joshua3302

VFC Avalon Calibur Carbine vs krytac trident 2

VFC Avalon Calibur Carbine vs Krytac Trident 2
Any thoughts?
joshua3302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 12:37   #2
devbro

the good old question and the usual simple answer:
They are both quality gun. out of the box krytac is better and stays the same as long as you don't try to open it. the parts inside are customized for higher performance and it makes any upgrades annoying even for the experienced techs.

VFC is better because it is easily modded and has many compatible parts for it. With a few upgrades (Which a lot of people do) it becomes better than krytac. even a novice can do these upgrades.

if you are not use, just get VFC.
VFC M4 MK18
CYMA AK47
TM MP5 First gen Rare find
TM MP5A5 with swordfish 2004
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 18:56   #3
joshua3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by devbro View Post
They are both quality gun. out of the box krytac is better and stays the same as long as you don't try to open it. the parts inside are customized for higher performance and it makes any upgrades annoying even for the experienced techs.

VFC is better because it is easily modded and has many compatible parts for it. With a few upgrades (Which a lot of people do) it becomes better than krytac. even a novice can do these upgrades.

Thanks that is a great answer.
The VFC also has a one year warranty.
Which upgrades to the VFC do you recommend? Hop up, piston , barrel?
Old June 10th, 2019, 19:31   #4
Freeze

I always say VFC > Krytac.

Krytacs are great out of the box, sure, but eventually, one day, you'll want to upgrade your gun. When that happens, Krytacs are a pain in the ass because they have some proprietary things, including their gearbox shell. Krytacs are also know for cracking bodies (just google Krycrack or something).

VFCs are known for their high quality externals. Their internals are ok, you can run with them for a fairly long time. Their parts compatibility is top notch.

TM G17 Loki Tactical Pink - TM G19 TTI Combat Master
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 19:51   #5
joshua3302

Quote:

How would you compensate for the Krytac having more power than the VFC? Upgrade internals then spring? I want to get the gun to about 420 fps.
Range and durability are my primary concerns. I think the VFC is better for durability, so how can I get equal or better range out of the VFC, hop up, barrel, spring?
Thanks for the advice.
Old June 10th, 2019, 20:19   #6
Ourindar

Honestly, I'm not even sure Krytacs are better than VFC out of the box anymore.
We had a father + son duo show up recently with a Krytac SPR and one of the newer VFC Avalons. I can't speak to accuracy, as I didn't get a chance to test that, but I tested their guns for function and chronoed them.
With exactly the same battery in both, the triggers felt identical on them. If it weren't for the flat trigger in the Krytac, I wouldn't have been able to tell them apart. Both equally snappy. No discernible difference in rate of fire.
The VFC chronoed a little hotter - the Krytac was just under 400 FPS, while the Avalon was about 405. Both had roughly the same consistency in their FPS readings if I remember right.

Is there any reason you're looking to shoot 420 FPS, and more importantly, does your local field allow it? 400 FPS on .2s/1.5J is a very common limit for guns capable of automatic fire in Canada, with quite a few fields being lower than that (I know many are 350 and the ones where I live are 380).

Realistically, you won't notice the difference between 390ish and 420 FPS, it'll just mean less fields let you play.

Edit: If you're looking for better ranged performance, before anything, get some heavier BBs (remembering that your FPS limit, strictly speaking, will be lower). Beyond that, a new barrel group and compression upgrades will go a whole lot further for accuracy than a spring change.

Last edited by Ourindar; June 10th, 2019 at 20:21..
Ourindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 21:48   #7
joshua3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourindar View Post
Honestly, I'm not even sure Krytacs are better than VFC out of the box anymore.
We had a father + son duo show up recently with a Krytac SPR and one of the newer VFC Avalons. I can't speak to accuracy, as I didn't get a chance to test that, but I tested their guns for function and chronoed them.
With exactly the same battery in both, the triggers felt identical on them. If it weren't for the flat trigger in the Krytac, I wouldn't have been able to tell them apart. Both equally snappy. No discernible difference in rate of fire.
The VFC chronoed a little hotter - the Krytac was just under 400 FPS, while the Avalon was about 405. Both had roughly the same consistency in their FPS readings if I remember right.

Is there any reason you're looking to shoot 420 FPS, and more importantly, does your local field allow it? 400 FPS on .2s/1.5J is a very common limit for guns capable of automatic fire in Canada, with quite a few fields being lower than that (I know many are 350 and the ones where I live are 380).

Realistically, you won't notice the difference between 390ish and 420 FPS, it'll just mean less fields let you play.

Edit: If you're looking for better ranged performance, before anything, get some heavier BBs (remembering that your FPS limit, strictly speaking, will be lower). Beyond that, a new barrel group and compression upgrades will go a whole lot further for accuracy than a spring change.

Thanks for your advice. My field allows 420 for AEG's 450 for DMR's. I played with a guy last week with an upgraded Krytac who seemed to be out ranging everyone.
Only the one field in my area, so close to 420 is my objective and if I travel I can always change the spring.
Was it a upgraded Avalon? I thought Avalons were about 370 fps. In a shooting test on youtube comparing the two, the Krytac had more fps and tighter groupings. Can't find any range comparisons of the two. But you do have a point. 30 fps won't make a difference, and the gun with the better hop up, cylinder and barrel will have more range.
If the VFC can match performance and possible beat performance with a few upgrades, plus is more durable, it sounds like the better choice.
Can't find much info on upgraded VFC Avalons
Old June 11th, 2019, 00:56   #8
devbro

for upgrades, depends on your budget and what you want to achieve,
to have more accurate shots: inner barrel and hopup
for faster FPS: spring
for higher RoF: motor, battery, gears,
for fancy electronic: new mosfet

if you are just getting into it, take a few month before upgrading, that way you get a sense as to what upgrade actually matter the most for you.
VFC M4 MK18
CYMA AK47
Old June 11th, 2019, 08:59   #9
joshua3302

Quote:
for upgrades, depends on your budget and what you want to achieve,
to have more accurate shots: inner barrel and hopup
for faster FPS: spring
for higher RoF: motor, battery, gears,
for fancy electronic: new mosfet

if you are just getting into it, take a few month before upgrading, that way you get a sense as to what upgrade actually matter the most for you.
I contacted a VFC rep and they replied they know of no upgrades for the Avalon Saber Carbine?
Old June 11th, 2019, 09:00   #10
joshua3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
I always say VFC > Krytac.

Krytacs are great out of the box, sure, but eventually, one day, you'll want to upgrade your gun. When that happens, Krytacs are a pain in the ass because they have some proprietary things, including their gearbox shell. Krytacs are also know for cracking bodies (just google Krycrack or something).

VFCs are known for their high quality externals. Their internals are ok, you can run with them for a fairly long time. Their parts compatibility is top notch.
I contacted a VFC rep and they replied they know of no upgrades for the Avalon Saber Carbine?
Old June 11th, 2019, 09:15   #11
devbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua3302 View Post
lol, walk into your local airsoft store and see how many upgrade options you got there.
VFC M4 MK18
CYMA AK47
Old June 13th, 2019, 12:10   #12
Hiker_Boy

Ok, sounds like you are really inexperienced. I was in this exact position with the same choices last year and I went with the Krytac because I was tired of upgrading a beginner gun. I have no regrets because the Krytac has performed perfectly for me and has not required anything....otoh, once I started to make small changes, I found it extremely hard to do because the Krytac resists all attempts...ie every fricken screw on that gun has loctite! If you want to change the flashhider...loctite! If you want to open it up and change the bucking...loctite on the screws that hold the pins in. It's a great gun but it's also frustrating as hell.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Hiker_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 17:06   #13
joshua3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker_Boy View Post
Ok, sounds like you are really inexperienced. I was in this exact position with the same choices last year and I went with the Krytac because I was tired of upgrading a beginner gun. I have no regrets because the Krytac has performed perfectly for me and has not required anything....otoh, once I started to make small changes, I found it extremely hard to do because the Krytac resists all attempts...ie every fricken screw on that gun has loctite! If you want to change the flashhider...loctite! If you want to open it up and change the bucking...loctite on the screws that hold the pins in. It's a great gun but it's also frustrating as hell.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Yeah bought a G and G combat raider starting playing airsoft a few months ago. I really like it but I am tired of being outranged on a number of one on one battles.
I narrowed it down to the Krytac Trident MK 2 or the VFC Avalon.
The Avalon I can upgrade, the Krytac not so easily, but will a slightly upgraded VFC be any better than a stock Krytac? The Krytac has more fps and the same if not better accuracy. But the stock may crack. The VFC has a one year warranty and will last longer. But replacing the Krytac stock is not too expensive.
Decisions, decisions?
Old June 26th, 2019, 21:24   #14
joshua3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua3302 View Post
VFC Avalon Calibur Carbine vs Krytac Trident 2
Any thoughts?
After a few weeks of research, I am now leaning towards the VFC.
It does not shoot as hot as the Krytac, but I think the range accuracy is just about the same. Plus there is the issue with the Krytac lower receiver cracking. This is a controversial topic with some claiming a Krytac conspiracy, but if you research it enough, I think it is more of a quality control issue. Maybe 1 out of 100. But who wants to take the chance if the VFC performs the same, will last longer and is more upgradable.

Just got a email from a VFC rep. The rep replied to all my questions quickly in regards to installing a hotter spring and she recommended a gear set upgrade along with a stronger spring. Great customer service!

Chart the rep sent me
VF9-SPG-M130-01 M135 spring 1 US$8.00
V000GRS130 torque use gear 1 1 US$7.00
V000GRS140 torque use gear 2 1 US$7.00
V000GRS150 torque use gear 3 1 US$7.00
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion