine and doesn't really need replacing. I think I'll still pick up the carbine for fun on the range though, and try not to obsess too much over realism when playing airsoft.

Thanks for the info guys.

Last edited by Mister Donut; March 2nd, 2009 at 16:15..
Old March 2nd, 2009, 16:15   #7
The Saint

Don't idealize PTWs based only on reading about them. Find a chance to try one in person. You might not actually enjoy it in person as much as you would in your imagination.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 16:21   #8
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Don't idealize PTWs based only on reading about them. Find a chance to try one in person. You might not actually enjoy it in person as much as you would in your imagination.
+1. Got to try a couple of them so far - 1 stock, one VERY upgraded. They feel nice to hold, but otherwise, left me unimpressed. My CA M15 was a far better gun, more solid, doesn't need to be handled like a china doll for fear of breaking it, more accurate, and 1/3 of the price.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 16:34   #9
Mister Donut

You guys are absolutely right. Nothing is better than hands-on, first hand experience. I'll reserve my judgment of these guns until I actually try one myself. Now...the next question is....how do I buy all this man-crap without the wife finding out?
"Pacifism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old March 2nd, 2009, 16:41   #10
Tankdude

better to ask for forgiveness then premission.
Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 16:45   #11
The Saint

Trying to hide it from the wife gives the wife a +15 skill bonus to finding out. It might be better than write it off as exercise cost. Tell her it'll help you get rid of the roll around your waist line. If you don't have a roll around your waist, murder Cherry Garcia or Rocky Mountains until she starts complaining about your waist line.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 16:49   #12
LUTNIT

I believe standard ver.2 mechboxed armalites also have thicker receivers than real steel or PTW's. You would probably not even be able to fit a ver.2 mechbox into a real receiver, machined or not. I know for sure the grip wont fit unless you go with a PTW motor.
LUTNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 17:15   #13
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

IMO, it's impossible to convert.

And even if someone would be rich and foolish enough to try, it would be simpler to built the receiver from scratch.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 17:32   #14
Capt.Flan

Real steel metal is pretty hard and you really need a machinist that know what he is doing.

But to be honest if you have a real steel keep it. Save your money and honor.

It's probably possible but totally pointless and it will cost you way more then just buy a damm AEG...

Capt.Flan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 17:43   #15
Mister Donut

Judging by the quick string of replies, I realize now just how bone-headed the question was and not even worth thinking anymore about.

I'm glad there is a place on this forum to voice random thoughts in my head though, and not get stoned to death (or sprayed with BBs).

You guys have been really good about it and gave me a lot of info.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdude View Post
better to ask for forgiveness then premission.
Ha ha, I'm going to follow your advice. I'm just going to buy it and hope she doesn't notice.
"Pacifism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Last edited by Mister Donut; March 2nd, 2009 at 17:45..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank